U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
you act like her 1/4th Filipino cant possible include other things like Chinese. A person can say they are 100% Filipino and also be 1/4th Chinese. Filipino is a nationality and some people dont care about the percentages of whatever is mixed in.

And besides, everyone is different. Both Maxene and her brother are 1/16th Chinese, as you say, but one shows the Chinese ancestry, the other doesnt.

So I guess you work at town hall and that's how you know the ancestries of the people you post pics of...
Here here, Filipino is not a genetically 'pure' group. There's no such thing anyway.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes I think the Filipinos of all ethnic groups are pretty mixed. Well, the ones that have had contact at least. It's silly to try to claim how genetically pure you are.
look I do not deny that in the last 1000 years my ethnic group may have mixed with chinese

but looking a certain phenotype may have come from different situations...some visayans may look EA due to chinese admixture from their ancestry...some visayans may look EA due to bornean ancestry that most visayans have

but as far as I know there is no racial hiearchy in visayas like in southern luzon because plenty of ethnic visayans look EA...so there is no bad feelings towards chinese-visayans..due to a feeling of comfortability with them...if your a malay looking visayanguy...and your visayan sister looks EA...more then likely you wouldnt feel a chinese-visayan is an alien

though in manila you could see that the hybrid locals despise the chinese alot
maybe due to the fact that their is no feeling that the chinese belong in manila....they are aliens who are taking advantage of the poor manilenos...according to thier perspective

Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
you act like her 1/4th Filipino cant possible include other things like Chinese. A person can say they are 100% Filipino and also be 1/4th Chinese. Filipino is a nationality and some people dont care about the percentages of whatever is mixed in.

And besides, everyone is different. Both Maxene and her brother are 1/16th Chinese, as you say, but one shows the Chinese ancestry, the other doesnt.

So I guess you work at town hall and that's how you know the ancestries of the people you post pics of...
Filipino is a nationality..anyone can be filipino

just like anyone can be american

its one thing to claim an nationality...its another to claim an ethnic group.....can a full nigerian claim to be cherokee if he moves to the USA???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
look I do not deny that in the last 1000 years my ethnic group may have mixed with chinese

but looking a certain phenotype may have come from different situations...some visayans may look EA due to chinese admixture from their ancestry...some visayans may look EA due to bornean ancestry that most visayans have

but as far as I know there is no racial hiearchy in visayas like in southern luzon because plenty of ethnic visayans look EA...so there is no bad feelings towards chinese-visayans..due to a feeling of comfortability with them...if your a malay looking visayanguy...and your visayan sister looks EA...more then likely you wouldnt feel a chinese-visayan is an alien

though in manila you could see that the hybrid locals despise the chinese alot
maybe due to the fact that their is no feeling that the chinese belong in manila....they are aliens who are taking advantage of the poor manilenos...according to thier perspective
Is resentment against the Chinese widespread in the Philippines? Do the supposed 25% of mestizos like to boast or downplay any Chinese ancestry?

I have noticed the Dayaks and Javanese can look pretty EA. It's more in the eyes, though. I think it shows how related the Austronesians are to other Asians.

kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,345 times
Ok, I'll take some examples from Malaysia:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MJC_-n8Zzo...%2BFADZIR3.jpg

This local politician claims he IS a Malay. Does he look "Malay" to you?

(In actual fact, he is a Tamil Muslim (probably with some Malay ancestry, but that South Indian look predominates against the supposed Malay ancestry). Many Indian Muslims have converted en-masse to the Malay race for the bumiputra (indigenous) benefits and privileges.)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bc9R7FaRZM...hirmohamed.jpg

Mahathir Mohamed, former PM of Malaysia. His father was from Kerala, India. He was registered as "Indian" during his university days. However, he's become one of the most iconic symbols of Malay supremacy and nationalism. In the Malaysian registar, he probably registered himself as a Malay, since he claims so. And he does look Malay (and he almost never mentions about his Indian ancestry).

http://www.ytlcommunity.com.my/news_...sp?imgID=22616

Abdullah Badawi, former PM. His paternal grandfather was of Arab descent, while his maternal grandfather was a Utsul Muslim from Hainan, China. He identifies with the Malay race too.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 AM

Malays have such diverse looks. I think the idea of the 'Malay race' is a product of anti-colonial nationalism. Malays can look Chinese, to almost Australoid to Indian-Arab, possibly depending on how mixed they are with other groups. There definitely seems some overlap between Chinese and Malays. Muslim Indians tend to cluster with Malays more so than the Hindu Tamils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is resentment against the Chinese widespread in the Philippines? Do the supposed 25% of mestizos like to boast or downplay any Chinese ancestry?

I have noticed the Dayaks and Javanese can look pretty EA. It's more in the eyes, though. I think it shows how related the Austronesians are to other Asians.
in Manila they are proud of it....though also stick with each other when choosing housing subdivisions
you can find them in the classier areas of Makati

they are much low key in other areas of the Philippines..they probably come out whenever there is a chinese new year....but the ones in Iloilo do a good job of blending in...

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Quote:
Filipino is a nationality..anyone can be filipino

just like anyone can be american

its one thing to claim an nationality...its another to claim an ethnic group.....can a full nigerian claim to be cherokee if he moves to the USA???
You're proving my point. You said the woman was 1/4th Filipino. Since it's a nationality, that 1/4th Filipino can actually included various ancestries.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Quote:
in Manila they are proud of it....though also stick with each other when choosing housing subdivisions

they are much low key in other areas of the Philippines..they probably come out whenever there is a chinese new year....but the ones in Iloilo do a good job of blending in
yeah, they're so low key that they dont tell you that they have Chinese ancestry, so you call them "ethinc Visayans" Yes, they're every bit as Visayan as you are, but don't claim that they cant possibly have Chinese ancestry, especially when they look like they do.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:

they are much low key in other areas of the Philippines..they probably come out whenever there is a chinese new year....but the ones in Iloilo do a good job of blending in...
How many Chinese Filipinos can speak a Chinese language? I imagine the majority speak Tagalog or a Filipino language as their main one, but may speak another language as well? How many don't know any Chinese language?

I find it in interesting how the Chinese in some Asian countries haven't integrated as much compared to Western countries. The Philippines seems better than Malaysia in this respect though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or