U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,326,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I like to say that Manila is a bad ambassador for the Philippines.

What is the best largeish city in the Philippines IYO?
Cebu and Davao

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
svedski is right....I feel safer walking the streets of DC compared to walking in Manila where people get killed for a cellphone

that said...people do not generalize all of the Philippines just because of Manila....Manila is more like a gangreen infected leg...or a cancer connected to the Philippines....once you seperate this cancer the rest of the country is rather delightful
That's why Manila's homicide rate is much much lower than D.C.'s. No reason to be scared, you're just paranoid

Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 AM

30 posts, read 115,947 times
I don't think so

Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM

22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
well its not that...its just manila is a crap hole..money goes into it like a black hole

Visayas and Mindanao are vastly undeveloped to it because none of the taxes that visayans and mindanaoans pay never make it back to helping visayas and mindanao

Usually projects done in visayas and mindanao come from the local regional govt

given that I would rather live in visayas then ****hole manila
I would think that the history of corrupt politicians, mismanagement and embezzling has a lot more to do with the money pit than anything. It's not as if the politicians really did the people of Manila any huge favors either. And really, the massive population growth is a huge factor and it's been seen from developing country to developing country that when the growth hits a quick deceleration that things start working out for the better--though a lot of developed countries are now seeing what happens in the aftermath of continued low birthrate and to be honest, it doesn't look all that bad.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM

391 posts, read 573,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
That's why Manila's homicide rate is much much lower than D.C.'s. No reason to be scared, you're just paranoid
You should not trust any statistic that has come out of the Phils, ever.
I know a swedish guy who has murdered lots of people there and since he knows the major in the town he lives in (he pretty much got him elected), none of the murders counts. The bodies will just dissapear with the help from the Police.

I was asked if I wanted to murder last time I was there. For 50,000 Pesos they would provide me with a living body,
and remove it from my hands once I was done.
True story.

Motorbike robbers shoot and kills taxi drivers and their passangers for 500 pesos and drives away like nothing.
D.C. or any other US city ain't nothing to Manila. I mean just look around, they got guards in every store (even McDonalds) with AK-47s and Uzi's ready to kill.

Last edited by svedski; 02-12-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
You should not trust any statistic that has come out of the Phils, ever.
I know a swedish guy who has murdered lots of people there and since he knows the major in the town he lives in (he pretty much got him elected), none of the murders counts. The bodies will just dissapear with the help from the Police.

I was asked if I wanted to murder last time I was there. For 50,000 Pesos they would provide me with a living body,
and remove it from my hands once I was done.
True story.

Motorbike robbers shoot and kills taxi drivers and their passangers for 500 pesos and drives away like nothing.
D.C. or any other US city ain't nothing to Manila. I mean just look around, they got guards in every store (even McDonalds) with AK-47s and Uzi's ready to kill.
I live in Memphis and it feels much more dangerous than Manila. I've been many times, to the worst areas like Tondo

Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 AM

391 posts, read 573,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I live in Memphis and it feels much more dangerous than Manila. I've been many times, to the worst areas like Tondo
Ok. But how something feels is always subjective.
What is scary to you might not be to me, and vice versa.

Depends on how you look, but if you're white like me, you stand out a whole lot more in the Philippines than in Memhpis. In Memphis I could probably walk around for 20 years without anybody bothering me, in Manila it would take 5 minutes until 10 people stand and point fingers at me.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,892 times
Quote:
Shortly after WWII it was predicted that Burma and Philippines would be the leading economies in the region. Decades of corruption and civil unrest, however, ensured that that was never to be. The Philippines, especially, never seemed to reach it's potential, both as an economic power and a tourist destination. I know very little about Filipino history/culture, but I'm curious, if it had followed Thailand's path, do you think Manila would be like Bangkok? By this I mean as economically powerful, internationally well-known, and visited by tourists. This would also include Bangkok and Thailand's notorious sex industry. I know the Philippines still has this, but to a lesser extent.

Or do you think that Filipino culture just seems less interesting, maybe less Asian, than Thai culture? The fact it's mostly Catholic, the food isn't as tasty, the architecture less Asian, would make Manila kind of overlooked anyway?
If history had gone differently that WWII never happened I guess we will still preserved a lot of buildings, railways & not just the one in Manila but also those from the province and other things.

Escolta Manila early 1900's with those calesa are actually nice.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
^I like Calesa more because it's free from Pollution

Escolta Manila in 1940's

The Business district before

Manila in 1940's before WWII

Taft Avenue Manila

Last edited by pinai; 05-05-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,850,272 times
Quote:
Shortly after WWII it was predicted that Burma and Philippines would be the leading economies in the region. Decades of corruption and civil unrest, however, ensured that that was never to be. The Philippines, especially, never seemed to reach it's potential, both as an economic power and a tourist destination. I know very little about Filipino history/culture, but I'm curious, if it had followed Thailand's path, do you think Manila would be like Bangkok? By this I mean as economically powerful, internationally well-known, and visited by tourists. This would also include Bangkok and Thailand's notorious sex industry. I know the Philippines still has this, but to a lesser extent.

Or do you think that Filipino culture just seems less interesting, maybe less Asian, than Thai culture? The fact it's mostly Catholic, the food isn't as tasty, the architecture less Asian, would make Manila kind of overlooked anyway?
First, it is not promoted so well. The Department of Tourism should do more effort in promoting the Philippines not just in America but also in Europe. When I was still living in Europe , I noticed the travelling agencies donot have promotions for the Philippines but so many for Thailand, Vietnam etc. So I think the Philippines should also try to reach out to the European market who are also the biggest travellers in the world.
Even in the Philippines, the Department of Tourism doesn't really do much in promoting the Philippine culture to the toutists. I think they should also do something that would show Philippine culture like ( Philippine dance ) in some parts of the country especially in touristical places. In some places in Europe they do such things so tourists get to see their culture.

Philippines doesn't really have so much to show in terms of culture because it is so western compare to the other Asian countries. However, if one would want to see a real blend of the East and the West, it will be the Philippines. 333 years of Spanish colonization + 40 years of American occupation made Philippines more Western and different compare to it's Asian neighbours. Philippines is the only country in Asia that has a notable Spanish influence in culture, religion and language. It is quite sad that there should be more Spanish style buildings in the Philippines if the country was not bombed by the Japanese in WW2 and the Americans didn't even bother to build them again.

I don't think religion is one of the factors, I even think it is an edge because it is easier for Western tourists because of Filipinos being Christians.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 05-05-2013 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 11:33 PM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,883,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
And lets take a look at China... I think if the Communists didn't take over it, Shanghai would have been on the same level as Tokyo and New York today.
Most definitely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia