U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
even manny pacquiao could be a little pale sometimes...and he is moro
Manny Pacquiao is not Moro! He is Cebuano-speaking and was born Catholic, therefore Visayan!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Manny Pacquiao is not Moro! He is Cebuano-speaking and was born Catholic, therefore Visayan!
yeah and his brother looks like this

would never pass anywhere in Mainland Asia

Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,425 times
Quote:
he keeps switching relgions...he is not even catholic anymore....well Cebuano is the major language in mindanao....even moros learn how to speak it

Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
considering Ainu a close neighbor look psuedo white...I dont see how a taiwanese aborignal couldnt look the same...since taiwan is pretty diverse in itself

and Philipines has the least amount of chinese in all of SEAsia...only 1 million compared to 15 million in thailand

its not presumptuous because I have been to visayas many times...Im from there

Smtchll only knows what he sees in google...

btw those 3 guys are what alot of visayans look like....just like the ones who you thought were chinese....so its really presumptuous to claim anyone is chinese just by looking at them
Actually, your credibility is in serious doubt. We agree that there are Visayans that can look East Asian, but they are by no means the majority. Have you been to Manila? A lot of us who had been there disagree that most Manileños look Melanesian. And you have to post a photo of a tribal woman, a group of Aetas and a 100-year old photo to justify your claims, despite Metro Manila having 12 million people now!

The family members of Francis M are already considered Manileños, having been born there and grew up there. And you yourself said that some of them look East Asian, and no one there looked Melanesian. They may have some Visayan and Kapampangan ancestry, but they are Tagalog-speaking Manileños now. Many Filipinos migrated to Manila, be they lower or upper class, and they do not look that much different from the rest of the country.

I know you don't like the people in Manila, and neither do I! But their arrogance does not make them darker

Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
Quote:
why would the Spanish of all people exagerate the skin color of filipinos
the spanish did depict darker skinned peoples in zambales luzon as well

again looking east asian doesnt mean=chinese

again over 1000 years...the Philippine identity wasnt even cultivated yet
Ok, if you care about the Spaniards opinions and how they define you, then why did the Spanish call Filipinos "indios" instead of "chinos" If the first Filipinos they met in the Visayas looked more East Asian, then the Spanish would have called them "chinos" rather than "indios"

Quote:
I think maybe you didnt hear me...in Visayas its normal to have siblings who dont look like each other phenotype wise...who knows if one of those kids may have a relative or sibling who looks EA or not
So you're trying to tell me that East Asian look is common in the Visayas, and that all those kids probably have an East Asian-looking sibling at home. It just so happens that the non-East Asian-looking kids in each family are in the grade level that the pics are from, while all the East Asian-looking siblings of each family happen to not be in that grade level, therefore, they're not in the pics. Makes sense

If you know that most Visayans look like the kids in those pics then why have you never posted a pic of someone who looks like them. Dont give me the, "I post pics of light skin Visayans who look just like them in the face" Well why do they have to be light skin when the majority of Visayans aren't that color.

Quote:
I am well aware of the prescence of chinese in iloilo

again I am not even talking about the chinese in panay...I am talking about ethnic visayans who look EA

you see I dont post chinese upperclass manilenos like you to prove my theory

anyways this is a chinese-visayan

this is a ethnic visayan who happens to look psuedo east asian
You dont know who is ethnic Visayan and who is a Visayan who has Chinese ancestry. For one, most people dont know their damn selves about their family history from 3 generations back. White people, yes, because they can go on ancestry.com and find stuff about themselves. Filipino family records don't show up. So people dont know, or care if their great great great grandfather was Chinese. I only know as far back as my great grandfather. That's it. So dont act like you can know about other people's family history when they probably dont know themselves. Or maybe they do know that they have some Chinese ancestry but just because they dont share that with the world doesn't mean they dont have it

Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yeah and his brother looks like this

would never pass anywhere in Mainland Asia
actually he looks similar to those bargirls from northern issan thailand

Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
he keeps switching relgions...he is not even catholic anymore....well Cebuano is the major language in mindanao....even moros learn how to speak it
He converted to being Protestant, so still not Moro! Only people like Tausugs, Maranaws, Maguindanaos or ethnic groups who are Muslim-majority are called Moro, and that is not even politically correct! Where do you get the facts you post?

Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Ok, if you care about the Spaniards opinions and how they define you, then why did the Spanish call Filipinos "indios" instead of "chinos" If the first Filipinos they met in the Visayas looked more East Asian, then the Spanish would have called them "chinos" rather than "indios"

So you're trying to tell me that East Asian look is common in the Visayas, and that all those kids probably have an East Asian-looking sibling at home. It just so happens that the non-East Asian-looking kids in each family are in the grade level that the pics are from, while all the East Asian-looking siblings of each family happen to not be in that grade level, therefore, they're not in the pics. Makes sense

If you know that most Visayans look like the kids in those pics then why have you never posted a pic of someone who looks like them. Dont give me the, "I post pics of light skin Visayans who look just like them in the face" Well why do they have to be light skin when the majority of Visayans aren't that color.

You dont know who is ethnic Visayan and who is a Visayan who has Chinese ancestry. For one, most people dont know their damn selves about their family history from 3 generations back. White people, yes, because they can go on ancestry.com and find stuff about themselves. Filipino family records don't show up. So people dont know, or care if their great great great grandfather was Chinese. I only know as far back as my great grandfather. That's it. So dont act like you can know about other people's family history when they probably dont know themselves.
again you chose 1 picture maybe thats y....who knos what you might find in other class pictures...but your already close minded to that idea ..because you cant accept that, maybe due to luzon pride??....EA is not more then malay phenotype....but its hella alot more common then say in bicol or manila..again what is it with you and skin color

I know about the history of the region itself...I have asked and seen people in western visayas.....while you only use google to back up your claims

Old 01-19-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
He converted to being Protestant, so still not Moro! Only people like Tausugs, Maranaws, Maguindanaos or ethnic groups who are Muslim-majority are called Moro, and that is not even politically correct! Where do you get the facts you post?
tausug claimed pacquiao as one of their own...who am I to deny it

Old 01-19-2013, 12:35 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
why would the Spanish of all people exagerate the skin color of filipinos
the spanish did depict darker skinned peoples in zambales luzon as well

again looking east asian doesnt mean=chinese

again over 1000 years...the Philippine identity wasnt even cultivated yet
I can't speak for the Spanish, but again drawings aren't photographs. The picture of that pale woman shows darker skinned natives in the background so maybe she was exceptional, maybe some natives were pale but they were exceptional/royalty. There's also the possibility of some sort of skin-whitening going on.

Well if the Visayans who look EA are not Han Chinese, they were no doubt later settlers from the Chinese mainland (those who remained were Sinicized) who came later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or