U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
From the name, it seems that the main intent is probably to forgive former Muslims from apostasy and embrace them back to the religion. Most of the Philippines (all of Luzon, all of Visayas, and Mindanao except the southwestern corner) were never Muslim or had not been Muslim for the last 500 years. Why "return" to Islam? Does balik also mean return in Malay?
Yep, same meaning.

They named their organization that way probably because they wanted to return the people back to the Muslim faith which they believed was the religion of their forefathers before the arrival of the Spaniards. Manila was a Muslim kingdom back then, so was Lapu Lapu from the Visayas, thus indicating the existence of pockets of Muslim kingdoms in North and Central Philippines, and an influential religion there before the coming of Christianity.

Alternatively, the name "Balik Islam" indicates the belief of Muslims that every human is born Muslim, and it is the way of upbringing and the influence of parents and environment that has corrupted their faith in later life. Instead of calling themselves converts, they use the word "revert" - returning to the true, original faith of God, i.e. Islam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:30 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Interesting question. I think under Malaysian law anyone who marries a Malay/Muslim (the two are almost and in some cases actually synonymous in Malaysia) has to covert. I'm not sure what happens if Malays are allowed to leave Islam or convert to other religions but i don't think so. Or at least if they do they forfeit their privileges.

My uncle (dad's brother), who is Malaysian-Chinese (although his mother is Nonya-Peranakan) married a Malay lady (awhile ago, they're divorced now), but I'm not sure what the situation was there, whether he pretended to convert or what-not, since he's non-religious.

I heard some of the Straits Chinese especially in Malacca were/are Muslims, they also speak Malay as their main language unlike the Peranakan in Penang and Singapore who tend to be Hokkien speaking and Buddhist. My grandmother, who unfortunately I never met, was from a wealthy Peranakan family in Penang but they were not Muslim.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 AM
kyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting question. I think under Malaysian law anyone who marries a Malay/Muslim (the two are almost and in some cases actually synonymous in Malaysia) has to covert. I'm not sure what happens if Malays are allowed to leave Islam or convert to other religions but i don't think so. Or at least if they do they forfeit their privileges.

My uncle (dad's brother), who is Malaysian-Chinese (although his mother is Nonya-Peranakan) married a Malay lady (awhile ago, they're divorced now), but I'm not sure what the situation was there, whether he pretended to convert or what-not, since he's non-religious.

I heard some of the Straits Chinese especially in Malacca were/are Muslims, they also speak Malay as their main language unlike the Peranakan in Penang and Singapore who tend to be Hokkien speaking and Buddhist. My grandmother, who unfortunately I never met, was from a wealthy Peranakan family in Penang but they were not Muslim.
Many still indulge in pork and alcohol behind closed doors despite having converted.

Never heard of Malaccan Straits Chinese being Muslim. Since the Sultanate era, Malay ladies who were married to Chinese merchants embraced the husbands' religion and culture, and brought along their Malay traditions and mannerisms. The true can be said of the Portuguese descendants where the Malay women converted to the Catholic faith, the religion of their spouses.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Many still indulge in pork and alcohol behind closed doors despite having converted.

Never heard of Malaccan Straits Chinese being Muslim. Since the Sultanate era, Malay ladies who were married to Chinese merchants embraced the husbands' religion and culture, and brought along their Malay traditions and mannerisms. The true can be said of the Portuguese descendants where the Malay women converted to the Catholic faith, the religion of their spouses.
Oh no doubt, a lot of conversions are simply for marriage. I'm sure a lot of Malays themselves just put on the act just enough not to arouse any suspicion too.

Yes I believe that, of all the Peranakan communities, the one in Malacca was more Malay and possibly had more Malay ancestry. My grandmother does look somewhat Malay in old photos, I think she kind of looks more Thai or something, but I am not sure if and how much Malay ancestry there is in the family. The culture is definitely a hybrid of Malay, Chinese and also some Western so it's a possibility that some communities might've embraced Islam more. I'm not sure where i read it, but i'm pretty sure i read that was the case, and that a lot of them also speak Malay at home.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 AM
kyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Oh no doubt, a lot of conversions are simply for marriage. I'm sure a lot of Malays themselves just put on the act just enough not to arouse any suspicion too.

Yes I believe that, of all the Peranakan communities, the one in Malacca was more Malay and possibly had more Malay ancestry. My grandmother does look somewhat Malay in old photos, I think she kind of looks more Thai or something, but I am not sure if and how much Malay ancestry there is in the family. The culture is definitely a hybrid of Malay, Chinese and also some Western so it's a possibility that some communities might've embraced Islam more. I'm not sure where i read it, but i'm pretty sure i read that was the case, and that a lot of them also speak Malay at home.
Yeah some still speak Baba Malay, a dialect spoken by the Peranakans. However, its use is rapidly declining as most Peranakans only speak Hokkien and English as first language today. Speaking Malay doesn't mean the family is Muslim though. That's probably one of the more Malay cultural remnants that the early Malay ladies brought to the Chinese homes.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Yeah some still speak Baba Malay, a dialect spoken by the Peranakans. However, its use is rapidly declining as most Peranakans only speak Hokkien and English as first language today. Speaking Malay doesn't mean the family is Muslim though. That's probably one of the more Malay cultural remnants that the early Malay ladies brought to the Chinese homes.
Maybe I was mistaken, can't seem to find any reference to Muslim Peranakans in Malaysia, although I'm sure there were a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or