U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 06:08 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm going to correct Trimac and say that Korean popular culture is the flavor of the month, that is true. In the 1980s and early 1990s it was Japan (coinciding with the "golden age" of anime), early 1990s to mid 2000s it was China (thanks to Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chow Yun Fat, etc.) and mid 2000s to present day it's Korea. Everybody interested in Asian culture now watches K-dramas and occasionally listens to K-music, although among this crowd Japanese anime and manga is still the preferred entertainment medium.

Wrong. Not samsung, but Psy
or 9Muses or After School..haha......overall, it will be a permanent flavor for Asia.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:40 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post

Some poster said Chinese girl are masculine and study Engineering. That's not my experience at all. Chinese girls are quite feminine compared to the west and study business.
Things are relative. Of course there are always more male engineers in any country.
However, if you go to any graduate program of Electrical engineering, mechanical engineering etc. in the US, you will find most if not all female PhD students are Chinese.

When I studied (engineering) in the US, all female professors in the departments I stayed in were Chinese, ALL.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:49 PM

3,123 posts, read 2,700,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Things are relative. Of course there are always more male engineers in any country.
However, if you go to any graduate program of Electrical engineering, mechanical engineering etc. in the US, you will find most if not all female PhD students are Chinese.

When I studied (engineering) in the US, all female professors in the departments I stayed in were Chinese, ALL.
That is true. Outside China there are a lot of asian women studying engineering.

But you have to take into account that engineering is a very good career to take if you want to leave China. With engineering compared to business it is much easier to get the first job and the visa.

In China where engineering is not that much better career than business, then you will find the same trend as in the west.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:38 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,843,457 times
not interested in much of korean culture at all, from what i have seen with business transactions with them. i'm more interested in japanese culture. i love korean food and beauty products though i love korean and japanese traditional home architecture as well. japanese gardens are the best!

Old 11-02-2013, 02:09 AM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post

In China where engineering is not that much better career than business, then you will find the same trend as in the west.
It is true that fewer women like engineering than men do, but there is another reason:
In China different departments have different "admission scores". Students also need to choose either the "science path" or the "arts path" and take different exams. Engineering departments admit students from the science path exclusively. Business major admits students from the arts path, or both.
In the science path, there are more male top students than female top students, so much more male students succeed. In other words, most female students are just not good enough to be accepted.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,068,651 times
Japan = UK
Korea = Italy
China = France
Taiwan = Portugal
Philippines = Spain

Old 11-02-2013, 04:13 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,843,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
Japan = UK
Korea = Italy
China = France
Taiwan = Portugal
Philippines = Spain

those are very interesting parallelisms--apart of course from the very obvious philippine-spain one. can you expound on the first 3? would love to see your viewpoints

Old 11-02-2013, 04:35 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,068,651 times
Delete

Last edited by japanese001; 11-02-2013 at 05:36 AM..

Old 11-02-2013, 01:44 PM

369 posts, read 799,502 times
Quote:
Japan = UK
Korea = Italy
China = France
Taiwan = Portugal
Philippines = Spain
The Japanese are actually much more similar to Germans in temperament and ethics than to the British.

Both Japanese and Germans are not only reserved and strongly proud of their own culture; they also share similar work ethics in terms of aiming for perfection, accuracy and precision. That's why both countries deliver some of the best technology in the world.

Both also shared similar historical patterns. Like Germany, Japan was new to the scene of colonialism and was eager and ambitious for more territorial and economic gains in the early 20th century.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:23 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Quote:
Japan = UK
Korea = Italy
China = France
Taiwan = Portugal
Philippines = Spain
What are the similarities between Korea and Italy, China and France and Taiwan and Portugal ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or