U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Reputation: 796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Forget Euro-centric. In the Philippines it's East-Asian centric (aka Korean) I guess it's a little better because it's a little more realistic for Filipinos to look East Asian than European. Many Filipinos already look East Asian, but then there are many more who could never attain that look
Some Filipinos already attained the Euro look 90 years ago now they are going back to the East Asian small eyes look ?

 
Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 PM
 
6,724 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Reputation: 2386
I am sure that many Chinese men consider some Asian women the most beautiful, not white.
In fact a friend of mine who works in Shanghai told me "American women are so ugly" after he visited LA.

However, I do find many white women beautiful too. And only SOME Asian women are very beautiful.
 
Old 03-31-2013, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I am sure that many Chinese men consider some Asian women the most beautiful, not white.
In fact a friend of mine who works in Shanghai told me "American women are so ugly" after he visited LA.

However, I do find many white women beautiful too. And only SOME Asian women are very beautiful.
I don't think they consider them the most beautiful .. I know a white man who said, he just thinks Asian women are quite cute because of their small features unlike some Western women who look a bit rough because some have "too pointy or large nose, some have crooked nose . He also said, western women seem to age more ( the Asians don't get so old in the looks because of having a rounder face ). He also said because Asian women are petite that's why they look more feminine. But he never considers, Asian or Chinese to be the most beautiful...
 
Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Waipahu
58 posts, read 111,390 times
Reputation: 44
From my perspective, Euro-centric standard of beauty in Asia is really exist, but not in common. Mostly in those beauty pageants and media. Typical Asians regards them as a "show", not what they expect their kids or their wives to be. For marriage regard, caucasians (not only Europeans but also Arabs, Persians, White Indians) or Africans are somewhat non-preferable, except you are very rich. Most Asians look for people from the same ethnic culture only. And that's what called beauty.
 
Old 04-01-2013, 02:53 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonemon View Post
From my perspective, Euro-centric standard of beauty in Asia is really exist, but not in common. Mostly in those beauty pageants and media. Typical Asians regards them as a "show", not what they expect their kids or their wives to be. For marriage regard, caucasians (not only Europeans but also Arabs, Persians, White Indians) or Africans are somewhat non-preferable, except you are very rich. Most Asians look for people from the same ethnic culture only.
Yes. And most Asians don't have that choice, either. Same goes with most people around the world.
 
Old 04-01-2013, 03:46 PM
 
6,724 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I don't think they consider them the most beautiful .. I know a white man who said, he just thinks Asian women are quite cute because of their small features unlike some Western women who look a bit rough because some have "too pointy or large nose, some have crooked nose . He also said, western women seem to age more ( the Asians don't get so old in the looks because of having a rounder face ). He also said because Asian women are petite that's why they look more feminine. But he never considers, Asian or Chinese to be the most beautiful...
I'm talking about Chinese men, not white men.
Many Chinese men do prefer Asian women even if they have access to white women (which is often not the case).
 
Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 AM
 
101 posts, read 230,873 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not saying every South Korea woman who gets plastic surgery and uses skin whitening cream, every Japanese girl who dyes her hair blonde, or every Indian woman who whitens her skin and gets contact lenses consciously wants to be the all-American blonde ideal, but it's clear that typical Asian traits - in South Korea small eyes, and broad noses in SE Asia, as well as dark skin in India, are rarely featured among women who are considered 'beautiful' in those countries. How many 'hot' Korean actresses or pop stars have you seen with slit-like eyes, which are common in Korea? How many Filipino beauties have super-broad noses or dark skin?
Define small eyes. Yes, as you said, Asians like large eyes, but I find this eye size concept too vague and rhetorical rather than practical, because eye size in itself is not a structure, unlike the nose. How small is considered small and how small is detrimental to the face? How about the shape? I think there's this misconception that being small and monolid are what constitutes the mongoloid eyes when in fact, it's really the presence of the epicanthal fold that sets apart the mongoloid eyes from the rest of the world. You can observe the disparity here:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8nbLpgLwwi...600/aoclip.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SjF7aOL5N7.../Untitled1.png
http://badmetaphor.net/wp-content/up...1/05/keyes.gif
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5140/randomg.png
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...picanthal2.jpg

Monolid only occurs when the epicanthal fold is strong enough that it covers a large part of the eyes, so monolid in itself is not really the defining feature of the mongoloid eyes. It is also a very vague concept if you have epicanthic folds. Being Asian myself I have seen a lot of people who seem to have monolid eyes but actually have visible double layer from certain angles, and there's a term for such eyelids in Chinese, called 内双 (inner double). Here's one example:
http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/eyefor...thalFolds1.jpg

And yes, I happen to find eyes with epicanthal fold very beautiful, like the eyes in the first 4 link above. It annoys me when people downgrade/insult the Asian eyes based on their perception of what the Asian eyes are, probably something like the 5th link. Unless the eyes are extreme, eye size is less relevant than eye shape and the distance between the eyes when it comes to a person's overall attractiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
I think being fair-skinned has long been a beauty standard for Asian races since historical times, and IMO has got nothing to do with the Western perspective.

However, having double eyelids, a high and narrow nose bridge, voluptuous, curvy figures, long legs etc... All these are Western standards of beauty.
I disagree. Bodily standards have totally nothing to do with race. Voluptuous figures are feminine traits and can be a sign of fertility, which is why men find it attractive. Just like how women like tall men with broad shoulders because that's what's masculine.

Last edited by Bastardised; 06-24-2013 at 08:42 AM..
 
Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 AM
 
101 posts, read 230,873 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Some Filipinos already attained the Euro look 90 years ago now they are going back to the East Asian small eyes look ?
I've not been around for long but I've seen you plenty of times. I don't get why you like going around bragging about the mestiza look of your fellow Filipinos when these people are like, 2% of the population? And I bet that those who have significant foreign blood and look predominantly foreign are even less than that. The average Filipino looks very Malay (very southern) and except for a few exceptions who look Malay and are still hot, the majority are just butt ugly.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 08:47 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastardised View Post
I've not been around for long but I've seen you plenty of times. I don't get why you like going around bragging about the mestiza look of your fellow Filipinos when these people are like, 2% of the population? And I bet that those who have significant foreign blood and look predominantly foreign are even less than that. The average Filipino looks very Malay (very southern) and except for a few exceptions who look Malay and are still hot, the majority are just butt ugly.
The majority of every ethnic group is butt ugly, including whatever you are

And nobody knows the percent of mestizos in the Philippines. There hasnt been any large scale study, but I know that Filipinos can often look like mestizos without having any Spanish ancestry, like many of my family members.
 
Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 PM
 
Location: American Expat
2,189 posts, read 4,713,431 times
Reputation: 1875
You find whitening cream and lotion almost everywhere in Vietnam, Cambodia etc. Who cares, though? A tanning bed is obviously not going to work. Only people who are bored and got nothing else to do get worked up over this.


Asia's ideal beauty: Looking Caucasian - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top