U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 PM

388 posts, read 746,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Let's talk about women.

Chinese women: masculine, career oriented, calculating, sometimes vulgar
Japanese women: very (too) polite, calculating, usually quiet
Korean women: somehow between Chinese and Japanese, but more down to earth than both

Chinese girls like to study electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, mathematics....
Korean girls usually avoid those.
Japanese girls never touch those.
It tells a lot about their mentality.
first I would like to say that you are using a very broad brush when you are saying this, now I am not going to take this personal because I don't believe you meant it that way but, my wife is neither " masculine " and is or has ever been vulgar....ever, I also know a Japanese woman that is very friendly and out going and is now at UCLA studying Electrical Engineering and if you don't move aside when asked by her the first time she WILL shame you into moving ... loudly

Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
first I would like to say that you are using a very broad brush when you are saying this, now I am not going to take this personal because I don't believe you meant it that way but, my wife is neither " masculine " and is or has ever been vulgar....ever, I also know a Japanese woman that is very friendly and out going and is now at UCLA studying Electrical Engineering and if you don't move aside when asked by her the first time she WILL shame you into moving ... loudly

There are always exceptions. This thread is about typical cases.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 6,740 times
China is huge. Overseas Chinese tend to come from southern China, HK, Canton, etc. Northern Chinese are closer to Mongolians/Koreans, Southern Chinese are closer to Vietnamese and Western Chinese are actually mixed blood with turkic peoples. There is no one type of Chinese. China is like the entire European land mass, Japan = England, Korea = Portugal.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 AM

5 posts, read 25,101 times
i am korean. i grew up in korea(childhood) and america. you missed the fact that koreans are only very friendly and polite to people with the same or lighter skin than them. and even if you are white, if you come from eastern europe, people won't respect you much unless your appearance is elegantly beautiful enough to be on TV.

when i came back to korea as an adult, i saw these strange racist, sexist, materialistic behaviors in the majority of koreans and felt extremely embarrassed. korea has been more secluded for decades than other countries in asia like japan, taiwan or singapore.

you won't know what koreans really think until you really really really get to know them. on the surface, they come off very polite and friendly to foreigners. some people genuinely mean it. but i can tell you with confidence that the majority don't really think you are that awesome. they are nice to you because it has to do with what you think about korea. korean culture is all about saving face and reputation regardless of the truth. so they are good at kissing ass to save their or others' face.

they tell me what they won't tell foreigners just because i was born here and speak korean; they assume i would understand their two-sidedness but unfortunately, i really don't get it.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 AM

369 posts, read 799,502 times
I also forgot to add that:

There is one not-so-obvious feature distinguishing the Japanese from the Koreans and Chinese. The Japanese are generally not as consistent between their inner and external feelings as their Chinese and Korean counterparts.

They usually display their external feelings and desires (tatamae) instead of their true feelings (honne) so as to preserve the cordial and harmonious relations among everyone.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 AM

3,123 posts, read 2,700,412 times
There is no one Chinese culture. You will find people act very different depending on where they come from and what social status they have. The southeast culture is different from the northeast culture, and the western culture is different that both of them. Also, the people living in villages are also different. I have some experiences from villages. They are friendly, like to dance and drink home brewed alcohol.

Most of my experience is from northeast China. I find the culture to vary depending on how old they are, gender and their social status. Generally younger people have a lot better manners than older people. And the people with high social status have better manners than the ones with low social status. And I find that women have a lot better manners than men. But young men are improving, because Chinese girls want guys with manners. Some poster said Chinese girl are masculine and study Engineering. That's not my experience at all. Chinese girls are quite feminine compared to the west and study business.

So I think the culture in China is improving by a lot. In general I think people in China take care of their family well, but have little empathy for people outside their family. I also find many people to be quite materialistic, especially in their choice of partner. Status symbol often include multiple/expensive homes, brand-clothing, expensive car, and overly expensive cell phone. To pay for all of this they will have few vacations, long working hours, rarely go out and eat cheaply. But not everyone is materialistic, some people would never do that. People seem to be quite concerned about their image among friends and family and people are worried about sticking out. People tend to be quite straight forward, which I find refreshing. Some people are rude, but most people I have met are quite nice.

Last edited by Camlon; 07-30-2013 at 07:42 AM..

Old 10-29-2013, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm reading a book about Koreans and Korean culture, actually, 'The Koreans: Who They Are, What They Want, Where Their Future Lies' by Michael Breen. The writer talks about his experience of Koreans and their temperament. It seems Koreans are the 'flavour of the month' at the moment, and my aunt recently returned from Korea, so it could be more curious about them
Flavor of the month? Crass. Only to white, under educated, uncultured, corn pone trash are Asians a, "flavor of the month." I've heard that term referred to the temporary fascination with women by men of your country and culture who could care less about who they...........date.

Koreans have an ancient, esteemed and evolving culture you will never learn from a book. If America is interested in our culture, way we think, intellect, food, music, history, government, etc. they you would have to live it for a lifetime (as with any culture "foreign" to you.) You would have to endure, suffer, enjoy and love a culture to ever understand it.

I am a Korean American and know both cultures and find your reference to us as a momentary fad, very offensive. And maybe you need to read another book but I doubt if it would help. Really, read your post again from the eyes of a native Asian and apply it to your white culture. Replace the word Koreans and Korea with America and Americans. You would be disgusted. As I am.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:22 AM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm reading a book about Koreans and Korean culture, actually, 'The Koreans: Who They Are, What They Want, Where Their Future Lies' by Michael Breen. The writer talks about his experience of Koreans and their temperament. It seems Koreans are the 'flavour of the month' at the moment, and my aunt recently returned from Korea, so it could be more curious about them.
flavor of the month? more like the finest cuisine of the past several years and then some...and epicurean delight of Asia...Samsung is what you will name your son and daughter so don't you forget it!

Old 10-31-2013, 02:17 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattymoko View Post
Flavor of the month? Crass. Only to white, under educated, uncultured, corn pone trash are Asians a, "flavor of the month." I've heard that term referred to the temporary fascination with women by men of your country and culture who could care less about who they...........date.

Koreans have an ancient, esteemed and evolving culture you will never learn from a book. If America is interested in our culture, way we think, intellect, food, music, history, government, etc. they you would have to live it for a lifetime (as with any culture "foreign" to you.) You would have to endure, suffer, enjoy and love a culture to ever understand it.

I am a Korean American and know both cultures and find your reference to us as a momentary fad, very offensive. And maybe you need to read another book but I doubt if it would help. Really, read your post again from the eyes of a native Asian and apply it to your white culture. Replace the word Koreans and Korea with America and Americans. You would be disgusted. As I am.
I'm going to correct Trimac and say that Korean popular culture is the flavor of the month, that is true. In the 1980s and early 1990s it was Japan (coinciding with the "golden age" of anime), early 1990s to mid 2000s it was China (thanks to Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chow Yun Fat, etc.) and mid 2000s to present day it's Korea. Everybody interested in Asian culture now watches K-dramas and occasionally listens to K-music, although among this crowd Japanese anime and manga is still the preferred entertainment medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
flavor of the month? more like the finest cuisine of the past several years and then some...and epicurean delight of Asia...Samsung is what you will name your son and daughter so don't you forget it!
Wrong. Not samsung, but Psy

Old 10-31-2013, 03:18 PM

15,733 posts, read 9,242,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattymoko View Post

Hm, so someone that moved to the US as an adult would never understand the culture unless they lived a lifetime here? I find that hard to believe, since immigrants assimilate all the time.

I think you're misunderstanding the term "flavor of the month", and making it seem like it's a bad thing. Instead, think of it as "discovering". Considering that South Korea has been striving to be a world player, and is in fact making some of the best and most innovative electronics out there, it seems that they are finally getting their wish. Add to that a "discovery" of their entertainment industry, and you can see why some people are now interested in Korea and its culture.

I think you are a little defensive about your heritage. You say to replace the word Koreans with Americans and you would be disgusted. Hardly. People are fascinated with the American culture the world over, and it's hardly disgusting.

By the way, I am also very interested in the Korean culture, and I'm hardly uneducated and uncultured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or