U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, I'd say 'perceived' western standards of beauty, from Asia.

Meanwhile, it seems that most westerners find Asian women quite attractive - slim figures, 'exotic' features, etc.

I've met many western women come over to Asia, and complain they just can't compete with the 'cute' factor of Asian girls, etc.

On the other hand, some western men do want a 'western' woman. But usually it's because of cultural reasons. Nothing to do with aesthetics.
Asian women are mostly petite, small-framed than their Western counterparts. Perhaps that just compliments the "cute" factor.

I guess you're one of the Westerners that find Asian girls particularly attractive?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:23 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, I'd say 'perceived' western standards of beauty, from Asia.

Meanwhile, it seems that most westerners find Asian women quite attractive - slim figures, 'exotic' features, etc.

I've met many western women come over to Asia, and complain they just can't compete with the 'cute' factor of Asian girls, etc.

On the other hand, some western men do want a 'western' woman. But usually it's because of cultural reasons. Nothing to do with aesthetics.
Don't kid yourself, most men in the West, including many non-European men, still see western women as the cultural reference of beauty because of the media and society. A lot of western men naturally prefer western women because that's what they're used to, it's not like every western man wants or prefers an Asian woman.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,508,220 times
I watched a docmentary about this. If they are whitening their skin, lengthening their bodies, sliting their eyes to make them look more "open," adapting colored contact lenses, reshaping their noses, then yes they are trying to fit into the perceived beauty that soceity through media has made everyone to believe. this is everyone as well.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 PM

1,869 posts, read 3,128,396 times
I personally think Asian women are attractive just like they are naturally, without changing anything. It sucks that there is this "media" definition of beauty that personally I don't agree with. I'm a caucasion western guy and I think the darker skinned women from southeast Asia are very attractive. And I don't think there is anything wrong with small eyes. And I think smaller wider noses can be cute.

Also in America, a lot of fair skinned caucasion women ruin their skin by tanning too much in the sun. They should instead embrace their fair complexion and not try to change that. Theyoriginally came from cloudy high latitude climates and didn't evolve for that California or Florida sun. I think the women in Scotland, Ireland, England, etc.. with fair skin who don't try to tan can be very beautiful. Just embrace who you are and don't try to change that.

Also models portrayed in the media are mostly super skinny. And I have also liked women that have some curves. Again another BS media creation that being a stick figure is beautiful. Not in my eyes.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I personally think Asian women are attractive just like they are naturally, without changing anything. It sucks that there is this "media" definition of beauty that personally I don't agree with. I'm a caucasion western guy and I think the darker skinned women from southeast Asia are very attractive. And I don't think there is anything wrong with small eyes. And I think smaller wider noses can be cute.

Also in America, a lot of fair skinned caucasion women ruin their skin by tanning too much in the sun. They should instead embrace their fair complexion and not try to change that. Theyoriginally came from cloudy high latitude climates and didn't evolve for that California or Florida sun. I think the women in Scotland, Ireland, England, etc.. with fair skin who don't try to tan can be very beautiful. Just embrace who you are and don't try to change that.

Also models portrayed in the media are mostly super skinny. And I have also liked women that have some curves. Again another BS media creation that being a stick figure is beautiful. Not in my eyes.
That's another beauty ideal in Asia - being super skinny. I mean of course it's the same in the West, but it seems there's less of an appreciation for the more curvy figure over there.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 AM

774 posts, read 1,614,540 times
Default It's gone way past sane...

It's more than that.
It's a 40 Million (or was that "billion"?) dollar industry.
It's also Social Engineering ... "Divide and Conquer."

Quote:
"Wherever there is difference, insert fear, envy, jealousy and suspicion. Make is seem that only the Land Owner is there for food, fairness, and safety. If you do this diligently, you will create a system that will last 400 years."
The system comes out of the Norman Conquest. The English were conquered and made slaves in their own land. Two hundred years later, a Norman aristocrat helped them overthrow the Normans. They decided to become the most educated nation on earth. They saw how well the system worked on them.. and they duplicated it the world over. Men against women, foreign against native. North against South. Gay against Straights. Light... against dark.

Thais are basically divided into "Chinese-Thai" and "Lao-Thai."
High Caste Indian Hindus and Chinese business interests have flooded television ads, billboards, commercials, magazines .... with images of light skin Japanese and vaguely "Asian" looking white males. (White females usually show up as blond and "aristocratic.")

Bangkok Post reporter Kultida Samabuddhi wrote an opinion piece on the whitening creams that are everywhere. Now they've been extended into Men's lotions and shaving creams. The message is strong... especially for a people who are trained to do what they are told by their leaders.

It's become so pervasive that now, there's even a Feminine Whitening Wash... to whiten that "area down there". Samaduddin wrote that such products have changed the country’s value system and lowered the self-esteem of women who used to be considered, beautiful.

Remember all the "Yellow Shirt" Vs. "Red Shirt" turmoil a couple of years ago?
The lighter skinned Thai-Chinese have aligned themselves with the government. The Thais from the Issan, or Northeastern agricultural region have traditionally been darker skinned. They do the work outside and many have very, very dark skin. So it's both status for those who didn't have to work outside to be lighter (hence the carrying of umbrellas to keep the sun off) and it's also a dividing line.

In economics... to have a Top... you also have to have ... a Bottom.
The Thai-Chinese have been successful at keeping the schools in the Issan region inferior.
So Indian, Chinese, and Thai companies who manufacture items that promote European beauty of Asian beauty are making a ton of money. (Everyone wants to be loved.. and there is a HUGE amount of money to be made in the Marriage Market.)

When you follow the money, you also can't miss how all this benefits Western global corporate business. Here in Thailand, it's almost ridiculous to see lovely young women walking with old or fat and ugly low Americans and Europeans. These women are being encouraged to place their bets on the pensions and bank accounts of these unhappy Westerners so that their families can be taken care of. (There is no Social Security... and no retirement plans in Southeast Asia.)

The big problem with all this is the obvious unhappiness it causes.
Even Buddhism says that to become, "Enlightened" or "Awake" ... a person has to love him or herself fully... completely... NOT try to become someone they're not.
  • Asians have become more racist ... and this is being noted worldwide
  • Racism ... or hatred... destablizes the balance of the mind
  • Economics could suffer
  • Like in the West, dysfunction creates more of a need to consume more drugs & alcohol
  • Like in the West, under the influence, more sexual traumas occur
  • Like in the West, more broken marriages occur.
  • The rate of suicide has increased
  • Violent crime has increased
  • In places like Pattaya, large signs and billboards advertise breast enlargement, vaginal repair, skin whitening, eyelid surgery, and other needless, ridiculous, costly operations that speak to a nation with low self-esteem and products and services for people who don't love themselves.

To see a woman with her eyes cut, her hair died blond, colored contact lenses, and her face caked with whitening cream is hideous. Who... in their right mind.. could love such a creature?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 PM

253 posts, read 514,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Don't kid yourself, most men in the West, including many non-European men, still see western women as the cultural reference of beauty because of the media and society. A lot of western men naturally prefer western women because that's what they're used to, it's not like every western man wants or prefers an Asian woman.
agree. also, a lot of the pairings you see in places like bangkok, singapore, manila, etc. are not really couples. more like sexpats with their "dates".

Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 PM

Very informative post, vegan writer. It's sad to hear about the Chinese Thai trying to keep down poor people, I guess no different to what happens in the States.etc. Of course maybe it's not those of Chinese descent per se but rich people who mostly happen to be of Chinese descent.

Yeah a lot of cosmetics and cosmetic surgery is no doubt driven by the prostitution industry. I do notice a lot of the bargirls are lighter than many of the average Thais. Well many ordinary Thai as well, especially in the big cities.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev101 View Post
agree. also, a lot of the pairings you see in places like bangkok, singapore, manila, etc. are not really couples. more like sexpats with their "dates".
Sexpats, lol, good one.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM

774 posts, read 1,614,540 times
sexpats with "dates" ... really good one. I haven't heard that one before... might "steal" it.

Oh, and it's not... "Chinese" as a people ... it's just how THIS particular group of Chinese settled in Thailand over the decades and aligned themselves with the Royal family and became a political and social power here.

Thais can be difficult to deal with if they want to be difficult. But the Chinese-Thai is the most difficult of all. Remember, Thailand is pretty much still a Feudal system and socially very hierarchical. The "Thia-Thai" and the, "Lao-Thai" are used to letting them act out and have their way.

This is a country where there really isn't a stable rule of law. Corruption is normal. If you hit a person with a car and kill them, it's a whole different outcome if you're an foreigner or if you're a wealthy Thai person with connections amongst the police. Essentially, as a foreigner, you have no legal rights. If you build a business up and it becomes hugely successful, be prepared to have it taken and if you object, have fun in prison.

This is why Laos, Cambodia and even Myanmar are in excellent positions to eclipse Thailand if they really wanted to and if their leaders were forward thinking enough. But each of those countries have their own problems that are weights around their ankles.

Cambodia killed up their smartest people and currently has a problem with PTSD being passed down generationally. Self-soothing with drugs and sex adds to it's, "Wild West" reputation. Talk about "sexpats"... I've read that it's a major target country for pedophiles. Utterly disgusting. (But so is Portugal.)

Laotians reportedly work harder than Thais and have better English skills... but the culture of the country is more kicked back and you often hear the phrase, "... it's like Thailand used to be." So perhaps its a question of how forward thinking their leaders are.

Myanmar? The Generals own the large hotels and golf courses. They're trying to do what Vietnam successfully did when it repaired its relationship with the West... get an economic bump. But they seem to want to attract big money fast. The problems with genocide and the oppression of its people still continue.

So the problems in Thailand .... and they are worse than anyone can talk about... isn't just about light skin nor the way the media propaganda continues to change their idea of beauty.

Oh, and someone stated that most of the Thai prostitutes are lighter? I don't know. I don't purchase their favors. Total turn off. But traditionally, the prostitutes have come from the Isan or rural, agricultural areas where the people are darker skin. Europeans actually favor them because they look more "exotic" and they are reported to have nicer personalities. Most East/West marriages are between Isan and Western men.

For me, the greatest disappointment is how the Western, shallow arrogance has infected the East.
Movies, print magazines, television, and music are affecting Gen Xers here just like in the West. Buddhism? Forgetaboutit. Ego is the rule of the day.

I don't care what a woman's skin tone is... nor how pretty or shapely she is... if she's arrogant, egotistical, materialistic and shallow, then she's a total turn-off to me. I'm more attracted to a fence-post than such a person... regardless of the shape of their eyes, the color of their skin or hair.

You can't help but notice how many Western male tourist are now bringing their wives and girlfriends along. It seems the allure of the Thai Woman may be reaching its zenith. Is success killing their "market"?

In fairness, too much pressure is placed on Thai women.
Thai men seem really lazy in comparison. They reportedly drink, drug, and gamble a lot. They are known to beat their wives. They get women pregnant and leave them for younger models. They have a lot of outside relationships.

There is no child support policies that forces men to pay for the children they father and leave. This puts all the stress on the women. Women are also responsible for taking care of the aging parents. That's too one-sided. But it's the culture here. This is the way its been for centuries. Personally, I think the men are getting sillier and internally weaker because of it. They exhibit a TON of insecure, petty, immature behaviors. Maybe that's another reason why so many Thai women marry Westerners.

But there's another "revenge" going on.

Thailand leads the world in the number of women who cut their husbands (or lovers) penises off.
No joke. Thai doctors have become so good at reattaching penises, that they now are the world's experts on ... penis surgery.

Karma is more than "Cause and Affect."
A better description of Karma is the way life constantly gives us opportunities to love.
This can mean dropping judgement and defilements like greed and excess lust in exchange for more fulfilling love that comes from the universal heart.

Again... the most bewildering thing to me in all this is how Buddhism teaches that people have to love themselves thoroughly if they ever hope to become "Awake" or "Enlightened."

In loving self... love for others occurs (unless someone gets confused and becomes another Narcissist.)
The women with their once lovely eyes slit open is already becoming a passing fad. To see one now ... well, you automatically see self-loathing and despair.

Every human being wants and needs love.
This just seems to be one of those bad times in the world for people to experience it... learn how to create it. "This too shall pass."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or