U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
You could also term this as civil and efficient. It's not much different to any other Western city in terms of regulation, though I rarely hear people questioning the lack of authenticity in Western cities.

What exactly are it's roots? I mean Singapore took off as a British colonial business which attracted people who sought to work for a share of the pie. The same can be said for Hong Kong, these cities have always attracted entrepreneurial people and by the nature of their foundation/development, the people of either city are not strangers to change.
Good post, exactly, although Singapore predates Raffles' settlement by centuries, it was a small village which left virtually no tangible legacy. Same with Hong Kong. They were set up by the British as commercial ports which attracted people from all over Asia and indeed the world. Singapore is very much defined by it's location as a trade centre.

Yeah it's like people still expect Asian cities to be dirty and chaotic, while Western cities are all clean and orderly.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
It's not that it's too clean. Everything is too ordered and rigid. It takes away from the authenticity of the city/culture. Singapore has not held onto its roots, other than preserving the shells of old buildings. Like I said, Main Street Disneyland: Just the shells of small town american buildings, not actual people or culture. Catered towards consumerism, not heritage preservation.
I think of late Singapore has made more of an effort to acknowledge it's history and preserve it's heritage. No, in the past it didn't have the best record, but the same could be said of many cities around the world. Like I said before, central Singapore has more heritage buildings than Hong Kong, yet people don't really criticise Hong Kong for it's lack of history or culture.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 PM

@ Valentro

While Cantonese food is famous the world over, HK isn't as synonymous with food as Singapore or Penang is. Like Bangkok, while it has a great food scene (even if a lot of it isn't my scene) other things overshadow it.

I hope Houston turns into something decent, instead of the dull, generic American metropolis it is or once was.

I had Thai food in LA, it was so so, although it was just one restaurant. I'm always on the lookout for good Thai, actually found some good quality stuff here in Perth. There are quite a few Thais here. Perth boasts a lot of SEA cuisine, probably better than any American city. I'd say a very large percentage of Australians have visited South East Asia, and we have large Vietnamese, Indonesian, Malaysian, Thai, Singaporean communities.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:50 PM

22,152 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Good post, exactly, although Singapore predates Raffles' settlement by centuries, it was a small village which left virtually no tangible legacy. Same with Hong Kong. They were set up by the British as commercial ports which attracted people from all over Asia and indeed the world. Singapore is very much defined by it's location as a trade centre.

Yeah it's like people still expect Asian cities to be dirty and chaotic, while Western cities are all clean and orderly.
I don't think anyone expects that Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, or Singapore to be dirty and chaotic (maybe a bit chaotic in the sense of a lot of stimuli at once, but not in terms of complete disorder).

Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think anyone expects that Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, or Singapore to be dirty and chaotic (maybe a bit chaotic in the sense of a lot of stimuli at once, but not in terms of complete disorder).
That's true, I guess I'm more thinking China, SE Asia, South Asia.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Western cities are not all clean and orderly, and Asian cities are not all dirty and chaotic. Paris, Rome and San Francisco are dirtier than Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei and Hong Kong. I feel that Tokyo is cleaner than Singapore, but it does not have that constant reminder that one is going to be fined if you do this or that. Just in case they actually do and I just did not understand the Japanese signs, I am at least pretty sure that chewing gum is still legal in Japan.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Western cities are not all clean and orderly, and Asian cities are not all dirty and chaotic. Paris, Rome and San Francisco are dirtier than Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei and Hong Kong. I feel that Tokyo is cleaner than Singapore, but it does not have that constant reminder that one is going to be fined if you do this or that. Just in case they actually do and I just did not understand the Japanese signs, I am at least pretty sure that chewing gum is still legal in Japan.
I don't like how the Japanese over-package everything. Buy a packet of sweets and each little sweet is in it's individual wrapper. Even the fruits are all wrapped up.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
I actually think if Penang were to secede from Malaysia at the same time as Singapore, and ruled by the same visionary like Lee Kuan Yew, it will be almost like a twin of Singapore now, with the same core demographics and a shared legacy. On top of that, Penang has verdant hills, and that reminds you of HK in a way, sans the expansive skyline the latter is famous for.

But in a way, Penang is where you can imagine how Singapore is like decades ago.
Any movement that will make this a reality?

Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Any movement that will make this a reality?
Well no, secession is a politically seditious act . If there's one state that is secession-inclined, that would be Sabah.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 AM

I'd be interesting to imagine a Penang city state. I would if it would just include Penang island or the mainland section including Butterworth etc, which shouldn't be ignored. Penang is a great asset to Malaysia in general though. As a kid I didn't like it because I thought it was dirty, but now i appreciate the architecture, food, culture a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or