U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 PM

9 posts, read 35,360 times

Advertisements

How do Southeast Asians Filipinos/Malaysians/Indonesians/Singaporeans/Thais/Vietnameses/Laos/Burmeses/Cambodians look at one another?
Do they hate or like anyone specially?
How each of them thinks about ethnic Chinese those living in Southeast Asia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
There are historic rivalries, but not sure how much they come into play these days. The Thai and Burmese have been historic enemies, Thai and Lao have had territorial disputes, Vietnamese and Cambodians some recent disputes. I'm not sure how the Muslim world views these largely Buddhist nations.

The ethnic Chinese are often quite well off in these countries and often are business-owners. There's some resentment towards them in Indonesia especially, and Malaysia to a degree. Those Chinese immigrants to Thailand have integrated completely. Vietnam, like Korea, has always seen China has a big bully despite the strong cultural influence.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM

82 posts, read 202,037 times
ASEAN!

First off, doesn't matter which country you live in, we all have sibling like fights with our neighbors. Thailand vs Laos. Indonesia vs Malaysia, etc.
I think all SEA nations envy Singapore and Brunei for being wealthy nations.

Most of SEA are Indianized countries, so culturally wise, they're almost the same.
All with a glorious past: Sukhothai, Majapahit, Srivijaya, Khmer empires and the Le dynasty and many more.

The resentment towards the Chinese among the Muslims in SEA is decreasing. There's rather more of a problem about others not sharing the same beliefs than ethnics. (Even though Indonesia still embraces her Buddhist & Hindu background)
I don't think SEA countries truly hate each other, like lets say for example: India and Pakistan or Israel and Syria.
SEA has more of a resentment towards PRC due to the South China Sea territories.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The ethnic Chinese are often quite well off in these countries and often are business-owners. There's some resentment towards them in Indonesia especially, and Malaysia to a degree. Those Chinese immigrants to Thailand have integrated completely. Vietnam, like Korea, has always seen China has a big bully despite the strong cultural influence.
I had an Indonesian coworker who couldn't stand Chinese people, and her reasoning was basically the same; that they were rich, they owned businesses in Indonesia, treated them poorly in their own country, etc. Her and a Filipina coworker would comiserate on the topic from time to time; I'd never known that they were viewed negatively in those countries. I did date a Chinese-Vietnamese gal who never mentioned any sort of cultural issues and referred to herself as "Vietnamese," and a couple Thai-Chinese gals who would refer to themselves as either depending on the situation at hand, or context.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:11 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,535,820 times
Well the ethnic Chinese hold a vastly greater share of the private economy than their percentage of the population would suggest. No matter how fairly this wealth is acquired, it's going to remain a source of resentment and tension, especially during times of economic depression.

The religious differences in Malaysia and Indonesia doesn't really help in fostering deeper social relations between the ethnic groups either.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Seems like Philippines is pretty pro-southeast Asia. Maybe a bit too far removed to feel any rivalry or any negative feelings.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM

51 posts, read 147,676 times
In laos which is where i from, we kind of look down upon cambodian. From what i experienced other neighbor countries those share border with cambodia like vietnam and thailand tent to hate them too. For ethnic chinese in Laos seem to get along well with other ethnic in the country. In Thailand and Vietnam as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 PM

Why do they look down on Cambodians?

I'm also interested in how much Vietnamese see themselves as part of SE Asia, since in some ways they're the 'odd one out.'

Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 PM

51 posts, read 147,676 times
Quote:
Why do they look down on Cambodians?

I'm also interested in how much Vietnamese see themselves as part of SE Asia, since in some ways they're the 'odd one out.'
There are some kind of stereotyping about the looking in those three countries. other people will make some dirty joke with you if you were born with cambodian looking.

Quote:
For this question I think you will need to ask to some vietnamese themselves. I can't answer for you because I am not vietnamese but just use to live in vietnam. From what I seen some of them considered that they are southeast asian, while some are trying to claim that they are culturally northeast asian.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenIIX View Post
There are some kind of stereotyping about the looking in those three countries. other people will make some dirty joke with you if you were born with cambodian looking.

For this question I think you will need to ask to some vietnamese themselves. I can't answer for you because I am not vietnamese but just use to live in vietnam. From what I seen some of them considered that they are southeast asian, while some are trying to claim that they are culturally northeast asian.
Culturally they are part of the 'Sinosphere' and like Korea I'd say they were heavily influenced by China. A lot of Vietnamese culture seems indistinguishable from Chinese. The temples and pagodas, for instance, just look like the ones in China. I think the wats and architecture in Burma, Thailand and Cambodia are more classically Southeast Asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or