U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:44 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,292,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Overseas Chinese in western countries are mostly either Cantonese-speaking from HK and Guangdong or Mandarin-speaking from Taiwan and most regions of Mainland China. Other Chinese dialects speakers are not too many in Western countries.
It used to be true, but not any more.

This is from the Toronto 2011 census, and being an extremely diverse city, I think it represents the trend of overseas Chinese

It is interesting to note that there are transformations happening within certain language families. For example:

People who speak Chinese languages regularly at home, including Cantonese, Mandarin and other dialects, makeup 7% of Toronto's population. Among those
who speak a Chinese language, 37% speakCantonese, while 28% speak Mandarin.

Mandarin as a home language has increased by 32% since 2006, while Cantonese has decreased by 11%

As you can see, Cantonese speakers only represent about 37%, Mandarin 28%, while the remaining 35% speak others. And I have reason to believe the Mandarin number is inflated, because for example, for someone who speak Wu or Xiang dialect, they are very likely to choose Mandarin because that's what they speak most frequently outside their family circle with other Chinese, and there is not specific choice just for their language.

Cantonese declined by 11% in a matter of 5 years, which is significant. I predict in a matter of 20 years, Cantonese will cease to be the dominant Chinese language overseas and will become just one of those Chinese languages spoken overseas, reflecting its real status within China.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 05:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
the police and court system, the movies and films of TVB

Old 04-26-2015, 08:50 AM

448 posts, read 500,674 times
Yeah, the only place in East Asia with officers saying "Yes Sir!" , "Yes Madam" to superiors and judges wearing wigs.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:18 AM

64 posts, read 58,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Yeah, the only place in East Asia with officers saying "Yes Sir!" , "Yes Madam" to superiors and judges wearing wigs.
It's so common that civilian always refer to policeman as 'sir' or 'madam' (as if 'ah sir' or 'ah madam').

Old 04-28-2015, 11:47 PM

2,897 posts, read 5,288,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What do you think of, when you think of HONG KONG?

I don't have strong images like when I think of 'Japan' or 'Korea' or 'Thailand'.

For Hong Kong, I tend to think of the landscape more than anything. Skycrapers and mountains and a bay.

I don't have much imagery that comes up in mind with popular culture or any culture. Maybe Jackie Chan, neon lights, and Blade Runner scenes. Nothing too current though, within the last decade or two. Are there more current cultural things I should be thinking about?

How about you?
the star ferry for HK$2 with junks in view and skyscrapers in front of me.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:01 PM

205 posts, read 253,966 times
I think of dim sum, the Mid-Levels, night markets, the skyline, and crowded streets in Mong Kok.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:23 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,292,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
I think of dim sum, the Mid-Levels, night markets, the skyline, and crowded streets in Mong Kok.
nothing about these are unique to Hong Kong.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:40 PM

15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
nothing about these are unique to Hong Kong.
The question is what does the poster think about, when they think about Hong Kong. The question isn't what is unique about Hong Kong.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:16 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,381,493 times
... and anyone who can't find anything unique about HK probably stuck to the recommendations in the bedside magazine at the Hyatt.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:34 PM

20 posts, read 16,777 times
Never been to Hong Kong, except for the airport. But Hong Kong reminds me of Jackie Chan haha. And shopping and the Disneyland for Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or