U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times

Advertisements

Singapore has a larger area (than the urbanised part of HK and the NT) and feels more expansive to me.

I do agree that HK is probably a better/more interesting place to visit, and probably leaves a deeper impression than Singapore. Singapore's major draw is it's food and diversity. Singapore markets itself on those sort of theme park type attractions, less so on it as a place in itself.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:20 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,542,092 times
^^I actually prefer Singapore to HK, as you said it has a more diverse range of cultures and great food, Hong Kong is more monocultural and their command of English is not that good, the air pollution even during the rainy season can be pretty bad in HK as well. That said HK has a somewhat larger population confined to a much smaller area of developed land so it's more spectacular as a city and has more interesting natural topography.

Singapore does seem a little more sanitised and regulated than HK, but I actually kind of prefer this and neither are anywhere near as sterile as Australian cities.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 AM

^ Yeah i mean sometimes people talk about Singapore being clean as if it's a bad thing . As if Asia has to be dirty to be authentic.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 AM

788 posts, read 1,598,645 times
Singapore is boring. It's a large scale disneyland with limited attractions.

Hong Kong is organized chaos and grittiness. It's international, but holds true to its cantonese roots. Plus, Hong Kong has better scenery and outdoor activities. HK also has a cheap side (not housing obviously), while Singapore does not.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 AM

12,615 posts, read 15,076,634 times
Singapore feels less crowded, generally cleaner, is more diverse, more relaxed, and people have better manners/education.

Hong Kong is more exciting, better shopping/dining options, people are very tense, more cosmopolitan, more gritty.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,334,113 times
Singapore is not presently on the level of Hong Kong, although in terms of cultural amenities & food I've found Singapore from my experience to exceed that of Hong Kong.

Singapore will one day very soon in the near future be on Hong Kong's level. As of the moment, it's closing the gap between the two pretty nicely.

Singapore also happens to be my hometown.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:52 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,671,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Yeah i mean sometimes people talk about Singapore being clean as if it's a bad thing . As if Asia has to be dirty to be authentic.
It's not about the being clean, but rather the "stickler for rules" type of culture. In Hong Kong, everything is more spontaneous. Just bring your wallet (cash, credit cards, Octopus card), and you're good to go. If you want to go elsewhere, the MTR is very fast and easy. Even the buses to go to Ocean Park are full within a few minutes.

Contrast that to Singapore where one has to look at the bus timetable to go to the zoo, to the bird park or to Sentosa all the time. And you have to prepare your passport and embarkation card to show the free shuttle to Universal Studios, plus you have to read all these different fee types to each attraction. It gets a bit taxing, and I actually worry that I get accused of getting on something that I am not entitled to, because I purchased the wrong type of ticket. I find it similar to visiting a hospital. Kind of sterile and you better follow all the rules. Believe it or not, due to those warnings about fines and what not, I won't even allow my kids to eat ice cream in Singapore outside where we purchase it, for the fear that they might drop the ice cream and we get fined for littering. Not sure if that actually happens there, but that's the feeling I get when I am there.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,445,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Believe it or not, due to those warnings about fines and what not, I won't even allow my kids to eat ice cream in Singapore outside where we purchase it, for the fear that they might drop the ice cream and we get fined for littering. Not sure if that actually happens there, but that's the feeling I get when I am there.
Woh, thats intense...I have heard similar comments from other people though. Seems like an uptight place.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
It's not about the being clean, but rather the "stickler for rules" type of culture. In Hong Kong, everything is more spontaneous. Just bring your wallet (cash, credit cards, Octopus card), and you're good to go. If you want to go elsewhere, the MTR is very fast and easy. Even the buses to go to Ocean Park are full within a few minutes.

Contrast that to Singapore where one has to look at the bus timetable to go to the zoo, to the bird park or to Sentosa all the time. And you have to prepare your passport and embarkation card to show the free shuttle to Universal Studios, plus you have to read all these different fee types to each attraction. It gets a bit taxing, and I actually worry that I get accused of getting on something that I am not entitled to, because I purchased the wrong type of ticket. I find it similar to visiting a hospital. Kind of sterile and you better follow all the rules. Believe it or not, due to those warnings about fines and what not, I won't even allow my kids to eat ice cream in Singapore outside where we purchase it, for the fear that they might drop the ice cream and we get fined for littering. Not sure if that actually happens there, but that's the feeling I get when I am there.
Singapore buses run frequently, I don't know why looking at the bus timetable is SUCH a hassle for you, it's there to make your life easier ya know. lol. I haven't been to Universal Studios but Singapore does have some things that are free for foreigners and not for Singaporeans. I haven't found any of that to be a problem at all, I think it's good that Singapore is organised.etc it makes things easier not harder. The attractions are all world-class. Try going to a museum in Vietnam or something it's like night and day. I would HOPE a hospital is sterile, lol, since that's what they're supposed to be.

It's not like there are cops everywhere and Singaporeans are more understanding than that. If you accidentally drop something I would hope they'd give you the benefit of the doubt.

Although I'm defending Singapore here, I definitely do think it has it's cons. The people can be rather uptight/sticklers for the rules, the immigration officers are often stony-faced and some shop-keepers can be a bit obnoxious. I think customer service seems better than I remember, though. The way some Singaporeans treat their maids is also revealing.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Singapore is not presently on the level of Hong Kong, although in terms of cultural amenities & food I've found Singapore from my experience to exceed that of Hong Kong.

Singapore will one day very soon in the near future be on Hong Kong's level. As of the moment, it's closing the gap between the two pretty nicely.

Singapore also happens to be my hometown.
On every criteria Singapore matches HK, but maybe it's not quite as big in stature/well known still. Definitely think it's not far behind, though. Singapore definitely offers a lot HK doesn't, and vice versa. I found the food scene in HK disappointing, but like I said Cantonese is actually among my least favourite Chinese regional cuisines (much prefer say Sichuan). Malaysian/Singaporean food, probably pretty unknown in the States, is still among the best in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or