U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2013, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Reputation: 796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
It's gross & they should picks their nose at least with tissue and not in public area. It is disgusting. Some men use it also those long nail as cotton buds to clean their ears.
Yes it is really gross. I agree in using tissue paper and most importantly, not in public.
My husband is also bothered with this because he is an ICT teacher and he always sees his students picking their nose while touching the mouse and keyboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2013, 05:00 AM
 
21 posts, read 41,536 times
Reputation: 15
Great thread! My sitar teacher has a long pinky nail because he needs it to play the instrument. I have seen lots of long nails here in Singapore. I'm guessing those who said it is for good Chinese fortune are correct, with the nose picking being an added benefit.

Interestingly, my (India) Indian in-laws think we are gross for using toilet paper instead of washing ourselves, not gargling and publicly spitting our water after meals and not clearing our our noses as soon as possible because keeping your own body clean is what is important to them, not the surroundings or what others think. . It's a totally different mindset I have now come to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 AM
 
2,816 posts, read 5,383,911 times
Reputation: 3758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Travelling in Asia I also know that they're not shy about doing it in public.

Everyone picks their nose, I mean boogers don't just come out by themselves. If I must do it in public I'll try to do it so nobody sees me or cover my face but in many countries it's no big deal.
There is something called kleenex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
There is something called kleenex.
Doesn't work when they've dried up .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyothi108 View Post
Great thread! My sitar teacher has a long pinky nail because he needs it to play the instrument. I have seen lots of long nails here in Singapore. I'm guessing those who said it is for good Chinese fortune are correct, with the nose picking being an added benefit.

Interestingly, my (India) Indian in-laws think we are gross for using toilet paper instead of washing ourselves, not gargling and publicly spitting our water after meals and not clearing our our noses as soon as possible because keeping your own body clean is what is important to them, not the surroundings or what others think. . It's a totally different mindset I have now come to understand.
After eating they gargle right away ? And where do they spit ?

I just think that picking nose and spitting in public is gross. As well as sneezing without covering the mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM
 
2,816 posts, read 5,383,911 times
Reputation: 3758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Doesn't work when they've dried up .
It just takes the right technique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 04:42 AM
 
Location: Alto
185 posts, read 422,528 times
Reputation: 208
You are correct, especially in China (well, Central China anyway) where the guys have long fingernails. I've noticed it more on the thumbs, and is it ever gross. Maybe the Chinese guys are more in touch with their feminine side than us lao wais? Speaking of this, one thing that still cracks me us is the Chinese guys with their man-bags. They are so proud of their LV handbags and look frankly so, well, less than manly. (Only thing is, these bags are usually full of cash, which I don't have so I guess I better be quiet, huh, or they will run me down in their new Cayennes that have never seen a spot of mud). But still funny, reminds me of the Office episode where Dwight bought a "designer manbag"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Reputation: 796
I don't know why Chinese men like growing their nail in their small finger. So many Chinese men in China with long nail in their small finger and last month I met a Chinese Malaysian with long nail too. It is totally gross. Their wives and girlfriends should tell them it looks really gross since there seems to be only one purpose for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 AM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I don't know why Chinese men like growing their nail in their small finger. So many Chinese men in China with long nail in their small finger and last month I met a Chinese Malaysian with long nail too. It is totally gross. Their wives and girlfriends should tell them it looks really gross since there seems to be only one purpose for it.
I was born in China but never noticed that.
Really how many Chinese men have long fingernails? like 5%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 AM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
You are correct, especially in China (well, Central China anyway) where the guys have long fingernails. I've noticed it more on the thumbs, and is it ever gross. Maybe the Chinese guys are more in touch with their feminine side than us lao wais? Speaking of this, one thing that still cracks me us is the Chinese guys with their man-bags. They are so proud of their LV handbags and look frankly so, well, less than manly. (Only thing is, these bags are usually full of cash, which I don't have so I guess I better be quiet, huh, or they will run me down in their new Cayennes that have never seen a spot of mud). But still funny, reminds me of the Office episode where Dwight bought a "designer manbag"
Occasionally I have longer fingernails too, only because I am too lazy to cut (which is bad, but it has nothing to do with feminine side etc.)

You should have noticed Chinese men care less about personal tidiness in general. They often have bad hair, wrinkled shirt and random beard. They have longer nails for the same reason.

My theory is, China had no dating culture just decades ago. Most men only had sex with one woman in their entire life, so there was no motivation to make themselves look good. Of course now it has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top