U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

I know people are people are some are more ignorant than others, but how do you think Westerners are viewed overall in Asia by country?

In Thailand I think a lot of people are on one hand grateful that the 'farangs' help the economy, but i'm sure there is resentment or even derision about how they come just to sex it up. I think because a lot of the sex tourists are fat middle aged men there seems less of a worship of white men there. I'm sure Thai men, like a lot of Asian men, think European women are the bees knees though.

Japan and Korea are homogeneous societies and 'gaijin' are treated either as a novelty or in some cases with suspicion or even xenophobia. I've heard some are a bit wary of blacks, for instance.

Singapore and Malaysians are more exposed to Western culture, and some of them aspire to be as Western as possible and look up to Europeans, but since they're as well off as the West, and are indeed a semi-Western culture IMO, there's less of a fascination.

The Chinese - hard to say, there are some young Chinese people who really look up to the West, and they actually seem to really admire a lot of American culture. Same goes for Vietnam despite the War.

India seems to look more to Britain than the US, and Indian men almost treat white women as goddesses. India seems the least touched by Western culture in some ways though, maintaining a traditional society. They get far less tourists than SE Asia, but many of these tourists are more interested in the culture.

The Middle East - i'm not sure, but it might depend on your nationality...I think there are a lot of people in countries like Iran and Jordan who do not 'hate Americans', and just want to get along. We're all humans after all.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Japan - they treat foreigners very respectfully.

Vietnam - like you're a walking ATM machine.

Korea - kind, helpful, honest, give you the umbrella if it's raining.

Malaysia - very kind. Treat you like anybody else.

Thailand - income.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
From my experience in China, foreigners in general were treated very well.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
for the Philippines it would depend were you were

Mindanao- unwanted...
Most of Visayas- dont care attitude
Manila- everyone is going to crowd all over you...

Old 01-14-2013, 04:10 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
for the Philippines it would depend were you were

Mindanao- unwanted...
Why unwanted?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Why unwanted?
alot of villages there have very anti-western feelings

Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
alot of villages there have very anti-western feelings
Reasons?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM

1,093 posts, read 2,278,272 times
I think some of the answers you are getting are based on people's travelling experiences in those countries. Many comments are grossly inaccurate. A westerner who speaks an Asian language and lives/has lived in Asia would give much more accurate statements.

Try looking up 'Daves ESL Cafe'. It's an international site used by foreign teachers of English all over the world. Look up the Asian country that interests you (i.e. Japan) and read some of the experiences these teachers have - Japanese refusing to rent to foreigners, Chinese laughing at westerners 'big eyes' , koreans refusing to sit near westerners on buses - the reality is a few acts of kindess in a sea of ignorant and racist behaviour.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,788,165 times
In Japan, the latest thing is having a black boyfriend (because of Tiger Woods). Maybe it's changed since then but at least a few years ago it was that way. Some Nigerian guys who have emigrated there and operate the store fronts for the Yaks or some other crime syndicate / shady business have said that it's the 'yellow cab, black passenger' thing. Think about it a sec, you'll figure it out

that's just the vanity part of trendy Tokyo though; was the same with white guys in the 90s or so I heard (I wouldn't know, I was in high school in the 90s).

By and large, Westerners are treated less and less like exotic people in Japan (unless you're blonde haired or red haired, a friend I know who taught english for a year there said the kids loved touching her long, blonde hair). I think they are curious more than anything (my in-laws wondered if I had ever been in the military, I explained it was a volunteer force and how that system works; they wondered if I voted for Bush; etc).

That's in the public-at-large realm. Businesspeople from Japan I've met treat Westerners professionally and as rivals. They're keen to do business like any other Westerner and judging from my experience with them, they truly value doing business to both gain revenue and learn both business realities and cultural exchanges. One company my company does business with has a local office and the head manager is Japanese, but loves it here and he is REALLY relaxed and easygoing. He says he gets 5-10 Japanese guys over in the States for a year on rotation because he says the unique culture and relatively open culture means they loosen up and think less linearly; essential skills if Japan is going to get out of the doldrums he says.

So, if anything, the Japanese seem to genuinely like the West in general, and especially the USA (except for a thorn or two, and they're growing wary of how we're trying to balance our relationship with Japan and China at the same time).

Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
In Japan, the latest thing is having a black boyfriend (because of Tiger Woods). Maybe it's changed since then but at least a few years ago it was that way. Some Nigerian guys who have emigrated there and operate the store fronts for the Yaks or some other crime syndicate / shady business have said that it's the 'yellow cab, black passenger' thing. Think about it a sec, you'll figure it out

that's just the vanity part of trendy Tokyo though; was the same with white guys in the 90s or so I heard (I wouldn't know, I was in high school in the 90s).

By and large, Westerners are treated less and less like exotic people in Japan (unless you're blonde haired or red haired, a friend I know who taught english for a year there said the kids loved touching her long, blonde hair). I think they are curious more than anything (my in-laws wondered if I had ever been in the military, I explained it was a volunteer force and how that system works; they wondered if I voted for Bush; etc).

That's in the public-at-large realm. Businesspeople from Japan I've met treat Westerners professionally and as rivals. They're keen to do business like any other Westerner and judging from my experience with them, they truly value doing business to both gain revenue and learn both business realities and cultural exchanges. One company my company does business with has a local office and the head manager is Japanese, but loves it here and he is REALLY relaxed and easygoing. He says he gets 5-10 Japanese guys over in the States for a year on rotation because he says the unique culture and relatively open culture means they loosen up and think less linearly; essential skills if Japan is going to get out of the doldrums he says.

So, if anything, the Japanese seem to genuinely like the West in general, and especially the USA (except for a thorn or two, and they're growing wary of how we're trying to balance our relationship with Japan and China at the same time).
Japan has always been different from most asian countries...whats true for Japan is not true for other countries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or