U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times

Advertisements

Shortly after WWII it was predicted that Burma and Philippines would be the leading economies in the region. Decades of corruption and civil unrest, however, ensured that that was never to be. The Philippines, especially, never seemed to reach it's potential, both as an economic power and a tourist destination. I know very little about Filipino history/culture, but I'm curious, if it had followed Thailand's path, do you think Manila would be like Bangkok? By this I mean as economically powerful, internationally well-known, and visited by tourists. This would also include Bangkok and Thailand's notorious sex industry. I know the Philippines still has this, but to a lesser extent.

Or do you think that Filipino culture just seems less interesting, maybe less Asian, than Thai culture? The fact it's mostly Catholic, the food isn't as tasty, the architecture less Asian, would make Manila kind of overlooked anyway?

Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,359 times
I think Manila would be more successful than Bangkok given its American legacy, a well-established link with the West, a high standard of English, and a more international appeal. Sadly, things don't always go as planned.

I personally find the Phils very interesting. We often deem HK or Singapore as a meeting point of East and West, but the Filipinos are a notch higher in that - their cultures, lifestyle, faith, language etc are a real fusion of Eastern and Western cultures. Not to mention its many islands, volcanoes, beaches, and tonnes of natural wonders.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
I think Manila would be more successful than Bangkok given its American legacy, a well-established link with the West, a high standard of English, and a more international appeal. Sadly, things don't always go as planned.

I personally find the Phils very interesting. We often deem HK or Singapore as a meeting point of East and West, but the Filipinos are a notch higher in that - their cultures, lifestyle, faith, language etc are a real fusion of Eastern and Western cultures. Not to mention its many islands, volcanoes, beaches, and tonnes of natural wonders.
Yeah I could see Manila actually becoming more like Singapore even, but maybe earthier. Filipinos are a bit more like a colonial people rather than the Thais who were never colonised. A lot of Filipinos can speak English, moreso than Thailand for sure, yet it's not visited by many non-Asian tourists. It definitely has a lot to offer.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 AM
kyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah I could see Manila actually becoming more like Singapore even, but maybe earthier. Filipinos are a bit more like a colonial people rather than the Thais who were never colonised. A lot of Filipinos can speak English, moreso than Thailand for sure, yet it's not visited by many non-Asian tourists. It definitely has a lot to offer.
The Filipinos had probably the highest standard of education in Asia before WW2. If that had continued, Philippines could be another Taiwan or Japan, who knows.

Even Phils are outside the tourist radar among Southeast Asians. Only a handful of my friends have been there, a far cry from the ever popular Bangkok Bali Singapore HK.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
The Filipinos had probably the highest standard of education in Asia before WW2. If that had continued, Philippines could be another Taiwan or Japan, who knows.

Even Phils are outside the tourist radar among Southeast Asians. Only a handful of my friends have been there, a far cry from the ever popular Bangkok Bali Singapore HK.
I see many flights to and from the Phils from Singapore, I assume mostly domestic workers though.

Yes, imagine the Phils becoming as advanced/developed as the Asian tigers. Manila could be totally different. I also think Jakarta, which is very much like Manila, could have also been like Singapore or KL but corruption ruined it too. Who knows, instead of Filipino maids working in Singapore and Malaysia, there would be wealthy Filipino families hiring maids from other countries.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:35 AM
kyh

And lets take a look at China... I think if the Communists didn't take over it, Shanghai would have been on the same level as Tokyo and New York today.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,326,592 times
Quote:

well at least Philippines has a high tourism from korea...we sort of have become the hawaii for koreans...similar to how japanese go to hawaii...cheaper...better beaches...only 4 hours away

Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 PM

22,149 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Quote:
And lets take a look at China... I think if the Communists didn't take over it, Shanghai would have been on the same level as Tokyo and New York today.
Though on the flip side of that is Hong Kong would likely not have become the hugely successful city it is today.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,994 times
Thailand actually overtook the Philippines around the 1980s in terms of development, so it's not that long ago. There are many factors why the Philippines stagnated while there was high economic growth in Thailand. It's difficult to say that history is the sole factor. Thailand became the world's largest exporter of rice while the Philippines became the world's largest importer of rice for some years despite the International Rice Research Institute being located in the Philippines. Both corruption and natural disasters (specially typhoons) are equally to blame for that.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
Well at least it looks like a big time city

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia