U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:22 PM

10 posts, read 22,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardee View Post
Thats according to you.

I agree with this comment by your fellow Indonesian. I'll rank ASEAN cities just like his list.

I'm an Indonesian living in Singapore.
Let me tell you something.
Most people in this thread have never been to all 3 cities of Bangkok, Jakarta, and Kuala Lumpur. And even if they have visited more than 1 of these cities, it's probably only for a couple of days and restricted to certain areas in the cities only.
I've been to all 3 cities, as well as the other 2 major Southeast Asian cities: Singapore and Manila. Not only have I been to all 5 cities, I go to those cities VERY frequently, spending months upon months. So take it from me, I know these cities very well.
That said, here's what I think.
The most comfortable city in Southeast Asia to live in is undoubtedly Singapore. Why? Because everything there, both basic and tertiary, are first-class. Modern, efficient, impeccable. For expats, it also helps that probably 80% of people living in Singapore can speak fluent English.
The 2nd most comfortable city is Kuala Lumpur. In a nutshell, KL is like a slightly dirtier and slightly more chaotic Singapore. They have all the good facilities that Singapore have, albeit slightly older and more 'worn out'. But still, a comfortable city where at least 40% of the people speak good English.
The 3rd most comfortable city is Bangkok. Similarly, they have almost all the amenities & facilities like Singapore & KL, but slightly less efficient. However, since Bangkok build most of their infrastructure (great airport, BTS skytrain, MRT, etc) around 5 years after KL, their facilities look better & newer than in KL. Only 20% of the people speak English.
The 4th most comfortable city is Manila. Living standard, urban facilities etc are a notch below Bangkok, and the city is pretty chaotic. However, Manila is still better than the city on the 5th place (below) because of its more 'international' feel to it. Almost everybody speaks English (which is a big bonus), and the city is pretty much the most tolerant, relaxed city in Southeast Asia (which is why it's comfortable to live in).
The 5th most comfortable city is Jakarta. To be fair, Jakarta is almost identical to Manila in every aspect, however, Jakarta is more polluted, there's no MRT, and traffic is a perpetual gridlock. However, if we're talking about aspects OTHER than the transportation & sanitary problems, Jakarta is EASILY as good & comfortable as Singapore, KL, Bangkok, and Manila. But it IS true that Jakarta is the LEAST-endowed city among the 5 in terms of public amenities.
Now that I've made those clear, let's talk about misconceptions.
A lot of people here seem to be overly patriotic and will defend their own hometowns no matter what. And worse, people seem to think that just because a city is lacking in one or two aspects, it automatically makes the city very bad.
Despite the rank above, Jakarta is the BEST in Southeast Asia in terms of shopping malls and high-rise architecture. Malls and buildings in Jakarta are generally better-designed than all of the other cities. It is also the best in terms of nightlife.
Bangkok is the BEST in terms of cuisine, fashion, and tourist attractions.
KL is the BEST in terms of landmarks (KLIA, KLCC)
Singapore is the BEST in terms of cleanliness, public service, and transportation (Changi, SMRT / SBS transit)
Manila is the BEST in terms of skyline and building density (Makati skyline is the best in Southeast Asia)
Bangkok is the BEST in terms of hotels / accommodation (even 4-star hotels in Bangkok is better than 5-star hotels in Singapore)
...and so on and so forth.

Source:/world/thailand/TJS0SN40IUTJ74VOS/p13]JAKARTA vs BANGKOK.. - [domain blocked due to spam]
REPUBLIKA.CO.ID , JAKARTA --- The success of Jakarta Provincial Government to organize the slums on the banks of Pluit Reservoir , Penjaringan , North Jakarta , and its inhabitants relocated to the towers Marunda , Cilincing , received positive appreciation of Singapore . In fact , Singapore, that is known as an organized city wants to learn from Jakarta who successfully juggle Pulit region thats becoming more orderly and neat ."Not only we are learning from them, they are also willing to learn with us . Like the mayor of Singapore , yesterday he also wanted to learn about the flat towers in Marunda . They asked how of slum areas to be moved there, so we learn from each other , " said Joko Widodo , Governor of Jakarta , after opening a meeting of the Governor and the Mayor Capital in Southeast Asia , at the JW Marriot Hotel , South Jakarta , as quoted by the site beritajakarta. Jokowi admitted , the program that relocates residents in Pluit Reservoir, has been admired by the Mayor of Singapore , Teo Ho Pin . Persuasive ways that have been done has become an example for other countries to be implemented in their country .According to him , not only Jakarta that is learning from other capital cities, but instead some of the programs that are currently underway by the city has become an example for others. After askng the relocation problem in Marunda towers , Mayor of North West Distric , Singapore also discussed with Jokowi the development of micro small and medium enterprises (MSMEs ). " We learn to them , they can also learn here about micro businesses , small businesses , how our effort to construct street vendors ( PKL ) here , " he said .

Old 02-01-2014, 06:25 PM

6 posts, read 14,064 times
Welcome to JAKARTA (1)

I love Jakarta more, because...
Jakarta.. Definitely doesn't look like American or European cities ...

Jakarta has it owns unique charms, as a Capital of the Southeast Asian biggest Economy..
2nd largest Megacity in the world..

Never heard of people who visited Jakarta will say:
"oh .. looks like in New York .. .. oh as in Paris ... or, .. oh like in London ....
but what would always be uttered is :
oh .. It is Jakarta !

Old 02-01-2014, 07:37 PM

Welcome to JAKARTA (2)

scroll >>>>>>>>>>>

Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 PM

72 posts, read 120,919 times
I think Jakarta has worse traffic jams because this city has more motorcyle riders and car drivers. I hope large numbers of them will be reduced as soon as possible.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:10 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
@jembeluwek yes they will say, oh its jakarta because of the sewer odor the city have and not to forget the dreadnought trafic

@ilham no on the contrary this city have more car than motorbike, but i do see more and more people walking these day, its even faster than the trafic. Public transportation have been improved by ALOT i must say, the krl train now are much MUCH more civilized without the roof climbers and queues are easier with e-ticketing system. Not to mention the stations all having been renovated.

Busway busses also start to improve with more busses coming, one major centralized station in Manggarai and Pulogegang is almost finished too. Airport railink is to be finished in 2 years most too they say and lets not forget the new airport building. All i can say is this city is improving itself at a very reasonable rate, but still lacking by too much. Sidewalks for example are uncomfortable, have holes and sometimes not paved, how do they expect more pedestrians if we cant even enjoy our walk properly, if this city wants to beat trafic they need to make us as citizen walk

Last edited by Goshio22; 02-02-2014 at 11:19 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 02:35 AM

376 posts, read 742,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jembeluwek View Post
Welcome to JAKARTA (1)

I love Jakarta more, because...
Jakarta.. Definitely doesn't look like American or European cities ...

Jakarta has it owns unique charms, as a Capital of the Southeast Asian biggest Economy..
2nd largest Megacity in the world..

Never heard of people who visited Jakarta will say:
"oh .. looks like in New York .. .. oh as in Paris ... or, .. oh like in London ....
but what would always be uttered is :
oh .. It is Jakarta !

yes of course ! Jakarta is different from New York, Paris and even London .. but there are few skyscrapers that are not less good as the other countries.You put picture Jakarta ..it Sudirman region , Block M even Old City ( kota tua ), I know where the place is very nice especially JAKARTA have a beautiful building. I also hate to see the motor bike that makes dirty scenery. but there wisdom of the government to create a separate motor bike lane. I think you will enjoy Jakarta when on Sunday in the surrounding area is very beautiful atmosphere sudirman region without smog vehicle

Old 02-03-2014, 11:50 PM

It is true, Jakarta has many buildings with beautiful architectural design and It is recognized by many international observers on urban architecture.
In the year 2020, Jakarta could be the city with the best skyline in Southeast Asia, considering there are currently more than 200 skyscrapers with a height of 200m's being built,
and some of them are included in the category of supertalls (Cemindo Tower / 325m, Thamrin One / 330M, St.Moritz / 300m, Pertamina Enegy Tower / 530m) and megatalls (Signature Tower / 638m).
By that time, Jakarta will also have MRT, Monorail, BRT, as well as new world-class Airport (first phase, the new Terminal-3 will be operated in 2015).

Old 02-04-2014, 12:10 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
This documentary will give you a good idea about life in Manila, the good and the bad.

Philippine Documentary - The Definitions of Lower, Middle, and Upper Classes - YouTube

I found this episode to be much more optimistic than the episode about Japan

Old 02-04-2014, 01:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,055 times
^^
Nice.. inspiring..

Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
^ Yeah, it's like the only documentary I've seen about Manila that actual had an optimistic conclusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia