U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 02:54 PM

501 posts, read 461,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am definitely a city person (always complain about how suburban/small Toronto is here) and I am not interested in HK whatsoever.

Like I said, if I were rich and didn't have to work, I would be living in Spain (and London/Paris in the summer). HK is ugly and tacky unless you only look at its skyline from afar. I will shoot myself in the foot if I have to listen to Cantonese every single hour.
I'd feel like shooting myself in the foot every time I read one of your posts. Or in the eyes.

We get it. You love China, hate HK. Love Mandarin, hate Cantonese. Hate Vancouver and hate anyone who disagrees with you.

I agree with Tiger Beer. I like Hong Kong. I like Cantonese. I like Vancouver too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:04 PM

653 posts, read 539,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It depends if a person is a city person or not.

For me, I love Hong Kong. I love the energy, and I love Hong Kong's setting - warm climate, mountains absolutely everywhere, and ocean everywhere. All of that oozing with dense urban amenities every step.

Just the very sounds of the names Monaco and Switzerland, give me this 'one foot in the grave' feel.
Is Hong Kong a place you would want to live long-term? Like, migrating to Hong Kong with your family and all...I think Hong Kong has a pretty good economic future and such. Is Hong Kong and Macau safe places to open foreign currency accounts or should I just keep everything in Singapore?

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 04-13-2015 at 09:30 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 10:35 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
Quote:
I fail to see why would want to be in HK, instead of Monaco or Switzerland if I were rich.

Actually if I were rich, I would probably move to Spain.

What the hell does HK offer? great subways?
maybe the rich people in HK are there because their presence In HK is, at least in part, a reason why they are rich?

HK is also more concisely international than Monaco or Zurich, which are much smaller in size and scale. Monaco is little more than a playground for the super rich and is really not a very dynamic place. Zurich is a fairly sleepy, small city in the grand scheme of things. Not that these are bad things, and of course, the people there like them for this reason.

The elites in these cities spend much of their time cavorting around the rest of Europe for cultural events and young people will make extended trips to Paris, London, Ibiza, Berlin, etc for nightlife. In HK, all these amenities are in the city already. You can hop in your Ferrari and go to see your favorite performers rather than getting on your private jet.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:47 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
Quote:
I am definitely a city person (always complain about how suburban/small Toronto is here) and I am not interested in HK whatsoever.
you've also made it very well known that you despise HK for not pledging its allegiance to PRC policies and social mores and have expressed your dislike of Cantonese culture, so I think that your opinions are more rooted in being a young, nationaliatic overseas Chinese whose primary exposure to mainland China is the wealthier and more modern/international element of Shanghai.

If HK had joined the PRC during the revolution, but somehow retained all that it has now in economy and culture, I have no doubt you would hold it up as a paradigm of Chinese superiority.

Quote:
Like I said, if I were rich and didn't have to work, I would be living in Spain (and London/Paris in the summer). HK is ugly and tacky unless you only look at its skyline from afar. I will shoot myself in the foot if I have to listen to Cantonese every single hour.
There you go again...

Old 04-13-2015, 11:01 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Zurich is actually not too small, if you count the suburbs. Of course it is not as populous as Hong Kong (by far).
I used to live in a suburban town of Zurich and take a train to the city. Zurich has some fun places too, and I also hit the clubs with friends on weekends. But things are very expensive there. Langstrasse is a popular place for young, single bankers

Zurich is very international, with 70% residents being foreign nationals. I spoke English everywhere and had no problem at all. The waitresses, cashiers, taxi drivers... all speak English. Needless to say the locals understand German and French too.
There are not many Chinese though. "Asians" are Thais or Filipinos by default. There are also a lot of Indians.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:22 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Is Hong Kong a place you would want to live long-term? Like, migrating to Hong Kong with your family and all...I think Hong Kong has a pretty good economic future and such. Is Hong Kong and Macau safe places to open foreign currency accounts or should I just keep everything in Singapore?
I like Hong Kong/Macau quite a bit. My only real concern is I don't know what will happen when HK/Macau becomes part of China again, (I mean post-SAR - Special Administrative Region). I realize its still 30 years away, but the cultural differences between Mainland China and HK/Macau is significant. Let alone human rights issues, law issues, on and on.

That LITTLE but MAJOR thing is really my only concern. Personally, Singapore, being it's own nation-state seems more attractive.

I just don't know enough about foreign currency account differences between SG & HK to comment on which is better.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:24 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
you've also made it very well known that you despise HK for not pledging its allegiance to PRC policies and social mores and have expressed your dislike of Cantonese culture, so I think that your opinions are more rooted in being a young, nationaliatic overseas Chinese whose primary exposure to mainland China is the wealthier and more modern/international element of Shanghai.

If HK had joined the PRC during the revolution, but somehow retained all that it has now in economy and culture, I have no doubt you would hold it up as a paradigm of Chinese superiority.

There you go again...
Couldn't rep you(I obviously rep you too frequently lol). Good post anyway.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:29 PM

653 posts, read 539,469 times
Quote:
I like Hong Kong/Macau quite a bit. My only real concern is I don't know what will happen when HK/Macau becomes part of China again, (I mean post-SAR - Special Administrative Region). I realize its still 30 years away, but the cultural differences between Mainland China and HK/Macau is significant. Let alone human rights issues, law issues, on and on.

That LITTLE but MAJOR thing is really my only concern. Personally, Singapore, being it's own nation-state seems more attractive.

I just don't know enough about foreign currency account differences between SG & HK to comment on which is better.
Hhhm, I think a lot of westerners placed a lot of money in HK and macau; still, I wonder how it would turn out in the long run.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:30 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Quote:

China will change a lot in 30 years. Can you imagine what China was like in 1985?
Unless your job involves politics, I don't think human rights and so on will have a significant impact on you.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:05 AM

1,977 posts, read 1,815,468 times
Only time there was 1966, and I thought WOW NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or