U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 PM

263 posts, read 817,936 times

Advertisements

If you had to, what would you consider on par with Europe (or better)

Singapore? Japan? South Korea? Thailand?

Just wondering since my less knowledgable area in countries is Asia, and my most is Europe. (Living here, I'd hope so.)

Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 PM

78,674 posts, read 70,531,500 times
Taipei, Taiwan.

Since I prefer smaller cities/towns, though, my personal favorite is Ulan Ude, Buryat Republic (Russ. Federation).
Go ahead, laugh. But for those Americans who have seen it, it's their favorite city in Russia. And Buryatia is very beautiful.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,416,860 times
I would say S.Korea and Taiwan are on par with Western European countries maybe slightly ahead in the urban areas,

Japan is the most developed/advanced country in the world and far ahead of everyone else, it's very nice there if you have enough money because it's one of the most if not the most expensive country in the world.
Same goes for Hong Kong one of the greatest countries to live in if your making 50k+ a year.

Unless you can get a huge contract at some company don't go to Singapore especially if your still under 40.

Thailand and Malaysia have very nice parts but it's still developing not on the level of the other Asian countries i mentioned but everything there is a lot cheaper.

All the other 1st World(-ish) countries in Asia are islamic like UAE, Qatar, Brunei.

I claim Israel as a European country!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:05 PM

82 posts, read 202,131 times
Singapore
With the salary that you make, you can spend it in Malaysia or Indonesia!
Easy access to Malaysia and cheap flights to Indonesia.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,416,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
Singapore
With the salary that you make, you can spend it in Malaysia or Indonesia!
Easy access to Malaysia and cheap flights to Indonesia.
I actually know a guy in his mid 30's living in Singapore for over 2 years now, he takes a plane to Phuket, Thailand (80 min. flight) almost every weekend.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,514 times
The five most developed are: Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan

It can be difficult to live in Japan, South Korea or Taiwan without speaking Japanese, Korean or Chinese

The places where you can live with just English are: Singapore, Philippines, Hong Kong, Malaysia

Thailand is lower than Malaysia in development, higher than the Philippines; can be a challenge to live there without knowing Thai though. Singapore and Hong Kong are highly urban and the challenge is how to afford the sky high rent even in the tiniest apartments.

You can check the Human Development Index to compare with various European countries.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:33 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Singapore is probably the easiest to adapt to: language, style of business, culture (more western), but personally Japan draws me the most. The big downsides would be the stressful work lifestyle and the fact English isn't spoken much, although on the other hand it might be a good thing making me learn Japanese to a high standard.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
If you had to, what would you consider on par with Europe (or better)

Singapore? Japan? South Korea? Thailand?

Just wondering since my less knowledgable area in countries is Asia, and my most is Europe. (Living here, I'd hope so.)
Not Thailand.

But definitely Singapore, Hong Kong, and Japan. These would be 'on par' with the best of Europe. I guess UK and Germany and Scandinia would be best of Europe?

I spent a year in Spain and a summer in Hungary. If you compared Asia to those parts of Europe, than a lot more opens up. Taiwan and South Korea would definitely be 'on par' or above Spain/Hungary.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not Thailand.

But definitely Singapore, Hong Kong, and Japan. These would be 'on par' with the best of Europe. I guess UK and Germany and Scandinia would be best of Europe?

I spent a year in Spain and a summer in Hungary. If you compared Asia to those parts of Europe, than a lot more opens up. Taiwan and South Korea would definitely be 'on par' or above Spain/Hungary.
How would you compare Malaysia with international countries? Especially say Latin America? Would you say it's better/worse than most Latin American nations?

Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How would you compare Malaysia with international countries? Especially say Latin America? Would you say it's better/worse than most Latin American nations?
I would say it's significantly better than most. South America has so many crime issues that can really drain on a person.

Economically though, Sao Paulo Brazil is a major powerhouse, and way more important and larger and more cosmopolitan than Kuala Lumpur. Buenos Aires probably is as well.

But, as a traveler who is more concerned with 'quality of life', Malaysia is way up there. I can find english books everywhere in Malaysia and a ton of international food everywhere.

There are chinese and japanese restaurants and such in South America, but Malaysia just seems to have everything as well.

In short, I'd prefer Malaysia for living over most of South America. But, I could certainly see some strong arguments for some of the major cities in Brazil, Argentina, and potentially Chile. (Although, to me, Chile is actually quite provincial, but some people state them higher due to economics).

Anyways, if I were a businessman on an expat salary, I'd probably take Sao Paulo. Since I'm not, and couldn't afford the security and such as an average person, I'd much prefer Malaysia. Rio de Janiero is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and so are the people. But, again, the crime issues and high cost of living issues, it would take a lot more money just to ensure your security.

With Malaysia, those wouldn't be issues at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or