U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Jakarta sure has a lot of high-rise for a developing countries. Great pics!

 
Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Jakarta sure has a lot of high-rise for a developing countries. Great pics!
thanks!

please don't assume all developing countries not to have highrise just look at our neighbor Thailand or Philippines they all have it too!
 
Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post

don't worry opinion is opinion
Yeah, and Manila's skyline is better IMO because it's in clusters:

Manila


Fort Bonifacio


Makati


Ortigas


and then several smaller skylines. And then they call come together to form a huge skyline from afar...

Last edited by Smtchll; 09-09-2013 at 01:18 AM..
 
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
Reputation: 219
yes while Jakarta's scattered, but i still feel the city is better in terms of skyline because she have her character and beautiful buildings..... not the best in the world but we're quiet confident about her... and i think i've posted various reason in previous page.. but then its based on opinion and several facts (i type wrongly and i can't edit but the global competitiveness of Manila is 84 on rank not 81)

Jakarta again:

















all compacted skyline

Last edited by Goshio22; 09-09-2013 at 01:26 AM..
 
Old 09-09-2013, 01:13 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Reputation: 796
Frankly, I wish Manila had more colonial buildings instead of skyscrapers to make it more unique compare to all Asian countries. Skyscrapers are everywhere in Asia.
 
Old 09-09-2013, 01:25 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Frankly, I wish Manila had more colonial buildings instead of skyscrapers to make it more unique compare to all Asian countries. Skyscrapers are everywhere in Asia.
Plenty of Asian cities already have a lot of colonial buildings. Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Yangon, George Town, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Macau.
 
Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Plenty of Asian cities already have a lot of colonial buildings. Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Yangon, George Town, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Macau.
i think Philippines have Vigan, as for Manila they have Intramuros (though quiet small but still nice), in Indonesia we have Bandung, Sawahlunto (Indonesia's Vigan) and many other cities that preserved their building better.... but Jakarta's old town but isn't that impressive anymore....

 
Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Plenty of Asian cities already have a lot of colonial buildings. Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Yangon, George Town, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Macau.
I still think colonial architecture are much nicer than skyscrapers, like Europe, has more character.
Skyscrapers has become the symbol of Asia, so more colonial architecture would still make a country more unique.
I didn't see so many colonial building in Singapore.
Yes Macau has some, their Calle Real is actually a mini replica of Lisboa, but honestly Spanish architecture is more designed than Portuguese architecture. Churches in Macau look very plain except for the Ruins. Spanish designs are more baroque.
Can't say anything about India as I haven't been there yet, though I saw in an Indian movie that it's a bit similar to London.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 09-09-2013 at 02:33 AM..
 
Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Reputation: 1798
A city can have both. I like that Manila has skyscrapers, but I wish it had more mid-rise buildings like Europe. It seems like Manila has 2 extremes: skyscrapers and low-rise buildings. Mid-rises would save a lot of space, look better, and feel more urban. I know they're building a lot of mid-rises for the poor people, but they should consider building them for the general population. I don't like how the rich have their 1 and 2 story single-family homes in Makati, as if they live in a suburban area. It's in the middle of the city. Those buildings should all be mid-rise apartments.
 
Old 09-09-2013, 03:41 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I still think colonial architecture are much nicer than skyscrapers, like Europe, has more character.
Skyscrapers has become the symbol of Asia, so more colonial architecture would still make a country more unique.
I didn't see so many colonial building in Singapore.
Yes Macau has some, their Calle Real is actually a mini replica of Lisboa, but honestly Spanish architecture is more designed than Portuguese architecture. Churches in Macau look very plain except for the Ruins. Spanish designs are more baroque.
Can't say anything about India as I haven't been there yet, though I saw in an Indian movie that it's a bit similar to London.
Raffles Hotel, St. Andrew's Cathedral, St. George's Cathedral, Victoria Theatre, National Museum, Asian Civilisation Museum.etc.

Architecture of Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia








Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top