U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2013, 06:09 AM
kyh
 
Location: Malaysia & Singapore
383 posts, read 1,062,013 times
Reputation: 143

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Seriously?

Is it really that bad over there?
He's known for his anti-Manila sentiments and fierce provincialism.

 
Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Seriously?

Is it really that bad over there?
Manila is not the place I'd want to stay in the Philippines, but it's not as bad as he describes. For example, it's a third world city, but it has a crime rate that's lower than most US cities and nothing compared to South America or Africa. It has 3 or 4 of the top ten largest malls in the world and it has a huge modern skyline


So it's not completely a third-world ghetto, although a lot of it is. The reason why Ejay dislikes it is because he thinks the people there are a different race from the rest of the Philippines. I honestly cant see it.

People in Manila
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J62QDPyyhE

People in Cebu (2nd largest city)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P85iXpfJjrQ

Same social class, same race, same country. His whole agenda here is to convince us that people in Manila and the surrounding region look completely different from the rest of the Philippines. He said the difference is like Nigerians & Greeks.
 
Old 01-26-2013, 06:27 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Reputation: 11862
Manila's local ethno-linguistic group are Tagalogs but it's attracted people from all over the Philippines.
 
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,766 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Manila's local ethno-linguistic group are Tagalogs but it's attracted people from all over the Philippines.
So has cebu...smtchl has a knack for posting atypical people or ethnic minorities
 
Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
So has cebu...smtchl has a knack for posting atypical people or ethnic minorities
You usually post street people in Manila and say they're typical Manila people. So I posted the poorest Manila people and the poorest Cebu people, and whaddya know, they look the same.
 
Old 01-26-2013, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,766 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
You usually post street people in Manila and say they're typical Manila people. So I posted the poorest Manila people and the poorest Cebu people, and whaddya know, they look the same.
Many of the poorest people in cebu are ethnic minorities from mindanao....like badjao ....i compared lowland visayan farmers and poor manilenos....and u accused them of being rich because they racially looked different from poor manilenos
 
Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
Many of the poorest people in cebu are ethnic minorities from mindanao....like badjao ....i compared lowland visayan farmers and poor manilenos....and u accused them of being rich because they racially looked different from poor manilenos
How is this a fair comparison?

Typical Manileno (someone living on a sidewalk)


Typical Visayan (college graduate)


Do you not realize how dumb that makes you look? Different social classes, obviously. The videos I posted had many individuals in them, not just cherry-picked photos. And they were from the same social class. You can use the excuse that Cebu attracts people from other regions, well then I can use the same excuse. Manila is a HUGE city than attracts people from all over. I'd still say that the majority of the poor people in both Cebu & Manila come from surrounding areas or the city itself. And Cebu is surrounded by the Visayas on all sides. No more excuses for you.

Tiger Beer, Golden Tiger, Great Jack, and probably others have all been to the Visayas and the rest of the Philippines and have told you that the pics you post aren't typical at all. Dont act like Im the only one telling you this. You're fighting a losing battle trying to convince us. Everyone just laughs when they see your absolutely ridiculous posts.
 
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,766 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
How is this a fair comparison?

Typical Manileno (someone living on a sidewalk)


Typical Visayan (college graduate)


Do you not realize how dumb that makes you look? Different social classes, obviously. The videos I posted had many individuals in them, not just cherry-picked photos. And they were from the same social class. You can use the excuse that Cebu attracts people from other regions, well then I can use the same excuse. Manila is a HUGE city than attracts people from all over. I'd still say that the majority of the poor people in both Cebu & Manila come from surrounding areas or the city itself. And Cebu is surrounded by the Visayas on all sides. No more excuses for you.

Tiger Beer, Golden Tiger, Great Jack, and probably others have all been to the Visayas and the rest of the Philippines and have told you that the pics you post aren't typical at all. Dont act like Im the only one telling you this. You're fighting a losing battle trying to convince us. Everyone just laughs when they see your absolutely ridiculous posts.
My cousin comes from a simple rural background...so just because she had the initiative to get to college doesnt mean she is upperclass...they are both same economic backgrounds...just different race
 
Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM
 
84 posts, read 367,827 times
Reputation: 41
Bali is the best!


Cowboys in Paradise Bali - YouTube

People in the video said "it's safe and fun in Bali". People having fun all the time, and you don't have to worry about to get mug like in big city like Manila or Jakata too !
 
Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
My cousin comes from a simple rural background...so just because she had the initiative to get to college doesnt mean she is upperclass...they are both same economic backgrounds...just different race
"simple" rural background AKA "middle class rural" she's not dirt poor. She's not living on a sidewalk. That's why your comparisons are flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top