U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,662,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hope he wasn't abusive.

It seems a common theme in Korean movies. I've only seen a few but in every one the father seems to lose his temper a lot and his children are scared of him. There was also a movie, you might've seen, about a teacher and his students - boy those Korean schoolkids have it rough! Is corporal punishment still legal there?

When we were very young we were occasionally babysat by a Korean friend, actually the mother of my kindegarten classmate. She was very kind. I have fond memories of that. Her husband was always away for work though so I didn't really get to know him.
He was abusive but no problem. My mom is white and she has a temper like my dad does except my dad will actually say things that really hurt. I don't think Chinese or Japanese people are like that. I've met Japanese men who are very sensitive and I've met Chinese men who seem to not have any emotions so I can't really formulate an opinion around their tempers.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
He was abusive but no problem. My mom is white and she has a temper like my dad does except my dad will actually say things that really hurt. I don't think Chinese or Japanese people are like that. I've met Japanese men who are very sensitive and I've met Chinese men who seem to not have any emotions so I can't really formulate an opinion around their tempers.
I'm reading a book about Koreans and Korean culture, actually, 'The Koreans: Who They Are, What They Want, Where Their Future Lies' by Michael Breen. The writer talks about his experience of Koreans and their temperament. It seems Koreans are the 'flavour of the month' at the moment, and my aunt recently returned from Korea, so it could be more curious about them.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,662,662 times
Quote:
I'm reading a book about Koreans and Korean culture, actually, 'The Koreans: Who They Are, What They Want, Where Their Future Lies' by Michael Breen. The writer talks about his experience of Koreans and their temperament. It seems Koreans are the 'flavour of the month' at the moment, and my aunt recently returned from Korea, so it could be more curious about them.
Flavor of the month hahaha. I blame Gangnam Style!

Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Flavor of the month hahaha. I blame Gangnam Style!
Just everything. I don't know why but I seem to notice tons of Koreans coming here lately. There's even a Korean grocery store at our local shopping centre. The weird thing is that hardly any Koreans live here, so they must mostly be catering for students of the nearby university. I know the lady because I often go there to get drinks and snacks. Also Korean food, there's quite a few Korean restaurants here now, whereas before there were hardly any.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,345 times
Quote:
Just everything. I don't know why but I seem to notice tons of Koreans coming here lately. There's even a Korean grocery store at our local shopping centre. The weird thing is that hardly any Koreans live here, so they must mostly be catering for students of the nearby university. I know the lady because I often go there to get drinks and snacks. Also Korean food, there's quite a few Korean restaurants here now, whereas before there were hardly any.
I guess you're from Perth?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
I guess you're from Perth?
Yep, been here almost all my life.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,602,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Is it really possible to paint all Chinese from Beijing to Hong Kong with a single brushstroke? I can't even stereotype people from Osaka and Tokyo with the same characteristics.

As Kansai and Kanto are the two regions of Japan I'm most familiar with, I use those as my example. Most of the stereotypes people have of Japanese apply more to those of Tokyo. Those in Osaka share some of these traits, but they also have quite a lot in common with Koreans.
This right here, China wasn't always a unified nation, there are some pretty significant differences in the Han ethnic group usually along regional and linguistic lines. For example the rather noticeable differences between North and South China (for example, Mandarin and Cantonese), this also doesn't include sub groups like the Hakka.

This is a good article that explains some of the differences.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
This right here, China wasn't always a unified nation, there are some pretty significant differences in the Han ethnic group usually along regional and linguistic lines. For example the rather noticeable differences between North and South China (for example, Mandarin and Cantonese), this also doesn't include sub groups like the Hakka.

This is a good article that explains some of the differences.
Indeed, China is a huge country and culturally diverse. Not just north/south but the difference provinces/regions.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Let's talk about women.

Chinese women: masculine, career oriented, calculating, sometimes vulgar
Japanese women: very (too) polite, calculating, usually quiet
Korean women: somehow between Chinese and Japanese, but more down to earth than both

Chinese girls like to study electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, mathematics....
Korean girls usually avoid those.
Japanese girls never touch those.
It tells a lot about their mentality.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,431,836 times
Koreans have to be the most abusive people i have ever met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or