U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:15 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

It is a lot tougher for an African or middle eastern man who marries a Chinese woman, since work and therefore visas are harder to come by. About six months ago, GZ authorities started cracking down on the African community because there is a larger percentage of them who overstay their visas; much heavier scrutiny for the ones with valid visas upon re-entry from HK or Macau, with lots of guys shut out from their Chinese families. If they presented documentation for marriage, the response was, "why didn't you get a spouse visa?" Not much sympathy from the immigration authorities on the issue.
Why didn't they get a spouse visa? Just because one is married to a local doesn't mean she or he can automatically stay in a foreign country. It applies to every country, no? An overstay is an overstay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 AM

668 posts, read 698,633 times
I think of sweaty Asian bankers

Old 05-06-2015, 11:16 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,363,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
not sure about your situation ... is your spouse a Hong Kong citizen? You mentioned she is from Hunan and also needed visa to work in HK. PRC citizens are not allowed to work in Hong Kong freely.
She's a PRC citizen. She had only been to HK once before we got together. She needs a visa not only to work there, but to travel there.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:42 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
She's a PRC citizen. She had only been to HK once before we got together. She needs a visa not only to work there, but to travel there.
because it is a SAR, not a typical Chinese city.

I am all supportive of absolute freedom of moving to and working in HK for Chinese citizen (not that I am interested in it in 100 years), but the HKers will whine again.

In this sense, your wife is practically considered a foreign to Hong Kong, just like a Chinese H1 visa holder in the US. Actually it is even worse than a foreigner - westerners can go to HK visa free, the Chinese can't.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:09 PM

448 posts, read 499,799 times
There are good reasons for HK and Macau families to hire Southeast Asian maids instead of Mainland Chinese, even if they both read the same language or eat and cook similar Chinese cuisines. Few people in the SARs want to change the maids' places of origin.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:01 PM

9,686 posts, read 15,874,542 times
It brings to mind custom made suits. My uncle traveled there on business, and had his suits custom made there. They kept his measurements on file. He could get a suit made, plus shipping, for less than an off-the-rack suit here!

Old 05-06-2015, 05:27 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
There are good reasons for HK and Macau families to hire Southeast Asian maids instead of Mainland Chinese, even if they both read the same language or eat and cook similar Chinese cuisines. Few people in the SARs want to change the maids' places of origin.
What good reasons are there? I can't think of any.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
because it is a SAR, not a typical Chinese city.

I am all supportive of absolute freedom of moving to and working in HK for Chinese citizen (not that I am interested in it in 100 years), but the HKers will whine again.

In this sense, your wife is practically considered a foreign to Hong Kong, just like a Chinese H1 visa holder in the US. Actually it is even worse than a foreigner - westerners can go to HK visa free, the Chinese can't.
I think there's some confusion; someone asked what "border crossing" is like for the two of us, because of the restrictions that the PRC puts on Mainlanders going into HK, and the relative ease with which Americans can do it... it wasn't a discussion about whether it was just or not for her to work there... it's much harder for her to enter there in the first place, but if she was allowed to stay long-term, it would be easier for her to obtain permanent resident status and get an HK passport than it would be for me. Therein lies a loophole: after we are married, she can (in theory, at least - Chinese visa policies are very murky) obtain a better HK visa which would allow her more, or unlimited, entries, and a longer term of stay. Additionally, I can start a HK LLC and since she is my wife, I can put her name on it; this provides her with a reason to go to and from HK frequently and would most likely result in a cross-border pass. If we had an apartment there, after seven years, as a Chinese citizen, she would be able to obtain PR status in HK, and then I could get PR status there as well as her spouse.

Anyways...

If the Chinese gov't did allow free travel in and out of HK, even though there's a minority of people like you who wouldn't be interested in it "in 100 years," there are a lot more who would be and you would see a massive flood of migration. Some of it would be wealthier folks who were willing to purchase property, and that would mean that prices would rise, again, and also that there would be a construction "boom." But, with little available land, you would see more old buildings replaced with newer, bigger ones. During that construction period, people would be displaced with fewer places to go. This combined with the rising costs, would mean an increase in homelessness and likely crime, to say nothing of increased tensions between HK'ers and Mainlanders. Why would HK want this to happen?

The PRC are the ones who ultimately say how easy it is or isn't for mainlanders to go into HK, and they don't want free travel between the two because no matter what anyone likes to say to the contrary, there are a lot of wealthy people who would be more than happy to move money out of China and into the rest of the world freely. HK provides many more opportunities to do that. Its protectionist economic policies only work if there are protections in place. Another big issue would be that Chinese citizens could obtain HK passports and then leave China much more easily than they could otherwise - again, no matter what anyone likes to say to the contrary about China having superior economic opportunities to the West, a superior culture, or whatever else may or may not be true... the simple fact is that plenty of Chinese would love to emigrate, if not permanently, then temporarily - especially wealthier ones. For the next 30 years, HK would become a great place to park money before moving that money to the US, Canada, or Australia in the eyes of many, and this would create even bigger amounts of tension between the PRC and HK gov'ts and people as HK struggled to maintain what autonomy it has and the PRC struggled to exert its force over them without openly doing so.

You also have the issue of relative free speech and trade of information in HK; wealthy, powerful, and/or vocal dissidents would have an easier time of getting to HK and find themselves in a place where they are now free to criticize the CCP as much as they please; also, they are in a greater position to go abroad. This is a non-issue for an average, middle-or-low income person, but it could be a big snafu if, again, wealthy and powerful dissidents were able to leave. There are plenty of Chinese party and military members who are barred from traveling out of China who would be more than happy to sell secrets to overseas governments in exchange for residency and a "thank you" pension. HK simply provides more avenues for this to happen.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
It brings to mind custom made suits. My uncle traveled there on business, and had his suits custom made there. They kept his measurements on file. He could get a suit made, plus shipping, for less than an off-the-rack suit here!
Heheh, the suit guys in Kowloon, around Nathan Road, are relentless and annoying... "HELLO SIR, TAILOR, CUSTOM SUIT, TIE, YES PLEASE SIR COME RIGHT THIS WAY" stepping in front of you and trying to shove a card in your hand...

... then, after 6 or so... "HELLO SIR, TAILOR, CUSTOM SUIT, MARIJUANA HASHISH, TIE, PRETTY LADY YES PLEASE SIR COME RIGHT THIS WAY."

Another thing I think of when I think of HK

But, yes: the tailors there are legendary, and it shows... if you hang around Central or East TST during or after business hours, everyone is wearing a damn-fine suit. I have a few myself... I got three custom-tailored for what I'd pay for one brand-name off-the-rack suit back in the US, for sure.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,818,592 times
Manhattan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or