Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ Yeah, it's like the only documentary I've seen about Manila that actual had an optimistic conclusion
thanks for sharing the video. It's good that someone in Tondo, Manila got the job in Citibank Makati. I guess if most of them just started to dream big and push themselves to work out to get out from that place. I like her point of view and She's confident that she can change her life and her family. I wish her good luck!

Old 06-25-2014, 03:53 AM

282 posts, read 708,013 times
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here! It seems that the thread is nice.

Cheers! =)

Old 06-25-2014, 04:03 AM

The Newly approved New Manila International Airport @ Manila Bay, Metro Manila
(Biggest in Asia in the Making @ US $ 10B)

To be funded by San Miguel Corporation. This one is a separate project from the Proposed Gov't New Airport

Source: San Miguel presents $10B airport proposal to Malacañang

Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 AM

Metro Manila's MRT and LRT

MRT 3 along EDSA Since 1996 (Ramos Era)

LRT 1 along Taft Avenue in City of Manila since 1981
(Marcos Era)

LRT 2 along Recto Ave. Manila City to Eastern Metro Manila since 2001

Ticket vendo machine

all images credit to the owner

Old 06-25-2014, 06:44 AM

Monorail Inside University of the Philippines Diliman Campus since 2013 (Metro Manila)

[/url]

100% all made in the philippines including those coasters

credit to rappler.com, up diliman

Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,448,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
thanks for sharing the video. It's good that someone in Tondo, Manila got the job in Citibank Makati. I guess if most of them just started to dream big and push themselves to work out to get out from that place. I like her point of view and She's confident that she can change her life and her family. I wish her good luck!
I didn't know that living in Tondo prevents anyone from getting a job in Makati? Where the hell did that come from? LOL. As far as I know, anyone, anywhere can find a job anywhere in my country. Did we live in the same country?

Rajko's pics makes me happy it really is happy to know my country is not as poor as everyone seems to know. Love that new airport proposal too. Hope they build it.

Hopefully when I visit Philippines in the future that's the airport I land in.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 AM

327 posts, read 568,743 times
There is simply no comparison. Jakarta is exciting, on the move, more exotic ... I could go on. Manila on the other hand is not entirely safe. Bottom line, I would live in Jakarta, Manila, never.

P.S. I love the Philippines outside of Manila, one of the most interesting travel destinations in the world.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:15 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
There is simply no comparison. Jakarta is exciting, on the move, more exotic ... I could go on. Manila on the other hand is not entirely safe. Bottom line, I would live in Jakarta, Manila, never.

P.S. I love the Philippines outside of Manila, one of the most interesting travel destinations in the world.

I don't see how they don't compare. They're probably the two most comparable cities in the world. Similar size and population, similar climate, the people look similar. Manila is exciting (hectic) like Jakarta. And it's definitely on the move. There was a another thread on the World section that showed that Manila has the most skyscrapers currently understand construction of any city in the world. I'd say that means it's on the move. Exotic? probably not. It's very American and Latin with an almost Thai backdrop. I agree that Manila is probably less safe than Jakarta, but Manila isn't dangerous compared to most 3rd world cities. The big problem with Jakarta that will be a headache in the future is that it's sinking. The main problem for Manila's future is that it will likely get hit by a major earthquake. So both cities need major upgrades.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:20 PM

327 posts, read 568,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I don't see how they don't compare. They're probably the two most comparable cities in the world. Similar size and population, similar climate, the people look similar. Manila is exciting (hectic) like Jakarta. And it's definitely on the move. There was a another thread on the World section that showed that Manila has the most skyscrapers currently understand construction of any city in the world. I'd say that means it's on the move. Exotic? probably not. It's very American and Latin with an almost Thai backdrop. I agree that Manila is probably less safe than Jakarta, but Manila isn't dangerous compared to most 3rd world cities. The big problem with Jakarta that will be a headache in the future is that it's sinking. The main problem for Manila's future is that it will likely get hit by a major earthquake. So both cities need major upgrades.
One is on an upward trajectory, the other is dangerous and generally to be avoided. That's how they "don't compare."

I think Indonesia will be the next China, and the Philippines will continue to be the "sick man of Asia." That's another way they don't compare.

size. population, climate has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by Chasva69; 06-25-2014 at 12:31 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 12:45 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
One is on an upward trajectory, the other is dangerous and generally to be avoided. That's how "they don't compare."

I think Indonesia will be the next China, and the Philippines will continue to be the "sick man of Asia." That's another way they don't compare.
they're both on the upward trajectory, but they're both still poor, third-world cities with a long way to go. I see the Philippines going in the right direction now more than ever because the RH Law has passed. Population growth has been the main thing holding back the country and now there's a solution that most Filipinos are in favor of. Anyways, they're very comparable cities and the countries are comparable as well.

The following are from wikipedia:
GDP per capita PPP
China- $9,844
Indonesia- $5,214
Philippines- $4,682

Human Development Index
China- 0.699
Philippines- 0.654
Indonesia- 0.629

Real GDP growth rate (2013)
China- 7.60
Philippines- 6.80
Indonesia- 5.30

GDP growth first quarter 2014
China- 7.4
Philippines- 5.7
Indonesia- 5.21

So to say that the Philippines is far behind is wrong because it's ahead of Indonesia in some categories. Let's also keep in mind that China is a third world country too.

Crime is where the Philippines really looks bad in comparison:

Intentional Homicide Rate
China- 1.0 per 100,000
Indonesia- 0.6 per 100,000
Philippines- 8.8 per 100,000
Source: Data

So yes, Philippines is by far more dangerous, but it has a similar murder rate to Costa Rica and Peru, and I never hear people complaining about how dangerous those countries are. And the Philippine has far less crime than most of Latin America despite having the same level of poverty or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia