U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:25 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastardised View Post
All the paintings have similar art style and texture so they were most likely from the same time frame. In Chinese literature though beautiful women are depicted as having pink lips and almond eyes. There's also a description for the face and the brows but it's too figurative.

This is very true. The west seem to have no problem with women being short but in Asia it's an undesirable trait.

Central Chinese don't look too much different from Northern Chinese though. Usually it's only the far south that kinda stands out.
Well I'm sure an expert in Chinese art could tell the era from the style, as they probably change over time, although to us they all look the same.

Yes, height is definitely a sign of wealth and prosperity too, since it's also linked to diet (and genetics of course).

I guess when I think of central I'm also thinking places like Hunan province, which is really the southern half. Mao or something looks more southern. Shaanxi looks more northern, I agree, that's how the original Chinese (I'm talking pre Qin) looked like. During the time of Confucius there weren't any Chinese that looked like a lot of people you see in Hong Kong or Guangdong, Guangxi, Yunnan today.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:44 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,096,781 times
This 'pale/White is hot' trend seems to occur in most minorities. Asians, Blacks, West Asian/North African, Latino. Even Whites think this to a certain degree and promote it. I'm not sure about Indigenous groups and how they respond to this, but it seems to me that they are and have been more resistant to this train of thought and Western cultures in general. But at the same time, there's this interest in the exotic. Perhaps the minorities are seeing Whites/pale-skinned as 'hot' because it is exotic to them. At the same time, Whites find other groups attractive. Look at Kim Kardashian, Beyonce, Gong Li, Jennifer Lopez-all minority women that are found to be insanely attractive by many of European descent (and of course, many non-Whites as well). And the first documented interracial relationship-John Rolfe and Pocahontas. Likely for the same reason.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or