Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:46 AM

101 posts, read 326,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
The majority of every ethnic group is butt ugly, including whatever you are
Not true. The average East Asian (or Caucasians, for that matter) may not look like supermodels, but they certainly aren't hideous either. Just compare kids like this, I picked the one with the least foreign influence possible.
Click image for larger version

Name:	622444673_6bce3d4550_z.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	118409

Name:	omar-ali-saifuddien-mosque-kids.jpg
Views:	2404
Size:	634.4 KB
ID:	118410

Name:	chinese2.png
Views:	4921
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	118411

Name:	North Koreans.jpg
Views:	1507
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	118412

It's fine by me though if you want to tell me that those Malay kids are better-looking or the same as the EA ones. Maybe I simply have a preference towards NEA rather than SEA appearance.

Quote:
And nobody knows the percent of mestizos in the Philippines. There hasnt been any large scale study, but I know that Filipinos can often look like mestizos without having any Spanish ancestry, like many of my family members.
I've a friend who've worked in the Phillipines for at least a year, and apparently, most of them look like the Ibans in Sarawak which is not much different from the Malays in appearance.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:08 AM

101 posts, read 326,472 times

This girl look better before her surgery. What a waste.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:46 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
^ I know who she is, a Korean singer...or was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's another beauty ideal in Asia - being super skinny. I mean of course it's the same in the West, but it seems there's less of an appreciation for the more curvy figure over there.
I went to Thailand, bought some clothes and I turn to be a M when I'm XXS in America..Say whaaa..and I'm petite and slender. Though I'm not going to lie, I have hidden eyelids and I wouldn't mind removing just a tiny bit if I have the money.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:31 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,973 times
I HATE to see an Asian woman with BLONDE hair looks unnatural. Yes the world in general has Euro standards of beauty it does not matter where you are.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I HATE to see an Asian woman with BLONDE hair looks unnatural. Yes the world in general has Euro standards of beauty it does not matter where you are.
Some Asians make their hair purple or green as well. I don't think it can be explained by "white-wannabe" though the trend starts from the west.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You find whitening cream and lotion almost everywhere in Vietnam, Cambodia etc. Who cares, though? A tanning bed is obviously not going to work. Only people who are bored and got nothing else to do get worked up over this.

Asia's ideal beauty: Looking Caucasian - CNN.com
Asians want to have fair skin, higher nose, or bigger eyes, NOT because they want to look like whites.
It has been like that for thousands of years. It just happens that some of the ideal features are found among Caucasians, but some other features are not.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:49 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It annoys me when people deny there isn't a Euro-centric standard of beauty in Asia

I'm not saying every South Korea woman who gets plastic surgery and uses skin whitening cream, every Japanese girl who dyes her hair blonde, or every Indian woman who whitens her skin and gets contact lenses consciously wants to be the all-American blonde ideal, but it's clear that typical Asian traits - in South Korea small eyes, and broad noses in SE Asia, as well as dark skin in India, are rarely featured among women who are considered 'beautiful' in those countries. How many 'hot' Korean actresses or pop stars have you seen with slit-like eyes, which are common in Korea? How many Filipino beauties have super-broad noses or dark skin?
Maybe it annoys you, but they don't. There are some similarities, but that is a given in a globalized world.

So lets go through the list
White skin - Has nothing to do with being euro-centric. It is about rich people not working in the fields. Also, women in the west tan themselves, doesn't mean they want to be black.
Thin noses and small eyes - Take a look at chinese art, they all have thin noses and larger eyes. Its more feminine.

And in some areas they reject the euro-centric view. Generally the perfect model is 1.8m tall, while in asia people think 1.8 is way too tall. In fact in asia they want them to be small and petite. While euro-centric women are trying to be sexy, asians are more interested in cute looking girls.

Just see the difference:
euro-centric: http://www.hdwallpapers3d.com/wp-con...ers-2013-2.jpg
asian: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3BSRhzNMUS...hoi+ji+woo.jpg

Old 12-20-2013, 05:58 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastardised View Post

This girl look better before her surgery. What a waste.
Seriously! :'( What a horrible, horrible loss... she was actually quite exquisite, now she just looks like a generic K-pop hoochie.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:13 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Maybe it annoys you, but they don't. There are some similarities, but that is a given in a globalized world.

So lets go through the list
White skin - Has nothing to do with being euro-centric. It is about rich people not working in the fields. Also, women in the west tan themselves, doesn't mean they want to be black.
Thin noses and small eyes - Take a look at chinese art, they all have thin noses and larger eyes. Its more feminine.

And in some areas they reject the euro-centric view. Generally the perfect model is 1.8m tall, while in asia people think 1.8 is way too tall. In fact in asia they want them to be small and petite. While euro-centric women are trying to be sexy, asians are more interested in cute looking girls.

Just see the difference:
euro-centric: http://www.hdwallpapers3d.com/wp-con...ers-2013-2.jpg
asian: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3BSRhzNMUS...hoi+ji+woo.jpg
It's not so much just the skin or the noses - many Chinese have thin noses, although many in the south in particular and southeast asia of course do not like their broad noses. Look at Miss Universe: how many contestants from Africa or Asia have the broad noses typical of their country? It's about the overall face shape, everything put together. Obviously this ideal exists in China, but those that have stronger oriental features often find them ugly and want to change them.

Tall, slim, model-like ladies are now the standard of beauty in China. Go to any Chinese dating sight and you'll see many women 5'8"+. Some even have surgery to lengthen the limbs and be taller.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:16 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Really?

From the standpoint of an artist who has studied and does Chinese-style brushwork, excepting modern anime/manga, I don't see it.

Even moreso in Japanese art:

^ mods: those paintings are hundreds of years old and copyright exempt.

The whiteness? Yeah, especially in Northern parts of China, Japan, and Korea, there are fair-skinned people; I had an ex who was fair-skinned, had freckles, and light brown eyes despite being 100% ethnically Chinese...

Quote:
There's certainly some truth to that. I'm from the "why not both?" camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia