U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:04 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, there's got to be some great stuff right? I know I like sinigang and a lot of Chinese-derived stuff (though it often stays pretty close to the original source). Banana ketchup is alright, but not very exciting. The raw ingredients used themselves are quite good so roast pig, sausages, stir-fries, fried rice, grilled fish, and the like will certainly be good, but there aren't too many actual distinctively filipino dishes I know and have cravings for. Hopefully someone on this forum has a wealth of knowledge about filipino cuisine and what are some great things to try.
A lot of people like kare kare, menudo, and laing . I've never tried them before.

The main ones I eat are lumpia, pancit, and abodo. Typical, I know. The only one I really crave on occasion is lumpia.

I used to like Dinuguan when I was a kid and then I found out what it was...

A lot of Filipino food would gross Westerners out badly. That's why it's not popular. And a lot of the good stuff (supposedly) doesn't look visually appealing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
It doesn't even compare to Latin American food. I wish Filipino food were a nice mix of Latin American and Asian cuisine, but it seems like it's a bad mix of the two
Sadly, I'd have to agree. Having spent 10 months in South America, I really loved the beefsteak and rice with a side of french fries on it.

Filipino food: I do quite like ADOBO though...as long as it doesn't have too much fat on it. Seems like the more fat on the meat, the more its liked in the Philippines.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:01 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,730 times
try these

palabok

vigan empanada

kare kare

mechado

Old 01-14-2013, 05:27 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
If you've watched Anthony Bourdain in the Philippines, it's kind of uninspiring. Pretty much the only thing he praised was lechon. It's also the only one that I have some occasional cravings for. Just be sure to get the Visayan style that is flavorful enough that it does not need any additional sauce (such as Mang Tomas).

If you are in the Philippines, you can try grilled squid or sizzling squid. I like that too but don't really crave it. It's typically not found outside the Philippines.

Outside of the Philippines, I pretty much can live without Filipino food and have made some substitutes that I actually prefer compared to the Filipino dish.

If there's no lechon, I will get crispy pata. If no crispy pata, lechon kawali will do. If no Filipino restaurant, I found that the Cantonese-style crispy skin pork is pretty much similar to lechon kawali.

If there's no sinigang, I will just find tom yum soup.

If there's no kare-kare, I will go for either Thai red curry beef or rendang.

If there's no lumpia (which I don't exactly consider Filipino food), I will try to look for Vietnamese spring rolls or just Chinese-American egg rolls.

Pancit palabok is also nice, but I prefer pad thai or any type of Chinese noodles such as char kway teow.

Also, I particularly hate it in Filipino restaurants when I have to make my own sauce out of soy sauce, native vinegar, calamansi and chili. IMO, it has to be the cook who should provide it as I am not exactly skillful in making it myself.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,965,031 times
My favorite is Pancit Malabon

It's hard I couldn't find anyone that cook this kind of food
in my location right now.

When I tried the Thai papaya salad. I remembered our Philippine Atsara

Philippine's Atsara papaya or the Bamboo Shoot

Lechon will always be one of the Filipino's favorite

Sinigang is one of my favorite.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,203,730 times
I notice lots of the filipino foods have a vinegar taste in all the sauces, even the soups taste like it has some vinegar in it, they also use lots of garlic

I really like the Bagoong fermented shrimp paste they use in their cooking

the most common way they serve filipino foods in the US is cafeteria style, you just point to what you want and they put it on a plate

they have lots of stewed dishes, lots of inards, fried fish, it's kind of like a asian soul food

it has a distinctive / unique flavor and seems very different than other asian cuisines and also has lots of Chinese foods that they have adapted like the noodles, Shanghai lumpia, wontons, pancit lo mein, steamed pork buns [Siopao] and also lots of Spanish breads

it's actually one of my favorites, I eat filipino foods regularly, the stews go very good with rice, a working man's food

Last edited by mr bolo; 01-25-2013 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
If you are in the Philippines, you can try grilled squid or sizzling squid. I like that too but don't really crave it. It's typically not found outside the Philippines.
We have grilled squids here too - Malay style, Portuguese style, and so on.

We also have Chinese/Taiwanese-style grilled cuttlefish.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post

Grilled squid is also common in Thailand, Vietnam and China. I think it's pretty common throughout Asia.

One can also buy 'sotong' in packets from the oriental supermarket here originating from Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:36 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post

I meant to say that I haven't seen squid in Filipino restaurants outside of the Philippines, the ones I know or have been to are only in the US.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:56 AM

3,763 posts, read 3,801,717 times
Empanadas were good.

I didn't like how hotdogs were added to fried rice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or