U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
again you chose 1 picture maybe thats y....who knos what you might find in other class pictures...but your already close minded to that idea ..because you cant accept that, maybe due to luzon pride??....EA is not more then malay phenotype....but its hella alot more common then say in bicol or manila..again what is it with you and skin color

I know about the history of the region itself...I have asked and seen people in western visayas.....while you only use google to back up your claims
I chose 2 pics with many individuals in each, and I've chosen different pics every single time but you have some excuse about all of them. The pics you use have been used over and over again, on here and all over the internet.

And you have yet to show me a group pic of Manila people who look like Melanesians. It should be easy enough to find really quickly since you say that the typical Manila people look Melanesian...

Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,472 times
Quote:
tausug claimed pacquiao as one of their own...who am I to deny it
Unless Pacquiao admits that he himself is Tausug, who are you to start calling him Moro when just some random Tausug claims him as their own?

The same way, who are you to post random photos of Visayan people and claim they are Visayans without any Chinese blood? A lot of them do, they just haven't told you. And why should they?

Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,327,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I can't speak for the Spanish, but again drawings aren't photographs. The picture of that pale woman shows darker skinned natives in the background so maybe she was exceptional, maybe some natives were pale but they were exceptional/royalty. There's also the possibility of some sort of skin-whitening going on.

Well if the Visayans who look EA are not Han Chinese, they were no doubt later settlers from the Chinese mainland (those who remained were Sinicized) who came later.

lol skin whitening that far back did no exist

again if your going to claim those later settlers as chinese...we might as well claim southern chinese as part of indo-china and maritime asia people

Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Quote:
I am well aware of the prescence of chinese in iloilo

again I am not even talking about the chinese in panay...I am talking about ethnic visayans who look EA

you see I dont post chinese upperclass manilenos like you to prove my theory

anyways this is a chinese-visayan

this is a ethnic visayan who happens to look psuedo east asian

its easy to mistake the 2 sometimes...but culturally/socially they are kind of different but have some similarities
Visayans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Throughout centuries, Spaniards, Japanese, Chinese, and other groups have settled in Visayan cities like Bacolod, Cebu, Dumaguete, Tagbilaran, Iloilo, Ormoc and Mindanao cities like Cagayan de Oro and Davao. Many of them have intermarried with Visayans and their descendants have taken on Visayan as their primary language. Many highland Negritos have also been assimilated into mainstream Visayan society.

Ethnic group is mostly cultural-linguistic. Do you accept that significant number of the Visayan ethnic group has Chinese ancestry?

Old 01-19-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Unless Pacquiao admits that he himself is Tausug, who are you to start calling him Moro when just some random Tausug claims him as their own?

The same way, who are you to post random photos of Visayan people and claim they are Visayans without any Chinese blood? A lot of them do, they just haven't told you. And why should they?
nobody needs to say anything...because EA phenotype is part of the visayan scope that there would be no need to ask...again in southern luzon where everyone looks remontado of course chinese looking people would be out of place there...and they are recognized as chinese

Old 01-19-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
lol skin whitening that far back did no exist

again if your going to claim those later settlers as chinese...we might as well claim southern chinese as part of indo-china and maritime asia people
Cultural-linguistic groups take precedence and don't always correspond to genetic clustering. Culturally the Southern Chinese are Sinitic but retain Austronesian features, so they do have commonalities with many SE Asians. I'm not claiming those Visayans ARE Chinese, so that's a strawman argument.

BTW I personally consider most of the Chinese Thais ethnically Thai now, not ethnically Han.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Visayans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Throughout centuries, Spaniards, Japanese, Chinese, and other groups have settled in Visayan cities like Bacolod, Cebu, Dumaguete, Tagbilaran, Iloilo, Ormoc and Mindanao cities like Cagayan de Oro and Davao. Many of them have intermarried with Visayans and their descendants have taken on Visayan as their primary language. Many highland Negritos have also been assimilated into mainstream Visayan society.

Ethnic group is mostly cultural-linguistic. Do you accept that significant number of the Visayan ethnic group has Chinese ancestry?
I accept that prescence of chinese in visayas...though I do not accept that any visayan who looks EA is going to be chinese

Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I accept that prescence of chinese in visayas...though I do not accept that any visayan who looks EA is going to be chinese
No, you misunderstand me. They identify as ethnic Visayans but they just have some Chinese ancestry. I don't know about those who still identify as Chinese. Just like the Thais with Chinese ancestry who identify as Thai. I think that it's silly since most Tai are from China anyway so most Thais have Chinese ancestry. If one goes far enough most Filipinos will have Chinese ancestry.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
No, you misunderstand me. They identify as ethnic Visayans but they just have some Chinese ancestry. I don't know about those who still identify as Chinese. Just like the Thais with Chinese ancestry who identify as Thai.
identifying as visayan is not same as national identification....identification of visayan is meaning you are visayan(by blood/ancestry/culture) through and through

you can be filipino and be of any race...but visayan has a history.....a culture....a way of life that has been cultivated over centuries...it is an identity we carry with us where ever we go

if a visayan woman marries outside...their children would be half visayan...and learn about being visayan before they learn anything about being filipino

my cousin lived overseas with other filipinos...but he didnt date or marry any of them...he went back home to the Philippines and married a visayan woman from his hometown...that is how strong it means to be visayan

do not connect being visayan as the same with being thai

thai chinese flew the chinese flag in bangkok during the olympics

Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
identifying as visayan is not same as national identification....identification of visayan is meaning you are visayan(by blood/ancestry/culture) through and through

you can be filipino and be of any race...but visayan has a history.....a culture....a way of life that has been cultivated over centuries...it is an identity we carry with us where ever we go

if a visayan woman marries outside...their children would be half visayan...and learn about being visayan before they learn anything about being filipino

my cousin lived overseas with other filipinos...but he didnt date or marry any of them...he went back home to the Philippines and married a visayan woman from his hometown...that is how strong it means to be visayan
Yes, and and among them is mixed Chinese, Negrito, Japanese and Spanish blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or