Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,979,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
And how would you know that?
because Im from the same place she is....there are alot of chinese looking people there who are not chinese
her family seems to have both malay and EA phenotypes ...which is not uncommon in visayas

would you give the same consideration to these guys?? would you think they were chinese?? of course not....you really dont know the demographics of the region to be talking such BS

Last edited by ejay1; 01-19-2013 at 12:10 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 12:07 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
because Im from the same place she is....there are alot of chinese looking people there who are not chinese

would you give the same consideration to these guys?? would you think they were chinese?? of course not....you really dont know the demographics of the region to be talking such BS
They could quite easily pass for Southern Chinese...

Filipino has a long history of Chinese migration, I think it's presumptuous to claim that these people are not Chinese unless you know them personally, just by going with photos.

There are Taiwanese aborigines in Taiwan, or Australian aborigines here who look white who claim they are totally aboriginal, but of course everyone puts up a pretense because they know that's not true.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
They could quite easily pass for Southern Chinese...

Filipino has a long history of Chinese migration, I think it's presumptuous to claim that these people are not Chinese unless you know them personally, just by going with photos.

There are Taiwanese aborigines in Taiwan, or Australian aborigines here who look white who claim they are totally aboriginal, but of course everyone puts up a pretense because they know that's not true.
considering Ainu a close neighbor look psuedo white...I dont see how a taiwanese aborignal couldnt look the same...since taiwan is pretty diverse in itself

and Philipines has the least amount of chinese in all of SEAsia...only 1 million compared to 15 million in thailand

its not presumptuous because I have been to visayas many times...Im from there

Smtchll only knows what he sees in google...

btw those 3 guys are what alot of visayans look like....just like the ones who you thought were chinese....so its really presumptuous to claim anyone is chinese just by looking at them

Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
considering Ainu a close neighbor look psuedo white...I dont see how a taiwanese aborignal couldnt look the same...since taiwan is pretty diverse in itself

and Philipines has the least amount of chinese in all of SEAsia...only 1 million compared to 15 million in thailand

its not pretensious because I have been to visayas many times...Im from there

Smtchll only knows what he sees in google...

btw those 3 guys are what alot of visayans look like....just like the ones who you thought were chinese....so its really pretensious to claim anyone is chinese just by looking at them
Ainu do not look psuedo- white. How many Ainu's have you seen? If anything the man on the left almost looks Australian aborigine, although of course there's no relation.

Philippines might have the lowest self-reported number of Chinese (who are 'full' Chinese) but like the Taiwanese aborigines, the number with some Chinese blood is probably a lot, lot higher. Of the Taiwanese aborigines I've met I'd estimate a good 70% have some Chinese ancestry.

I said they could pass for a lot of Southern Chinese in places like Singapore. I know genetics, and some Austronesians can look northern Mongoloid/Sinid, but not to that extent. The thing that gets me most is the pale skin. Unless they are doing a lot of skin bleaching, Austronesians do not have that skin tone.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Ainu do not look psuedo- white. How many Ainu's have you seen? If anything the man on the left almost looks Australian aborigine, although of course there's no relation.

Philippines might have the lowest self-reported number of Chinese (who are 'full' Chinese) but like the Taiwanese aborigines, the number with some Chinese blood is probably a lot, lot higher. Of the Taiwanese aborigines I've met I'd estimate a good 70% have some Chinese ancestry.

I said they could pass for a lot of Southern Chinese in places like Singapore. I know genetics, and some Austronesians can look northern Mongoloid/Sinid, but not to that extent. The thing that gets me most is the pale skin. Unless they are doing a lot of skin bleaching, Austronesians do not have that skin tone.
mixing happened with chinese from 900-1000 years ago is gonna count for chinese?? I think not

with that same thinking southern chinese would count as SEAsian because southern chinese mixed with SEA ancestors who lived in coastal southern china before the han settled there

lol how would you know it wouldnt get to that extent?? there are alot of austronesians in borneo and visayas...even indonesia who could get EA in phenotype

this is a picture describing some visayans by the spanish when they first landed here...guess what their skin tone is

even manny pacquiao could be a little pale sometimes...and he is moro

the lightest a visayan-austronesian can get

Last edited by ejay1; 01-19-2013 at 12:51 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 AM

Well I didn't say they had to identify as Chinese, just that there appeared to be significant Chinese admixture in there. There are pictures depicting Lord Krishna with bluish-porcelain skin:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=l...LY2YkgWPj4DYBQ

Obviously, pictures don't always match reality, often idealised forms. Many old Chinese and Japanese paintings depict porcelain white ladies, but few have literally white skin. It was no doubt an exaggeration of a lighter-skinned ideal.

Pacquiao looks like me, actually, and my ancestry is mostly from Southern China (the latest on my mothers side being 100 years ago via Singapore, on my father's side a lot longer ago)...he probably has some Chinese ancestry but I can't say for sure. There's been a movement of people from the Asian mainland to the Philippines for millenia, so no doubt the later settlers/colonists looked closer to the Chinese, as the Chinese Dynasties consolidated their hold over Southern China.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Well I didn't say they had to identify as Chinese, just that there appeared to be significant Chinese admixture in there. There are pictures depicting Lord Krishna with bluish-porcelain skin:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=l...LY2YkgWPj4DYBQ

Obviously, pictures don't always match reality, often idealised forms. Many old Chinese and Japanese paintings depict porcelain white ladies, but few have literally white skin. It was no doubt an exaggeration of a lighter-skinned ideal.

Pacquiao looks like me, actually, and my ancestry is mostly from Southern China (the latest on my mothers side being 100 years ago via Singapore, on my father's side a lot longer ago)...he probably has some Chinese ancestry but I can't say for sure. There's been a movement of people from the Asian mainland to the Philippines for millenia, so no doubt the later settlers/colonists looked closer to the Chinese, as the Chinese Dynasties consolidated their hold over Southern China.
why would the Spanish of all people exagerate the skin color of filipinos
the spanish did depict darker skinned peoples in zambales luzon as well

again looking east asian doesnt mean=chinese

again over 1000 years...the Philippine identity wasnt even cultivated yet

Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,688,315 times
Quote:
the western visayan pic you posted is actually eastern visayan..not like it matters since you always seem to mix things up

lol and what is cherry picking doing for you?? ...posting chinese-filipino upperclass rich people to prove that native manilenos dont look melanesian hybrid??

LOL in visayas you have siblings where one does not look chinese at all and the other one does

which would be impossible in manila....due to the fact that many of them are actually melanesian hybrids
Yeah you're right. It's switched around. The top pic is Leyte, the bottom is Panay. But notice how they dont look East Asian. How do you explain that? And why do you always post pics of people who look East Asian when you know that most people look like the kids in those pics

And you havent posted any group pics of people from Manila who look Melanesian. I've never seen a black person in Manila, besides foreigners

There has been Chinese influence in Panay for a long time. Read
Traditional Chinese influences on Ilonggo life

Quote:
As one can see, the Chinese had made a permanent imprint in the culture and history of the Ilonggos. Many Ilonggo families today can even trace their ancestry to the early Chinese traders and artisans who, for love of Iloilo and its beautiful women, decided to settle down permanently in the area, engaged in trade and agriculture, raised children and grandchildren, and passed on their legacies to the succeeding generations.
It's like that in a lot of the Philippines, especially bigger cities like Iloilo

Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yeah you're right. It's switched around. The top pic is Leyte, the bottom is Panay. But notice how they dont look East Asian. How do you explain that? And why do you always post pics of people who look East Asian when you know that most people look like the kids in those pics

And you havent posted any group pics of people from Manila who look Melanesian. I've never seen a black person in Manila, besides foreigners
I think maybe you didnt hear me...in Visayas its normal to have siblings who dont look like each other phenotype wise...who knows if one of those kids may have a relative or sibling who looks EA or not

Old 01-19-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

There has been Chinese influence in Panay for a long time. Read
Traditional Chinese influences on Ilonggo life

It's like that in a lot of the Philippines, especially bigger cities like Iloilo
I am well aware of the prescence of chinese in iloilo

again I am not even talking about the chinese in panay...I am talking about ethnic visayans who look EA

you see I dont post chinese upperclass manilenos like you to prove my theory

anyways this is a chinese-visayan

this is a ethnic visayan who happens to look psuedo east asian

its easy to mistake the 2 sometimes...but culturally/socially they are kind of different but have some similarities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia