U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
846 posts, read 945,692 times
Reputation: 897

Advertisements

Maybe it's a bit of an acquired taste but of all the cuisines, this is one that simply does not appeal to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,850,272 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush232 View Post
Filipino food is disgusting! It smells like rotten week old chinese food. Even filipinos don't eat their own food, preferring to eat chinese instead. Just go to Daly City and eat at best filipino places or the cheapest. They all taste bad.

Have you ever heard of filipino food winning any world-wide food competitions? It's always chinese, italian, french, japanese, thai.

Filipino food is even worse than British food.
Chinese food make me sick... It is always floating in oil.
Yes Filipino food is not known in the world but to say it is disgusting is too much. We do not eat cats, rats, lizzards and other exotic animals.

I think everything that you say about Filipinos and the Philippines is negative. You really probably have so much hatred againts Filipino people ... Did your gf dump you for a Filipino man ? Or you lost your job because of a Filipina ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 07:35 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Well, I went to a filipino restaurant recently for lunch and had a tapsilog. It was simple, but delicious. It came with a lot of condiment options on the side including sugar cane vinegar (with garlic), some small green chilis, banana ketchup, and maggi calamansi seasoning. I tried to use less of the calamansi seasoning because looking at the ingredients list pretty much tells me it's mostly msg though a bit of it did go a long way. I really liked the sugar cane vinegar. The tapsilog itself was great and an incredibly hearty way to start the day. The garlic rice wasn't overpowering, the tapa itself was also fantastic. I was thankful to have some pickles and raw veggies on the side though as otherwise it would've been too heavy. Good, simple, straightforward stuff--I wouldn't mind eating that often.

So thus far I've enjoyed the sinigang and tapsilog. I tried a bad adobo some time ago (I reckon it was maybe done poorly?) and I had dinuguan which was so-so. What recommendations do you have for the next thing? Kare-kare? Sisig?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Chinese food make me sick... It is always floating in oil.
Yes Filipino food is not known in the world but to say it is disgusting is too much. We do not eat cats, rats, lizzards and other exotic animals.

I think everything that you say about Filipinos and the Philippines is negative. You really probably have so much hatred againts Filipino people ... Did your gf dump you for a Filipino man ? Or you lost your job because of a Filipina ?
Why are you eating the kind of Chinese food that floats in oil then? There's such a huge variety and a lot of different regional cuisines that I think you'd have to have a pretty limited knowledge of Chinese food in order to say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,850,272 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why are you eating the kind of Chinese food that floats in oil then? There's such a huge variety and a lot of different regional cuisines that I think you'd have to have a pretty limited knowledge of Chinese food in order to say that.
That's what I get in Shenzhen... All the chinese food I had were all floating in oil. Even the Chinese pizza, piggy in a blanket were the same, I had to wrap then in paper towels to remove the oil. I had a friend before who had a Chinese maid and she said, she would usually buy a big tin of cooking oil to save, but it would always run out so quickly because her maid would consume so much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
That's what I get in Shenzhen... All the chinese food I had were all floating in oil. Even the Chinese pizza, piggy in a blanket were the same, I had to wrap then in paper towels to remove the oil. I had a friend before who had a Chinese maid and she said, she would usually buy a big tin of cooking oil to save, but it would always run out so quickly because her maid would consume so much of it.
Well, that's one part of the country--and odd to me as when I've been there I haven't found the cuisine so oily. China is pretty big and has quite a few people. Also, if you're in the south then you can probably side heavier with steamed dishes which are common down there (though perhaps more common in home cooking). The congee in that region is probably my favorite, so that's an option as are claypot dishes and the numerous soups. I think it's generally street food that's heavy on the oil down there, but maybe you're going to the wrong places? Then again, I didn't spend much time in Shenzhen and was much more in Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,850,272 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, that's one part of the country--and odd to me as when I've been there I haven't found the cuisine so oily. China is pretty big and has quite a few people. Also, if you're in the south then you can probably side heavier with steamed dishes which are common down there (though perhaps more common in home cooking). The congee in that region is probably my favorite, so that's an option as are claypot dishes and the numerous soups. I think it's generally street food that's heavy on the oil down there, but maybe you're going to the wrong places? Then again, I didn't spend much time in Shenzhen and was much more in Hong Kong.
No I don't eat streetfood because of hygiene . Even good and quite expenssive restaurants are the same so I try to stay away from Chinese foods. Just sad because even pastries are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,606,089 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
No I don't eat streetfood because of hygiene . Even good and quite expenssive restaurants are the same so I try to stay away from Chinese foods. Just sad because even pastries are the same.
Even the vice president of USA ate at a local restaurant in Beijing. I guess he's not as picky as you.

If you live in a place, you should try your best to embrace it, rather than complaining about everything like a little girl. That only makes your life miserable. I'm sure Guangzhou is not like a hell compared to ANY city in the Philippines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
No I don't eat streetfood because of hygiene . Even good and quite expenssive restaurants are the same so I try to stay away from Chinese foods. Just sad because even pastries are the same.
Then I'm pretty sure you're going to pretty much all the wrongs ones or are ordering poorly? If you're in the south, there should be a lot of steamed dishes and other non-oily stuff. Maybe with the dishes with oil you're doing it wrong? Generally, you're supposed to take the portions to your bowl and much of the oil from stir-frying is pretty much left in the dish rather than taken to your bowl. I know there have been expats I've met in Shanghai who made that mistake and sort of just poured everything in and basically soaked their rice with a good deal of the oil as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,850,272 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Even the vice president of USA ate at a local restaurant in Beijing. I guess he's not as picky as you.

If you live in a place, you should try your best to embrace it, rather than complaining about everything like a little girl. That only makes your life miserable. I'm sure Guangzhou is not like a hell compared to ANY city in the Philippines.
I am not complaining with the city, it is clean. I was talking about streetfood, I also try to stay away from streetfood even in the Philippines. Guangzhou maybe clean but it is very hard to get a cab there, probably the hardest from all the places I've been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top