U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:20 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,327,091 times
Reputation: 129

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
So even someone who is 1/16th Chinese can pass as Chinese. Thanks for proving my point. Most people dont know or care if they're 1/16th of something, so they're not going to identify with it, and they're certainly not gonna tell you about it. There are probably plenty of 1/16th Chinese Visayans running around, and many look East Asian but they dont call themselves Chinese-Filipinos. Therefore, they are "ethic Visayans"

I dont see why this bothers you. You asked if the people in the pics could blend in in Southern China. People said yes. We can attribute that to the fact that Chinese visited the Visayas and of course had relations with locals. You want Chinese, you got it.
again people who are 1/16th chinese probably have it on record...how about the ones who look EA but dont have chinese under their ancestry records

 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 AM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,670,472 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
tamlyn tomita is 1/2 okinawan 1/4th japanese 1/4th filipina
if 1/8th is so strong then wouldnt 1/4th be even stronger...why doesnt she look filipina
Because Okinawans are also Japanese, and 3/4 Japanese > 1/4 Filipina, and she looks Japanese. Why are you even asking this question?
 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
[According to the Marcos family's oral history, the family name was originally Quidit, and their Ilokano roots have some Han Chinese and Japanese ancestry. Marcos said that his forefather was a "15th century Chinese pirate".] - Wikipedia

Assuming that his only Chinese ancestor is from the 15th century, it's amazing that the Chinese phenotype has been able to pass down to him even after 5 centuries.
My thoughts exactly. I wonder if he, like President Sukarno and Suharto of Indonesia, wanted to downplay his Chinese roots due to nationalism?
 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,327,091 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Because Okinawans are also Japanese, and 3/4 Japanese > 1/4 Filipina, and she looks Japanese. Why are you even asking this question?
dont you find it weird how 1/16th is attributed to looking chinese...yet 1/4th filipina cant even make an impact...hmmmmm
 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
wrong....igorots have been in baguio for 2k years

older groups tended to move inland not southward
Older groups moved Southward. That's how the Austronesian expansion happened. If they all moved inward, then nobody would get further South, eventually reaching the South Pacific. Older groups moved South, exploring new territory, then newer groups from further North were pushing in.

And 2K years is nothing, considering the Austronesian expansion into the Philippines started 4K years ago. 2K would have been one of the newer groups, and of course, they're in the North. And Igorot and Ilocano arent the same anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
again people who are 1/16th chinese probably have it on record...how about the ones who look EA but dont have chinese under their ancestry records
Yeah I'd love to see these records on ancestry that apparently every Filipino has access to and therefore can know their exact ancestry. Maybe you have access, that's why you know the ancestry of every person you post pics of.

Please give me a link to these records because I feel left out
 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 AM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,670,472 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I wonder if he, like President Sukarno and Suharto of Indonesia, wanted to downplay his Chinese roots due to nationalism?
Yes
 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,327,091 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Older groups moved Southward. That's how the Austronesian expansion happened. If they all moved inward, then nobody would get further South, eventually reaching the South Pacific. Older groups moved South, exploring new territory, then newer groups from further North were pushing in.

And 2K years is nothing, considering the Austronesian expansion into the Philippines started 4K years ago. 2K would have been one of the newer groups, and of course, they're in the North. And Igorot and Ilocano arent the same anyway.



Yeah I'd love to see these records on ancestry that apparently every Filipino has access to and therefore can know their exact ancestry. Maybe you have access, that's why you know the ancestry of every person you post pics of.

Please give me a link to these records because I feel left out
every townhall has records of the families living in it.....
 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:28 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Older groups moved Southward. That's how the Austronesian expansion happened. If they all moved inward, then nobody would get further South, eventually reaching the South Pacific. Older groups moved South, exploring new territory, then newer groups from further North were pushing in.

And 2K years is nothing, considering the Austronesian expansion into the Philippines started 4K years ago. 2K would have been one of the newer groups, and of course, they're in the North. And Igorot and Ilocano arent the same anyway.



Yeah I'd love to see these records on ancestry that apparently every Filipino has access to and therefore can know their exact ancestry. Maybe you have access, that's why you know the ancestry of every person you post pics of.

Please give me a link to these records because I feel left out
Yes I think the Filipinos of all ethnic groups are pretty mixed. Well, the ones that have had contact at least. It's silly to try to claim how genetically pure you are.
 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:29 AM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,670,472 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Older groups moved Southward. That's how the Austronesian expansion happened. If they all moved inward, then nobody would get further South, eventually reaching the South Pacific. Older groups moved South, exploring new territory, then newer groups from further North were pushing in.

And 2K years is nothing, considering the Austronesian expansion into the Philippines started 4K years ago. 2K would have been one of the newer groups, and of course, they're in the North. And Igorot and Ilocano arent the same anyway.



Yeah I'd love to see these records on ancestry that apparently every Filipino has access to and therefore can know their exact ancestry. Maybe you have access, that's why you know the ancestry of every person you post pics of.

Please give me a link to these records because I feel left out
I need a link too! Apparently, ejay1 knows more about someone who has shown me her family tree and called her a liar!
 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
tamlyn tomita is 1/2 okinawan 1/4th japanese 1/4th filipina
if 1/8th is so strong then wouldnt 1/4th be even stronger...why doesnt she look filipina
you act like her 1/4th Filipino cant possible include other things like Chinese. A person can say they are 100% Filipino and also be 1/4th Chinese. Filipino is a nationality and some people dont care about the percentages of whatever is mixed in.

And besides, everyone is different. Both Maxene and her brother are 1/16th Chinese, as you say, but one shows the Chinese ancestry, the other doesnt.






Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
every townhall has records of the families living in it.....
So I guess you work at town hall and that's how you know the ancestries of the people you post pics of...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top