Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:14 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,563,054 times

Advertisements

Manila

Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 PM

21 posts, read 79,561 times
I still can not understand about this thread ...
Is this about, Jakarta vs Manila or Jakarta (City) vs. Metro Manila??

From the photos of Jakarta that I've been observing here, all photos are ONLY pictures of the city of Jakarta Special Capital Region not Metro Jakarta (covering Jakarta-SCR, city of Bogor, city of Depok, city of Tangerang, city of Bekasi)

Actually, we never refer Metro Jakarta as Jakarta, but better known as Jabodetabek (Jakarta, Bogor, Depok, Tangerang, Bekasi).

Old 10-22-2013, 09:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dito Roso View Post

From the photos of Jakarta that I've been observing here, all photos are ONLY pictures of the city of Jakarta Special Capital Region not Metro Jakarta (covering Jakarta-SCR, city of Bogor, city of Depok, city of Tangerang, city of Bekasi)

Actually, we never refer Metro Jakarta as Jakarta, but better known as Jabodetabek (Jakarta, Bogor, Depok, Tangerang, Bekasi).
No actually, Jakarta (west, east, central, north and south) is equivalent to Metro Manila and whereareas Jabodetabek is equivalent to Mega Manila.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dito Roso View Post

Jakarta is your Capital Region & Metro Manila is our National Capital Region.

Jakarta is also a City (Capital)

Manila is also a City (Capital)

When people referring to Manila it still includes the Metropolitan Manila which is the surrounding cities of the main capital city which is part of the region.

Metro Manila has 4 district (National Capital Region)
1. Manila - Capital District
2. Mandaluyong, Pasig, Quezon City, San Juan, Marikina - Eastern Manila District
3. Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas, and Valenzuela - CAMANAVA District
4. Taguig, Makati, Las Piñas,Muntinlupa, Pasay, Pateros, Paranaque - Southern Manila District

^Manila is developing capital region. Once it used to be a great capital
just give it time. Still positive although there's a lot to improve more..

Mega Manila is different it comprised of (NCR) National Capital Region (Metro Manila), CALABARZON (CAvite, LAguna, BAtangas, Rizal, and QueZON), MIMAROPA (Occidental & Oriental MIndoro, MArinduque, ROmblon, and PAlawan)

Last edited by pinai; 10-23-2013 at 02:40 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 06:29 AM

6 posts, read 43,287 times
Never been to both cities, but basing on the pictures posted..Manila looks better and cleaner than Jakarta.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:04 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citiboi9002 View Post
Never been to both cities, but basing on the pictures posted..Manila looks better and cleaner than Jakarta.
The rules are only the CBD area are sparkling clean, outside of it is utter nightmare.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:16 AM

JAKARTA...
2nd Largest Megacity in The World

Pictures source : Various Forums / threads in SSCI

Old 11-20-2013, 11:19 AM

JAKARTA...

Old 11-20-2013, 11:25 AM

JAKARTA...

New year eve Bundaran HI, Jakarta Indonesia by Ary W Saputro, on Flickr

Old 11-26-2013, 04:38 AM

17 posts, read 36,121 times
Wink Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardee View Post
Thats according to you.

I agree with this comment by your fellow Indonesian. I'll rank ASEAN cities just like his list.

I'm an Indonesian living in Singapore.
Let me tell you something.
Most people in this thread have never been to all 3 cities of Bangkok, Jakarta, and Kuala Lumpur. And even if they have visited more than 1 of these cities, it's probably only for a couple of days and restricted to certain areas in the cities only.
I've been to all 3 cities, as well as the other 2 major Southeast Asian cities: Singapore and Manila. Not only have I been to all 5 cities, I go to those cities VERY frequently, spending months upon months. So take it from me, I know these cities very well.
That said, here's what I think.
The most comfortable city in Southeast Asia to live in is undoubtedly Singapore. Why? Because everything there, both basic and tertiary, are first-class. Modern, efficient, impeccable. For expats, it also helps that probably 80% of people living in Singapore can speak fluent English.
The 2nd most comfortable city is Kuala Lumpur. In a nutshell, KL is like a slightly dirtier and slightly more chaotic Singapore. They have all the good facilities that Singapore have, albeit slightly older and more 'worn out'. But still, a comfortable city where at least 40% of the people speak good English.
The 3rd most comfortable city is Bangkok. Similarly, they have almost all the amenities & facilities like Singapore & KL, but slightly less efficient. However, since Bangkok build most of their infrastructure (great airport, BTS skytrain, MRT, etc) around 5 years after KL, their facilities look better & newer than in KL. Only 20% of the people speak English.
The 4th most comfortable city is Manila. Living standard, urban facilities etc are a notch below Bangkok, and the city is pretty chaotic. However, Manila is still better than the city on the 5th place (below) because of its more 'international' feel to it. Almost everybody speaks English (which is a big bonus), and the city is pretty much the most tolerant, relaxed city in Southeast Asia (which is why it's comfortable to live in).
The 5th most comfortable city is Jakarta. To be fair, Jakarta is almost identical to Manila in every aspect, however, Jakarta is more polluted, there's no MRT, and traffic is a perpetual gridlock. However, if we're talking about aspects OTHER than the transportation & sanitary problems, Jakarta is EASILY as good & comfortable as Singapore, KL, Bangkok, and Manila. But it IS true that Jakarta is the LEAST-endowed city among the 5 in terms of public amenities.
Now that I've made those clear, let's talk about misconceptions.
A lot of people here seem to be overly patriotic and will defend their own hometowns no matter what. And worse, people seem to think that just because a city is lacking in one or two aspects, it automatically makes the city very bad.
Despite the rank above, Jakarta is the BEST in Southeast Asia in terms of shopping malls and high-rise architecture. Malls and buildings in Jakarta are generally better-designed than all of the other cities. It is also the best in terms of nightlife.
Bangkok is the BEST in terms of cuisine, fashion, and tourist attractions.
KL is the BEST in terms of landmarks (KLIA, KLCC)
Singapore is the BEST in terms of cleanliness, public service, and transportation (Changi, SMRT / SBS transit)
Manila is the BEST in terms of skyline and building density (Makati skyline is the best in Southeast Asia)
Bangkok is the BEST in terms of hotels / accommodation (even 4-star hotels in Bangkok is better than 5-star hotels in Singapore)
...and so on and so forth.

Source:/world/thailand/TJS0SN40IUTJ74VOS/p13]JAKARTA vs BANGKOK.. - [domain blocked due to spam]
Jokowi and Basuki is planning for the MRT and Monorails, The slums will be upgraded into 'kampung deret' which is cleaner. Come back here 5 years later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia