U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Beijing 6 21.43%
Seoul 22 78.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,873,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Both cities are probably a lot more exciting than 20 years ago, although I just feel Beijing has more of interest to me. Seoul is too much about technology.etc.

That is why I love Seoul. It is hard for me to see how people feel it is boring. Soooo much to do, see and its more of a 24hr city then most other cities that are considered 24hr.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,269,683 times
Seoul for sure, so much to do and see and the city doesn't sleep. I just got back from Beijing yesterday from a visit to see a friend and we stayed in 2 out of the 4 days. visibility was poor and we had to wear masks... the World Health Org put out a health hazard warning, something about 750 particles per something in the air and the maximum for safety is 500 particles.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 AM

18,507 posts, read 9,567,372 times
Quote:
Which of these two cities do you prefer and why?

You can compare the two cities along these main criteria (I haven't been to Seoul but I'll give my perceptions):

1. Geography: Seoul wins. It's hillier and seems greener, while Beijing is in the middle of a flat plain.

2. Climate: Close one here. Beijing's winters actually are only marginally colder than Seoul's, while both cities have hot and humid summers. Maybe Seoul for the fact it gets more snow while Beijing in winter is dry. If you're going to get sub-zero winters might as well get snow. Then again Beijing gets more sunshine so on second thoughts it's a tie.

3. History: I don't know much about Korea, but Beijing, despite China's rapacious destruction of anything 'old', seems to have more historic buildings. Not just the well known ones like the Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven and Great Wall, but the hutongs.etc. Not that Korea is a slouch in this area. Beijing.

4. Food: I prefer Korean food to Beijing food so Seoul for me. Both cities boast a lot of restaurants and markets though.

5. Shopping: No idea, but probably Seoul for higher-end, although Beijing is catching up. Maybe Beijing for bargain shopping and traditional wares.

6. Architecture: Beijing is becoming more futuristic looking, but probably has an older, grittier feel overall than Seoul. Seoul has some nice historic villages that seem like Japan (from what I see in movies), and overall looks cleaner and more futuristic but I pick Beijing.

7. Nightlife: Korea's pop music scene is famous but I hear Beijing has it's own local rock scene. Beijing is famous for it's bars/clubs, but Seoul is no slouch and seems a very 24/7 city. Can't call this one.

8. Attractions: Beijing. I find Chinese culture more interesting, and Beijing just has more attractions.

9. Transport: Seoul's Subway is probably is supposed to be the best in Asia so I'd pick that one.

10. People: I think Beijingers are portrayed as gruff and down to earth. Koreans I've met are friendly but Seoul probably has the least friendly and most urbane Koreans. My aunty has been to Korea, actually, and said she found Koreans in the street sort of standoffish. Did you find this true? Can't say.

Overall Beijing seems like a more interesting city, even though I've not been to Seoul. To be honest, I've never felt a great full towards Korea or Seoul, although with the rise of South Korea I'd be curious to see what it's like. It's probably one of the most hi-tech cities in the world at the moment as well, as well as a huge megapolis.

I lived and worked in Beijing and Seoul and I preferred Beijing because the people were more friendly and open and it was much less expensive. Seoul is a very modern and efficient city and the food there is better than Beijing by a wide margin imo. If you have your family with you, your wife and children might prefer Seoul for its greater efficeincy, luxury, and less smog. I found the Koreans to be very standoffish compared to the Chinese...if you're not Korean, you'll always be an outsider.

The climates are similar but I would give Seouil a bit of an edge because it seemed less hot/humid in the summer.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:55 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,880,681 times
thought this was a nice time lapse of Seoul..

Old 02-14-2013, 06:59 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I lived and worked in Beijing and Seoul and I preferred Beijing because the people were more friendly and open and it was much less expensive. Seoul is a very modern and efficient city and the food there is better than Beijing by a wide margin imo. If you have your family with you, your wife and children might prefer Seoul for its greater efficeincy, luxury, and less smog. I found the Koreans to be very standoffish compared to the Chinese...if you're not Korean, you'll always be an outsider.

The climates are similar but I would give Seouil a bit of an edge because it seemed less hot/humid in the summer.
I seem to hear contradictory things about Koreans. That they're friendly/non-friendly, standoffish/overtly extroverted. The ones I've met here seem friendly and extroverted, though I imagine actually visiting is another story.

Also heard mixed opinions of Beijing people. I've been to Beijing, but only for about 3 days and I didn't interract much with the locals.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
I seem to hear contradictory things about Koreans. That they're friendly/non-friendly, standoffish/overtly extroverted. The ones I've met here seem friendly and extroverted, though I imagine actually visiting is another story.
Actually those contradictory things are all true though.

They are super friendly. But, at the same time, they can come off as extremely rude.

Also, generally, I've LOVED Korean people that I meet in other countries. They are just kind, very down-to-earth, honest, etc.

But, in Korea, you're dealing with a whole other thing as well. There is a nationalistic Korea that can be quite tiring and that wears you down if you live in Korea. If you just visit Korea though, you might really like it.

Korea is an experience. If you love it, it's always a hate/love experience. Mostly because it's just so in-your-face all the time. It's not a relaxing place, by any means.

Anyways, you'll continue to hear contradictory things about Korea, because it's so contradictory itself. With a visit though, it'll all make sense.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,873,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

They are super friendly. But, at the same time, they can come off as extremely rude.

Also, generally, I've LOVED Korean people that I meet in other countries. They are just kind, very down-to-earth, honest, etc.

But, in Korea, you're dealing with a whole other thing as well. There is a nationalistic Korea that can be quite tiring and that wears you down if you live in Korea. If you just visit Korea though, you might really like it.

Korea is an experience. If you love it, it's always a hate/love experience. Mostly because it's just so in-your-face all the time. It's not a relaxing place, by any means.

Anyways, you'll continue to hear contradictory things about Korea, because it's so contradictory itself. With a visit though, it'll all make sense.

That last part is so true. Once you are off the plane it starts to make sense.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:02 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,602,936 times
Seoul has higher living standards than Beijing and thus is "more westernized" in a sense. The natural environment is also better than Beijing.

Beijing is one of the oldest cities in the world with many historical sites. China is one of the most powerful, the most influential countries/markets in the whole world too. There are much more opportunities. But Beijing is also more third-worldish than Seoul in many aspects. Weather is a little worse too.

If you are rich, you can live like a king anywhere. As an English teacher, probably Seoul is your safer bet, unless you speak Chinese or you are interested in Chinese culture in particular.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Yes you can't judge a nationality by the people you meet. Travellers, at least independent travellers, tend to be a different breed. More curious, open, friendly. The most xenophobic people tend to stay home. I tell people that about Australians, we're just ordinary people, not everyone is like the Aussie tourist you met (good or bad).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia