U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times

Advertisements

^ Oh, one thing i thought of. It seems that corn is commonly grown in rural China, often hung up to dry on the verandah (I've seen this in rural Vietnam as well, in the hilly parts) yet it doesn't seem that many Chinese dishes contain corn? why is this? Is it mainly used for pig-feed? I think I recall my Hmong guide telling me this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 03:34 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,004,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Oh, one thing i thought of. It seems that corn is commonly grown in rural China, often hung up to dry on the verandah (I've seen this in rural Vietnam as well, in the hilly parts) yet it doesn't seem that many Chinese dishes contain corn? why is this? Is it mainly used for pig-feed? I think I recall my Hmong guide telling me this.
A lot of the corn grown in China is of low quality, so it is used as animal feed. But Chinese do eat corn, especially in the southwest. You can find awesome dishes containing corn in Sichuan and Yunnan provinces.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:34 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,208,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
There are so many inedible parts in Chinese food too, much more than Filipino foods., they use chicken feet a lot and chicken heads too.. When they serve a whole roasted Duck, it even still comes with a head., like a whole dead duck served on the table.
those parts are usually saved to make rice porridge, they help give it a nice flavor, thats what I do with the head , necks, bones leftover from the carcass

the roast pig's heads they sell at Chinese deli are also good for making rice porridge soups, lots of meat on there and it's very cheap only $5 for the pig's head

Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,852,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
^

Looks like Chinese stew or hotpot to me lol. My mum made soups and they look like those!
The Spanish Influence Stews are the ones with tomato sauce

Old 04-01-2013, 04:53 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,004,823 times
Quote:
There are so many inedible parts in Chinese food too, much more than Filipino foods., they use chicken feet a lot and chicken heads too.. When they serve a whole roasted Duck, it even still comes with a head., like a whole dead duck served on the table.
'Inedible'? Those are delicacies. People love to eat that, so no it is not inedible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
those parts are usually saved to make rice porridge, they help give it a nice flavor, thats what I do with the head , necks, bones leftover from the carcass

the roast pig's heads they sell at Chinese deli are also good for making rice porridge soups, lots of meat on there and it's very cheap only $5 for the pig's head
Exactly. That's the strength and sophistication of Chinese cuisine (like French). Nothing goes to waste.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,852,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
'Inedible'? Those are delicacies. People love to eat that, so no it is not inedible.

Exactly. That's the strength and sophistication of Chinese cuisine (like French). Nothing goes to waste.
It scares me looking at the head of the duck on the table.. Also those chicken feet.. Quite gross for foreigners. I ate a stew before and I couldn't get any meat as they're all bones and what's even hard is that I'd have to scrape the little meat on the bone using chopstick and I couldn't do it so I ended up eating just rice, potatoes and sauce

Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,208,200 times
Quote:
It scares me looking at the head of the duck on the table.. Also those chicken feet.. Quite gross for foreigners. I ate a stew before and I couldn't get any meat as they're all bones and what's even hard is that I'd have to scrape the little meat on the bone using chopstick and I couldn't do it so I ended up eating just rice, potatoes and sauce
I usually chew it and spit out the small bones, no need to scrape the meat off, easier to suck the meat off the bones, sometimes it may be a littler messy

lots of people eat chicken feets, pig's feets, duck feets, pig's tails, intestines, pig's ears, pig's snouts, etc

I saw a show on the food channel and they were cooking soul food and making soup with chicken feet

Mexican cooking also uses a lot of those parts

Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,968,342 times
^lol Chicken feet (Adidas), Chicken Head (Helmet). Funny names created by Filipinos regarding street food. I know other Asians eat balut (the embryo duck) that one I cannot take. hehehe..

Old 04-01-2013, 09:51 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,845,808 times
Quote:
All the Stews Philippines has are all contributed by Spain. Yes their foods look more presentable but it's also because that is somehow how they serve their foods in Europe ( stew, fries, espresso cup of rice and a salad ) while Filipinos are not really so good in food presentation ( they just do not really have any art in food presentation. However, I don't agree that Spanish food is more exotic and spicier. Their foods are not spicy at all.

i do agree with it. we tend to be sloppy in our presentation. we're not as precise as, say, koreans and japanese with presentation.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:11 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,441,926 times
I personally love Filipino food, I had tapsilog earlier on today. I love mami soup and caldereta is one of my favorite dishes. There is quiet a few Filipino restaurants where I live.

And compared to other asian restaurants i like eating a Filipino restaurants because filipinos are freindly, I find other asians very rude.....Specially east asians. They only want white people pr other east asians eating at their establishments, so i rather spend my money else where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or