U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

My observations:

Chinese: Less inhibited, sometimes quite loud and boisterous and lacking in social grace, yet also keeps them themselves and tend to travel in large groups. Pretty bold and can be quite friendly and down to earth. Is a 'say what you feel' culture like the Americans, I don't think most Chinese people are really timid at all. Probably actually also the most independent minded and business-like of East Asians. Not an especially spiritual people as a whole, but pragmatic about philosophy or religion.

Koreans: Very friendly and hospitable with friends, can be reserved or very extroverted, also quite noisy when in groups. Drink more alcohol than the Chinese or Japanese, and love to have a good time. Both men and women can be fierce and pretty tough though. Seem more 'hot-blooded' than the Japanese, with a love of spicy food lol. They tend to make a big deal about ancestry and bloodline. Also pretty business-like and materialistic like the Chinese.

Japanese: Stereotypically reserved, but I find when you open up to them they can be friendly on the surface. Polite and obsessive about etiquette (stereotypes), and afraid to be too contrary, yet paradoxically many Japanese people are pretty eccentric/wacky - indeed their national psyche is pretty eccentric and enigmatic. You get the feeling they can be repressed and can act out sometimes violently and unpredictably because of this. Their society seems well suited to large corporations with obedient workers. Some older Japanese people are a bit xenophobic/unaware of the outside world. I'd say they can be compassionate as well as brutal, well like any people I suppose.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM

369 posts, read 799,502 times
Interesting topic indeed.

My observations/perceptions?

Chinese
Loud and crude, materialistic, most blunt and direct of all, almost every opportunity is based on connections (guanxi), intensely nationalistic, quite warm, hospitable and friendly (if they don't dislike you), strong emphasis on loyalty

Koreans
Materialistic, huge binge culture, more outspoken and blunt than the Japanese, very looks-oriented society (where having plastic surgery is the norm), strong emphasis on family tradition (to the extent that parents can sometimes determine sons' or daughters' marriage partners in this day and age), insane cram study sessions just to get kids into the top colleges

Japanese
Probably not as materialistic as Koreans and Chinese, most polite and civilized of all, very community-oriented, eccentric yet interesting fashion sense, friendly and open to foreigners (especially if the latter makes an effort to or can speak some Japanese), more well-travelled than Koreans and Chinese, workaholics, best service standards in the world, shy when they meet someone for the first time

Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the addition of some things I missed fellowjoe...I wonder if the Japanese tend to a bit more artistic than the Koreans too? I find Japanese music in general has a bit more avantgade stuff vs Korean which is pure pop although I don't know much Korean music.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Japanese - very reserved, very polite, very non-assuming, very respectful, very aware of space and not invading another's space.

Korean - intense pride in Korea. Very passionate about issues, and viewpoints and ideas, but all of which are 100% Korea-centric. Incredibly kind and friendly. They also say almost anything that pops in their head, no matter how rude or inappropriate it might be. Lack of awareness of personal space. Come across very rude. Can also be your best friendly very easily, although 'not really your best friend'. But gives you that momentary feeling anyways. Koreans can be very generous too.

Chinese (in CHINA, not other ethnic-chinese from other countries - but Chinese from China seem to be very loud, unaware of personal surrounds (much like Koreans, but exact opposite of Japanese, who are hyper-aware of all noise and all things). I haven't lived in China, so I'll stop there. But I have some good friends who absolutely love China. I liked it when I've visited as well, but felt like Chinese had a lot of similar characteristics to Koreans. But I didnt stay long enough to really confirm that. I felt like Koreans can be extremely generous, I'm not so sure if Chinese are or aren't. No experiences with it.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Japanese - very reserved, very polite, very non-assuming, very respectful, very aware of space and not invading another's space.

Korean - intense pride in Korea. Very passionate about issues, and viewpoints and ideas, but all of which are 100% Korea-centric. Incredibly kind and friendly. They also say almost anything that pops in their head, no matter how rude or inappropriate it might be. Lack of awareness of personal space. Come across very rude. Can also be your best friendly very easily, although 'not really your best friend'. But gives you that momentary feeling anyways. Koreans can be very generous too.

Chinese (in CHINA, not other ethnic-chinese from other countries - but Chinese from China seem to be very loud, unaware of personal surrounds (much like Koreans, but exact opposite of Japanese, who are hyper-aware of all noise and all things). I haven't lived in China, so I'll stop there. But I have some good friends who absolutely love China. I liked it when I've visited as well, but felt like Chinese had a lot of similar characteristics to Koreans. But I didnt stay long enough to really confirm that. I felt like Koreans can be extremely generous, I'm not so sure if Chinese are or aren't. No experiences with it.
What I can say is, Chinese, if they know you well enough, they would sometimes offer to treat you to a meal. Chinese culture.

Japanese are very courteous from what I see... Even on the dining table.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 AM

1,269 posts, read 3,415,317 times
They all behave badly when in a large group,

in the following order - Chinese, Koreans and Japanese (only the men).

Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 PM

388 posts, read 746,244 times
I have lived in China for a short time ( 2 years ) and find that the men can and are very loud and can be very rude, the women ( older generation ) will not speak to a stranger in a social setting unless introduced, my wife can be very loud when angry but never in public, I've also found that all Asians will go out of their way to save face, my wife and family will also go out of their way to save me face, I find this remarkable and do the same for them.
Koreans, I only know from visits but I do see the same as in Chinese men, the women can be just as much a "partier" as the men.
Japanese, I really don't know so I won't say.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,141,440 times
Is it really possible to paint all Chinese from Beijing to Hong Kong with a single brushstroke? I can't even stereotype people from Osaka and Tokyo with the same characteristics.

As Kansai and Kanto are the two regions of Japan I'm most familiar with, I use those as my example. Most of the stereotypes people have of Japanese apply more to those of Tokyo. Those in Osaka share some of these traits, but they also have quite a lot in common with Koreans.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,662,662 times
Koreans have the worst tempers hands down. My dad will barrel through women and children when he's angry.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Koreans have the worst tempers hands down. My dad will barrel through women and children when he's angry.
I hope he wasn't abusive.

It seems a common theme in Korean movies. I've only seen a few but in every one the father seems to lose his temper a lot and his children are scared of him. There was also a movie, you might've seen, about a teacher and his students - boy those Korean schoolkids have it rough! Is corporal punishment still legal there?

When we were very young we were occasionally babysat by a Korean friend, actually the mother of my kindegarten classmate. She was very kind. I have fond memories of that. Her husband was always away for work though so I didn't really get to know him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or