U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM

Location: Work in NYC - Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,304 posts, read 2,207,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
they cant read or write??? wtf
ejay1:
No they cannot read and write.
Most of these people come from the village. They come from poor rice farmer families.
Some of them don't have education at all.

They come from cities to try their luck. And he only job they can get is becoming maids. And this is the reason why they are paid cheaply too.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:44 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
ejay1:
No they cannot read and write.
Most of these people come from the village. They come from poor rice farmer families.
Some of them don't have education at all.

They come from cities to try their luck. And he only job they can get is becoming maids. And this is the reason why they are paid cheaply too.
not an excuse IMO....I known people from poor rice farmer families who could read, write, and speak english....maybe its due to indonesia's muslim oppresion of women

Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM

Location: Work in NYC - Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,304 posts, read 2,207,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's true. South Korea as well.

The entire system is setup that way as well. The gov't in Japan gives money to families just so the wife can stay at home. Banks closely at ungodly early hours, with the assumption that the wife is always available to go there during the limited hours they are open.

Etc.
I heard about that - bank closes at earlier hours. So how about those people who are single? I sure hate to live in Japan!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,607,240 times
Quote:
Actually, that is one of the things I love about Japan. The mesh well with my Midwestern sensibilities. Basically, live very modestly, save money, etc. I'm horrible at saving money, but I don't spend it ridiculously though. I spend it on travel, which I love to do.

But, I like that Japanese live in such modest homes, yet there is obviously a lot of wealth here as well. You just don't see it in the homes whatsoever. I also notice that most Japanese people wear the same clothes all the time. They keep those clothes very clean, but they aren't spending it much on clothing either.

That being said, the cost of living is so high here, that it seems we spend a small fortunate just taking a few buses and trains to wherever it if we want to walk around at for awhile.
Weird, I was just watching a video about life in Japan by a Canadian living in Japan and she said most Japanese people do their laundry every day!

I've heard Japan has the biggest middle class in the world, and there's less income inequality than say Hong Kong. It does seem that there aren't very many poor people in Japan, and a lot of wealthier Japanese aren't as ostentatious about their wealth as the Hong Kongers.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I dont know why not either. I do notice that both Koreans and Japanese live very modestly, regardless of wealth. They are also very male-oriented, with a strong belief that the woman/wife does absolutely everything.

I've also noticed that Japanese women in particular insist on doing everything. I know guys married to Japanese wifes, and the wives won't even allow them to eat out for lunch, as that would imply that the wife isn't feeding them well enough.

I doubt if that's a main reason, but probably contributes to it anyways. It's also just simply 'not done' as well. But for how little that HK/SG pay their maids, I could see it becoming popular. I think it's only about $400/month for a maid in HK/SG.
Any figures of what % of Japanese women are full-time homemakers/not employed? Isn't there a ton of pressure on both Japanese boys and girls in school/university though?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
That's probably for another thread, but I suppose could be tied into the theme since we have HK/SG.

But, I was curious if Hong Kong people might find if strange to have foreigners trying to communicate in Mandarin, when English is just as much a second language to them as Mandarin.
I'm assuming since the handover there have been changes to the education system to include Mandarin, but I'm not sure. I think more mainlanders in general are moving into HK, and it's more widely spoken than before. English is still probably more spoken as a second language in HK itself, but I do wonder if Mandarin might be more beneficial as HK becomes more integrated into China.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Your family is originally Singaporean and I'm sure you ahve rellies that still live there.. what do they tell you? Curious.
It's not so much what they tell me, but things I've read about/occasionally observed.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM

15,956 posts, read 36,300,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Any figures of what % of Japanese women are full-time homemakers/not employed? Isn't there a ton of pressure on both Japanese boys and girls in school/university though?
There is a lot of pressure on girls to get into good schools as well. But, I think the mentality is they'll attract a better husband through Education, not that they'll become something successful themselves.

In all my English classes at the the university level, I like to teach resumes/interviewing skills, just as a way to focus and direct my students on post-university life. Routinely I find that female students, despite high education, don't see themselves doing much more than hotel clerk, airline stewardess (which has age restrictions, but they don't see themselves working past husband stage), etc.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
There is a lot of pressure on girls to get into good schools as well. But, I think the mentality is they'll attract a better husband through Education, not that they'll become something successful themselves.

In all my English classes at the the university level, I like to teach resumes/interviewing skills, just as a way to focus and direct my students on post-university life. Routinely I find that female students, despite high education, don't see themselves doing much more than hotel clerk, airline stewardess (which has age restrictions, but they don't see themselves working past husband stage), etc.
So it's pretty much like America in the 1950s then? Would you say things have changed much since say the 1990s or not really?

If that's the case why go through the cost.etc of going through uni? Or is it just seen as a rite of passage/social thing? Is university tuition expensive in Japan?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM

15,956 posts, read 36,300,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So it's pretty much like America in the 1950s then? Would you say things have changed much since say the 1990s or not really?

If that's the case why go through the cost.etc of going through uni? Or is it just seen as a rite of passage/social thing? Is university tuition expensive in Japan?
I think it is a rite of passage/social thing. Plus, it's to be educated enough to find a good husband.

Knowing that the work world isn't very good to females here, puts even more incentive to have your daughters educated, so they'll fiind a good husband - a good provider. But you need to impress the guy with the right education to land him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or