U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,447,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
even chinese???
Yes of course. Back in the 1950s, for instance, Singapore was a third world country.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,329,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well right now Myanmar, Sri Lanka and India seem to be coming up as a source of maids. They can also get away with paying them less, for some reason. Go to some shopping malls in Singapore and they're chockers full of maid agencies and businesses catering to Burmese. Also some from the PRC as well.

Well I don't know what Africans have to do with SEA. It's mostly the PRC investing there isn't it? They have a big enough homegrown source for domestic workers.
Im talking about the growing numbers of african migrants in China....they look to be a cheap source of labor as they would work for even less then the local chinese

Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Im talking about the growing numbers of african migrants in China....they look to be a cheap source of labor as they would work for even less then the local chinese
Possibly, I've heard that some Africans are going to China, but not significant as yet.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Possibly, I've heard that some Africans are going to China, but not significant as yet.
with the ties between africa and china their population in china will surely rise

Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
with the ties between africa and china their population in china will surely rise
Yes China is opening up and many from around the world are going to where the money is. It's now not unusual to see people from everywhere speaking fluent Mandarin.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Yes China is opening up and many from around the world are going to where the money is. It's now not unusual to see people from everywhere speaking fluent Mandarin.
not cantonese???

I wonder is mandarin a mandatory language to be taught in african schools??

Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
not cantonese???

I wonder is mandarin a mandatory language to be taught in african schools??
Cantonese seems to be losing ground/dominance as China grows. You hear Mandarin more in HK itself, and the other cities in the PRD region are growing very fast. Even if one planned to work in HK, it might be just as if not more beneficial to learn Mandarin than Cantonese. Wasn't the case years ago, but things have changed a lot.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Cantonese seems to be losing ground/dominance as China grows. You hear Mandarin more in HK itself, and the other cities in the PRD region are growing very fast. Even if one planned to work in HK, it might be just as if not more beneficial to learn Mandarin than Cantonese. Wasn't the case years ago, but things have changed a lot.
is their restricted migration of mainlanders to HK??

Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
is their restricted migration of mainlanders to HK??
I'm not sure, but if there are they are obviously a lot more relaxed than when HK was still a colony.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times
Quote:
I find it ironic that the truly rich countries in Asia....Japan and South Korea does not employ maids amongst their middle class

I know of a filipina who married a very prominent japanese business man...they own a yacht and several office buildings...but they dont employ a maid ...they live in a very modest house though

maybe its due to the inhereted wealth type rich people in SEA and China
I dont know why not either. I do notice that both Koreans and Japanese live very modestly, regardless of wealth. They are also very male-oriented, with a strong belief that the woman/wife does absolutely everything.

I've also noticed that Japanese women in particular insist on doing everything. I know guys married to Japanese wifes, and the wives won't even allow them to eat out for lunch, as that would imply that the wife isn't feeding them well enough.

I doubt if that's a main reason, but probably contributes to it anyways. It's also just simply 'not done' as well. But for how little that HK/SG pay their maids, I could see it becoming popular. I think it's only about $400/month for a maid in HK/SG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or