U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 01:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
yes...but those who came recently were recorded by the spanish as chinese

I swear you fil-ams and your 1/8th percentage...do you take pride in your 1/16th spanish like every other fil-am who thinks he is spanish
1/8th is distant enough to be forgotton or not cared about, but recent enough to affect phenotype. So there are people who are 1/8th of something, who look like that something, but dont care about that something. Maxene Magalona's grandma looks like she could be half Chinese

which would make Maxene 1/8th (assuming she doesnt have Chinese on her mom's side. Her mom looks Austronesian and Spanish)

She could actually pass in Spain, I've been there

So Maxene being just 1/8th Chinese could make her still look Chinese...

Old 01-19-2013, 01:11 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not too surprised if they would take pride in having European ancestry, no matter how minor, since it would make them feel more Western.

Contrast that to blacks who will deny their white ancestry.

But I think I'd give this person the benefit of the doubt.
there is some truth to their being a spanish prescence in the Philippines...but its very minor..even less then chinese

unless you look like this mestizo ...I have a hard time believing it

Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
1/8th is distant enough to be forgotton or not cared about, but recent enough to affect phenotype. So there are people who are 1/8th of something, who look like that something, but dont care about that something. Maxene Magalona's grandma looks like she could be half Chinese

which would make Maxene 1/8th (assuming she doesnt have Chinese on her mom's side. Her mom looks Austronesian and Spanish)

maxene's grandmother is like 1/4th chinese...so that would make maxene 1/16th chinese

Old 01-19-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=f...EorVkQXS4IDoBA

What do you guys think of Ferdinand Marcos? Wikipedia says he's part Chinese, but he could easily pass for Chinese. He actually looks like Cambodia's Pol Pot and quite a few Cambodians look like him. What ethnic group would he belong to? Wiki says he has 'Ilokano roots.'

Maybe some Austronesian groups just look more Chinese since they did come from China after all.
Since Ilocanos are at the North of the Philippines, they could have been the most recently settled region since groups tended to go further South as new groups came in from the North.

And that region is closest to China, so you'd expect them to look more similar to Chinese. They probably got the most Chinese visitors.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:14 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,247 times
Quote:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=f...EorVkQXS4IDoBA

What do you guys think of Ferdinand Marcos? Wikipedia says he's part Chinese, but he could easily pass for Chinese. He actually looks like Cambodia's Pol Pot and quite a few Cambodians look like him. What ethnic group would he belong to? Wiki says he has 'Ilokano roots.'

Maybe some Austronesian groups just look more Chinese since they did come from China after all.
Ferdinand Marcos is definitely part Chinese, rumors had been anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Since Ilocanos are at the North of the Philippines, they could have been the most recently settled region since groups tended to go further South as new groups came in from the North.

And that region is closest to China, so you'd expect them to look more similar to Chinese. They probably got the most Chinese visitors.
wrong....igorots have been in baguio for 2k years

older groups tended to move inland not southward

Old 01-19-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:

tamlyn tomita is 1/2 okinawan 1/4th japanese 1/4th filipina
if 1/8th is so strong then wouldnt 1/4th be even stronger...why doesnt she look filipina

Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
maxene's grandmother is like 1/4th chinese...so that would make maxene 1/16th chinese
So even someone who is 1/16th Chinese can pass as Chinese. Thanks for proving my point. Most people dont know or care if they're 1/16th of something, so they're not going to identify with it, and they're certainly not gonna tell you about it. There are probably plenty of 1/16th Chinese Visayans running around, and many look East Asian but they dont call themselves Chinese-Filipinos. Therefore, they are "ethic Visayans"

I dont see why this bothers you. You asked if the people in the pics could blend in in Southern China. People said yes. We can attribute that to the fact that Chinese visited the Visayas and of course had relations with locals. You want Chinese, you got it.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,345 times
[According to the Marcos family's oral history, the family name was originally Quidit, and their Ilokano roots have some Han Chinese and Japanese ancestry. Marcos said that his forefather was a "15th century Chinese pirate".] - Wikipedia

Assuming that his only Chinese ancestor is from the 15th century, it's amazing that the Chinese phenotype has been able to pass down to him even after 5 centuries.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Ferdinand Marcos is definitely part Chinese, rumors had been anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2.
My guess is at least 1/4.

Chinese Filipino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently 25% of Filipinos are Chinese mestizos.

This Chinese mestizo looks less Chinese than those people in the pics ejay has posted lmao. She could be part European too though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or