Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,130 times

Advertisements

I think the only Filipino food that has Indian Influence is Chicken Curry
but our curry is different to the Indian Chicken Curry though.

http://pinoyrecipe.pinoyrecipenet.ne...ino-recipe.jpg

- It's not too colorful and not too much spicy.

Camaron Rebosado (similar to Japanese Tempura)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3556/...64d2fa1e0e.jpg

Rellenong Bangus (Stuffed Milkfish)

Last edited by pinai; 01-26-2013 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Is your chicken curry more like the Vietnamese/Chinese style (which I'd hardly call curry) or the Malaysian/Indonesian style?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 PM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,267,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
What are the mix of Otak Otak? & most of the Filipino food we don't usually use that much spicy.
I notice a lot likes spicy food.
The typical ingredients are fish paste (mackerel), chili peppers, garlic, shallots, turmeric, lemon grass and coconut milk. Regional variants may include prawns or squids - but these are rarer.

And yes, it is a tad spicy (some spicier depending on the recipe of each seller) but certainly not as spicy or tongue-numbing as Thai tomyum.

Last edited by kyh; 01-26-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
I'm seeing a lot of misinformation on Filipino food which is probably why its not so well known. But it has unique flavors and has been influenced by Chinese, Malay, Spanish, Mexican, etc. cuisine.

Philippine cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't get it a lot. None in New Hampshire, 1 restaurant in Massachusetts. But if I go I like kare-kare (meat with peanut butter stew, pancit and sinigang (soup). In the summer time, a good halo halo (crushed ice, ice cream, preserved fruit, sweetened milk, sweet red beans, etc) is hard to beat.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Not consumer friendly. A lot of the dishes have inedible parts, like bones, scales, and eyeballs which you have to eat around or use your hands. I hate it. Even soups will have pieces of meat that are still attached to bone. Or they'll put a whole fish in their with bones and a eyeball starting at you. Why so much inedible junk in soup?

Chicken adobo, a favorite, uses chicken wings, even though it would make much more sense to use chicken without the bones since you're eating it with rice.

I'm not sure if this is exclusively a Filipino thing, but it's something I hate about our food. I noticed the same thing in Spain though. They had paella with full shrimp in it, with eyeballs and all. I didn't like Spanish food either.
I've never had filipino fish with scales. They descale the fish prior to serving. If you're opposed to eyeballs, etc. I guess you don't eat Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, Indo, Malaysian or Singaporean food. The Philippines is not unique where fish is served whole (head, tail).

As for Adobo.. its not JUST made with chicken wings LOL WHERE do you get your Filipino food? I'd find a better place. Any part of the chicken can be made into Adobo. You can also make Pork Adobo, Shrimp Adobo, etc. Bones add flavor to the adobo as much as bones add flavor to western soup stock. When I was a kid I spent a few months living with my grandma and she had the most amazing cook.. everything from good paella, to frog leg curry (after they chased after the frogs I set free), empanadas, tamarind soup (sinigang). Every Sunday the clan would gather for lunch (20-30 people every Sunday for lunch) at her house. It was a loud noisy fun gathering with a lot of food, much better than the bland american food I was used to living in the states.

Last edited by minibrings; 01-27-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I've never had filipino food with scales. They descale the fish.

If you're opposed to eyeballs, etc. I guess you don't eat Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, Indo, Malaysian or Singaporean food. The Philippines is not unique where fish is served whole (head, tail).
I guess you're limited to American food then? Even in the states you can get weird things on occassion.

As for Adobo.. its not JUST chicken wings. Any part of the chicken can be made into Adobo. You can also make Pork Adobo, Shrimp Adobo, etc. Bones add flavor to the adobo as much as bones add flavor to western soup stock.
String beans Adobo taste good for vegetarian

Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,995,422 times
Quote:
adobo is made using animal fat...I think offering a vegetarian string beans bathed in pork fat would be blasphemy

I could never eat adobo...too greasy

Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I've never tried it.. the recipes I found online had pork though.

I watched Anthony Bourdain have shrimp adobo on TV and I tried to recreate the recipe, with limtied success.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
adobo is made using animal fat...I think offering a vegetarian string beans bathed in pork fat would be blasphemy

I could never eat adobo...too greasy
for me the "nilagang talbos ng kamote" & dip it in bagoong fish sauce with calamansi & chilli.
that's what we eat back home in the province, hehe my grandma's little vegetable backyard.

Lol when it comes to vegetable food. Ilocanos are known in Pinakbet, adobong saluyot & dinengdeng
My grandma always cook these Ilocano food.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,995,422 times
Quote:
for me the "nilagang talbos ng kamote" & dip it in bagoong fish sauce with calamansi & chilli.
that's what we eat back home in the province, hehe my grandma's little vegetable backyard.

Lol when it comes to vegetable food. Ilocanos are known in Pinakbet, adobong saluyot & dinengdeng
My grandma always cook these Ilocano food.

as for me...I like kare-kare....especially when its cooked using coconut milk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia