U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:14 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times

Advertisements

Spanish Influence foods in the Philipines : CALDERETA ADOBO MENUDO. AFRITADA. MECHADO. ARROZ VALENCIANA. PAELLA. PASTEL DE POLLO. MORCON. EMBOTIDO. CHORIZO. PESCADO AL HORNO. *DESSERTS *. LECHE FLAN. CREMA DE FRUTA. TOCINO DEL CIELO. BRAZOS DE MERCEDES. YEMAS. PASTLLAS DE LECHE. POLVORON. TURRONES DE MANI. CHURROS. *PASTRIES *. EMPANADA. PAN DE SAL. PAN DE LECHE. MAMON. ENSAIMADA. Spanish foods are generally not really spicy, that explains why Filipino foods are not not spicy unlike other Asian dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Spanish food is bland, and it reminded me a lot of Filipino food, bland.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I notice lots of the filipino foods have a vinegar taste in all the sauces, even the soups taste like it has some vinegar in it, they also use lots of garlic

I really like the Bagoong fermented shrimp paste they use in their cooking

the most common way they serve filipino foods in the US is cafeteria style, you just point to what you want and they put it on a plate

they have lots of stewed dishes, lots of inards, fried fish, it's kind of like a asian soul food

it has a distinctive / unique flavor and seems very different than other asian cuisines and also has lots of Chinese foods that they have adapted like the noodles, Shanghai lumpia, wontons, pancit lo mein, steamed pork buns [Siopao] and also lots of Spanish breads

it's actually one of my favorites, I eat filipino foods regularly, the stews go very good with rice, a working man's food
The Stews are all Spanish influence ..

Old 04-01-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Filipino food seems to have a larger component of fried food, than other Asian cultures. Some Filipino food has similarities to Chinese and Singaporean cuisines.
Chinese foods are waaaay oilier, greasier than Filipino food.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
we may be more spanish-influenced subconsciously, but our more conscious orientation is toward US influence. we tend to consciously/deliberately imitate american ways more than we do the spanish ways because we looked to the americans as our heroes from the spanish regime. i admit i haven't seen any documentation of some sort, but the more localized dishes we have (the less popular ones) tend to be spicier (like the ones in the bicol region) than the more national/popular ones (like adobo).
Spanish Influence foods in the Philipines : CALDERETA ADOBO MENUDO. AFRITADA. MECHADO. ARROZ VALENCIANA. PAELLA. PASTEL DE POLLO. MORCON. EMBOTIDO. CHORIZO. PESCADO AL HORNO. *DESSERTS *. LECHE FLAN. CREMA DE FRUTA. TOCINO DEL CIELO. BRAZOS DE MERCEDES. YEMAS. PASTLLAS DE LECHE. POLVORON. TURRONES DE MANI. CHURROS. *PASTRIES *. EMPANADA. PAN DE SAL. PAN DE LECHE. MAMON. ENSAIMADA. Spanish foods are generally not really spicy, that explains why Filipino foods are not not spicy unlike other Asian dishes.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Man you have not tried good Indo food. I'm almost rank it up there with Malaysian, there are many similarities too.
I agree.. Indian and Malaysian have a lot of similarities .. Well of couse because there are so many Indians in Malaysia..

Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Not consumer friendly. A lot of the dishes have inedible parts, like bones, scales, and eyeballs which you have to eat around or use your hands. I hate it. Even soups will have pieces of meat that are still attached to bone. Or they'll put a whole fish in their with bones and a eyeball starting at you. Why so much inedible junk in soup?

Chicken adobo, a favorite, uses chicken wings, even though it would make much more sense to use chicken without the bones since you're eating it with rice.

I'm not sure if this is exclusively a Filipino thing, but it's something I hate about our food. I noticed the same thing in Spain though. They had paella with full shrimp in it, with eyeballs and all. I didn't like Spanish food either.
There are so many inedible parts in Chinese food too, much more than Filipino foods., they use chicken feet a lot and chicken heads too.. When they serve a whole roasted Duck, it even still comes with a head., like a whole dead duck served on the table.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
I don't really know about Filipino cuisine but by the looks of it, I'd say Thai, Indonesian, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Cambodian, and ethnic Chinese cuisine look wayyy better and appetising than what I saw in the pictures. I may be wrong.

Not sure how much Spanish influence has had on Filipino food, Spanish food generally looks exotic, presentable, and full of spices to me, similar to most southern European cuisines.

As for whole fish being served and bones in soups, that's how most Asian cuisines are presented. I have definitely no problem with that.
All the Stews Philippines has are all contributed by Spain. Yes their foods look more presentable but it's also because that is somehow how they serve their foods in Europe ( stew, fries, espresso cup of rice and a salad ) while Filipinos are not really so good in food presentation ( they just do not really have any art in food presentation. However, I don't agree that Spanish food is more exotic and spicier. Their foods are not spicy at all.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
All the Stews Philippines has are all contributed by Spain. Yes their foods look more presentable but it's also because that is somehow how they serve their foods in Europe ( stew, fries, espresso cup of rice and a salad ) while Filipinos are not really so good in food presentation ( they just do not really have any art in food presentation. However, I don't agree that Spanish food is more exotic and spicier. Their foods are not spicy at all.

You know Nilagang Baka is similar to Caldo de Res, I just saw the
Mexican food that my cousin-in-law posted on her facebook. She's mexican.

Caldo de Res

http://mexicofoodandmore.com/wp-cont...pia-Flickr.jpg

Nilagang Baka

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_2-WbSOdJ0...0/P1050361.JPG
We used Pechay though.

Is there similar Asian food for Nilagang Baka or Beef Soup?

Other Filipino Soup is the Chicken Sopas, Chicken Soup (Tinolang Manok), Champorado is one of the nice food when it rain but I never tried with tuyo or the dried fish.

Last edited by pinai; 04-01-2013 at 05:44 AM..

Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Easy: because I've lived in each of those countries. The quality and variety of ingredients in Thailand and Malaysia are vastly superior to Laos and Indonesia. The latter are 'poor cousins'. Or as I like to say, Lao food is poor man's Thai. And I realize I left out Cambodia on my list. I would put it right after Laos. I think the Khmer Rouge murdered all the decent chefs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
You know Nilagang Baka is similar to Caldo de Res, I just saw the
Mexican food that my cousin-in-law posted on her facebook. She's mexican.

Caldo de Res

http://mexicofoodandmore.com/wp-cont...pia-Flickr.jpg

Nilagang Baka

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_2-WbSOdJ0...0/P1050361.JPG
We used Pechay though.

Is there similar Asian food for Nilagang Baka or Beef Soup?

Other Filipino Soup is the Chicken Sopas, Chicken Soup (Tinolang Manok), Champorado is one of the nice food when it rain but I never tried with tuyo or the dried fish.
^

Looks like Chinese stew or hotpot to me lol. My mum made soups and they look like those!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or