U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,978,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
First, it is not promoted so well. The Department of Tourism should do more effort in promoting the Philippines not just in America but also in Europe. When I was still living in Europe , I noticed the travelling agencies donot have promotions for the Philippines but so many for Thailand, Vietnam etc. So I think the Philippines should also try to reach out to the European market who are also the biggest travellers in the world.
Even in the Philippines, the Department of Tourism doesn't really do much in promoting the Philippine culture to the toutists. I think they should also do something that would show Philippine culture like ( Philippine dance ) in some parts of the country especially in touristical places. In some places in Europe they do such things so tourists get to see their culture.

Philippines doesn't really have so much to show in terms of culture because it is so western compare to the other Asian countries. However, if one would want to see a real blend of the East and the West, it will be the Philippines. 333 years of Spanish colonization + 40 years of American occupation made Philippines more Western and different compare to it's Asian neighbours. Philippines is the only country in Asia that has a notable Spanish influence in culture, religion and language. It is quite sad that there should be more Spanish style buildings in the Philippines if the country was not bombed by the Japanese in WW2 and the Americans didn't even bother to build them again.

I don't think religion is one of the factors, I even think it is an edge because it is easier for Western tourists because of Filipinos being Christians.
Manila during 1938, 4yrs before the WWII

Manila, Queen of the Pacific 1938 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOI6rc38Qic
^A lot of the buildings was destroyed mostly from the American bomb actually.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:32 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,203,803 times
Pre-WWII Manila was a gem from the fragments I've seen. What a waste.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,978,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Pre-WWII Manila was a gem from the fragments I've seen. What a waste.
yeah. it was beautiful before

Manila ocupada / Occupied Manila - YouTube

Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,183,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Thailand actually overtook the Philippines around the 1980s in terms of development, so it's not that long ago. There are many factors why the Philippines stagnated while there was high economic growth in Thailand. It's difficult to say that history is the sole factor. Thailand became the world's largest exporter of rice while the Philippines became the world's largest importer of rice for some years despite the International Rice Research Institute being located in the Philippines. Both corruption and natural disasters (specially typhoons) are equally to blame for that.
Huks and Moro Islamic terrorism didn't help

Old 05-13-2013, 09:47 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,540,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Most definitely!
Give it time.

Btw excellent pics of Old Manila, could almost be Chicago or something!

I'm constantly amazed at how modern/advanced a lot of Asian cities looked back then.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:30 AM

154 posts, read 192,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Shortly after WWII it was predicted that Burma and Philippines would be the leading economies in the region. Decades of corruption and civil unrest, however, ensured that that was never to be. The Philippines, especially, never seemed to reach it's potential, both as an economic power and a tourist destination. I know very little about Filipino history/culture, but I'm curious, if it had followed Thailand's path, do you think Manila would be like Bangkok? By this I mean as economically powerful, internationally well-known, and visited by tourists. This would also include Bangkok and Thailand's notorious sex industry. I know the Philippines still has this, but to a lesser extent.

Or do you think that Filipino culture just seems less interesting, maybe less Asian, than Thai culture? The fact it's mostly Catholic, the food isn't as tasty, the architecture less Asian, would make Manila kind of overlooked anyway?
When I was in Manila I mostly eat Western food in shopping malls like fried chicken, pasta, pizza, burger, lasagna, etc because traditional native Filipino cuisine is so mediocre.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,264,091 times
Quote:
Shortly after WWII it was predicted that Burma and Philippines would be the leading economies in the region. Decades of corruption and civil unrest, however, ensured that that was never to be. The Philippines, especially, never seemed to reach it's potential, both as an economic power and a tourist destination. I know very little about Filipino history/culture, but I'm curious, if it had followed Thailand's path, do you think Manila would be like Bangkok? By this I mean as economically powerful, internationally well-known, and visited by tourists. This would also include Bangkok and Thailand's notorious sex industry. I know the Philippines still has this, but to a lesser extent.

Or do you think that Filipino culture just seems less interesting, maybe less Asian, than Thai culture? The fact it's mostly Catholic, the food isn't as tasty, the architecture less Asian, would make Manila kind of overlooked anyway?
As a person who visits the Philippines somewhat often, been there about 15 times.

The ISLANDS are gorgeous and beautiful, as is the culture and the people out on the Islands. It's unfortunate that everyone has to go through Manila, and it's worse that when people read about where to go in the Philippines, Angeles City is always quickly mentioned. That place is a dive, nothing but prostitutes. It makes the whole country look bad, as much of the rest isn't like that at all.

Manila has way too many problems in general, but has so much potential. #1 problem though is the way that Manila people treat foreigners. They assume everyone who is white, is rich and an ATM Machine. So you just get constant taxis trying to overcharge, street kids following you around, old tranvestites holloring to get your attention, and on and on. If someone the Manila govt could do some education programs or something to just have everyone 'back off' and stop trying to separate the money from the foreigner, everything would be easier. Actually Bangkok they also treat foreigners like ATM machines, but there is also a general respect that's missing in Manila. In Manila, you feel like you could get robbed easily if you go down the wrong alley or around the wrong corner. Whereas Bangkok, you dont get that feel at all.

Fortunately the rest of the Philippines is NOTHING like Manila, and people are very warm, kind, trustworthy and would give you the shirt off their back for you outside of Manila. But, unfortunately Manila is the big city and such, so it'll always be the first and last impression people taste of when they visit the Philippines.

The mass majority of people I know who visit the Phils, end up in Manila and Angeles, and then think the entire place is dangerous, sleazy, etc. It's unfortunate, as there is so much more to offer than that. But generally they walk away touting the entire country is a hellhole, and they'll never go back again.

But, the reality is there are 7000+ islands there, music is everywhere, and the rest of the country outside of Manila and AC is pretty damn fantastic. I guess in some ways, you could say its good and it preserves that 'frontier, undiscovered quality'. But, on the other hand, if you tell someone you've been to the Philippines 15 times, and only because you love island-hopping and such, they'll disbelieve you, and assume the worst of you!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:11 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,540,825 times
^ Air Asia, Tiger, Firefly, Cebu Pacific Air fly to numerous destinations in the Phils, I think at least 5 or 6 so Manila isn't the only gateway into the country.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 PM

15,956 posts, read 36,264,091 times
Quote:
^ Air Asia, Tiger, Firefly, Cebu Pacific Air fly to numerous destinations in the Phils, I think at least 5 or 6 so Manila isn't the only gateway into the country.
Those are all budget and relatively new, and more towards people already living in southeast Asia.

Most people, on a first trip, will probably assume Manila is a must, and try to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia