U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times

Advertisements

Well Cambodia and Laos are much smaller than Thailand too, you have to keep that in mind. Laos has a mere 5 million people, greater Bangkok alone has 3 times the population, and Cambodia has about 10 million, 1/6 of Thailand, so I don't see them competing.

The dark horse is Vietnam. This was a country who after the Vietnam War was poorer than Sudan. Now it's an emerging economy, similar to China. It has the population, 86 million people more than Thailand, and the centralised government - like China - to mobilise it's people and economy. The emerging tourist industry is booming and many prefer Vietnam to Thailand.

Well the ones I saw. There were certainly some dark ones. Yeah I don't know about Thai men, obviously it's hard to generalise the behaviour of 30 million people, but that is kind of sad to hear. That and western men probably make Thai women not respect them so much.

Yeah I wonder how many of these unlucky men are western expats! Well Thai doctors are good as plastic surgery, especially gender re-alignment surgery so it shouldn't be a huge problem lol. Although they're probably more used to cutting penises off rather than attaching them haha jk.

Yeah although 96% of Thais are apparently Buddhist, I doubt most Thais ACT in a very Buddhist manner. Only monks seem to take the teachings of Gautama seriously, and few are vegetarians. Most Thais are like people everywhere. Many people go on about how Buddhism has such a huge influence on the culture and the way people behave but is that really the case?

As for the few Chinese Thais, I hope they aren't the majority. They might be integrated, but it seems they still dominate in many ways. I guess they're like the Jews of East Asia.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,759,112 times
Your post got me wondering, so I looked at the photos of the vast number of K-Pop singing groups. Take a look, do the majority scream we are trying to look Euro? You might find a few with lighter hair but their features look natural.

The women in the Philippines do not all look the same. Why act as though they do. My gal is a Filipina, she has a little cute nose, not wide. But there is nothing wrong with wider noses anyway. Maybe you prefer noses that look more like a hawks beak. The Past Miss Universe, 1st runner up, Janine Tugonon doesn't have a wide nose either, she is darker than some of the past contestants. The gal holding the child could very well be a pure filipina. This girl looks kinda like my fiancee's sister. She is not a Korean-Phil mix. Are you assuming she is an upper class Chinese or Korean-Phil mix doing charity work, or do you know that for a fact? There are noses like the other pics as well in the Philippines. There are a variety of noses most places actually.

There are a good number of expats in the Philippines who have a Filipina wife and choose to live there. There is even a Veterans Clinic in Manila. So just because you see an expat with a native don't always assume something negative.

The being whiter comes from a class thing, still darker people there are looked down on by some. No one wants to be looked down on, so some take to whitening. It's foolish to assume because their skin is darker as the result of their parents heritage that the children will be slave wage workers under the hot sun all day. Still stupid mindsets seem to carry on.

I don't think most in Buddhist countries read and follow the Buddhist path. I was chatting with a gal from Vietnam the other day, I asked her about that and she said, no she didn't really follow it. Still people will say they are Buddhist for the record like people might say their religion here.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 AM

^
Seoul Fashion Week: K-Pop to Double Eyelid Surgery - YouTube

Straight from the horses mouth. It's definitely a big reason, even if many women don't follow it as well.

Yes, you're right, even in Thailand most people don't really have in a way that tells me they're disciples of Gautama.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 AM

Ya I can see some of the K-Pop gals doing that. Just looking at the pics of the various groups it didn't seem it was such a trend. The average trend following fans of celebrities might be more tempted the more common it becomes. Also if prices fall. I think its sad they do it. I prefer Asian women, but in natural form.

I really couldn't believe the Japanese fad of making the canine teeth look more vampire like. I think it looks awful.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 AM

Japan has some weird trends. There's another one, 'donut heads', where silicon in the shape of a donut is injected in the skin covering the forehead!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^
Seoul Fashion Week: K-Pop to Double Eyelid Surgery - YouTube

Straight from the horses mouth. It's definitely a big reason, even if many women don't follow it as well.

Yes, you're right, even in Thailand most people don't really have in a way that tells me they're disciples of Gautama.
lol like double eyelids is due to wanting to be caucasian...what about asians in southern china and southeast asia who have natural double eyelids?? are they caucasian wannabes too

Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
lol like double eyelids is due to wanting to be caucasian...what about asians in southern china and southeast asia who have natural double eyelids?? are they caucasian wannabes too
Did you watch the whole video? The women clearly said they aspired for a Caucasian look. Double eye-lids aren't as common in Korea, and it's just one of the many changes they want to make.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
Your hypothetical question doesnt make sense. People who naturally have double eyelids can't be accused of wanting to be Caucasian just because they naturally have double eyelids. That would make no sense. But you could make that case for people who naturally have monolids and then change them to double eyelids. Do you not see the difference?

Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Japan has some weird trends. There's another one, 'donut heads', where silicon in the shape of a donut is injected in the skin covering the forehead!
For God Sake they look like they came from another planet! Though its only a temporary effect, I wonder if there are any long time side effects they don't know of as yet. I wouldn't think it would be good for the skin. They must have money to waste.

Newest Japanese Fashion That Turns Heads – VIDEO

Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,753,950 times
True. I hear so much about eyelid surgeries and skin whitening gone horribly wrong. And yet here in America, non-Asian women wear eyeliner in a way that gives their eyes an Asian look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or