U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:39 AM

282 posts, read 606,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Currently its all processing plants and manufacturing, to be industrilized more is the objective and increase the wealth standard as well job availability. Its a start atleast from being overelying on selling ores to processing it, eventually we would be the one buying it from other country.

We dont have state religion, there is no law againts birth control or abortion or contraceptive. Birth control has been playing role since the 60s and is regularly promoted. People definitely dont have as much kids as before back in the 60s even for the poorer families in the rural area. Population growth however is still there and i dont think there is much pressure currently to slow it down. (Atleast currently) population growth are likely to damage the fragile biodiversity however.
Okay. Good

Love to see your country towards industrial instead. Please get those investors in China

Hmnnn.. Nice to know about the situation re RH in Indonesia. Okay so meaning majority of Muslim brothers and sis, though no nat'l religion. I see.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2014, 02:49 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,147,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Rajko View Post
Okay. Good

Love to see your country towards industrial instead. Please get those investors in China

Hmnnn.. Nice to know about the situation re RH in Indonesia. Okay so meaning majority of Muslim brothers and sis, though no nat'l religion. I see.

Thanks
Yes the country are majority Muslims but there are also significant others such as Christians, Hindus, Buddhist all numbering in millions. Some of the islands are dominated by non-Muslims too mainly in the eastern side of the country. Beside that, the Javanese in particular are unique in a sense by retaining their Hindus-Buddhist-Animist practices in their culture, a religion called "Kebatinan". Islam in Java is divided amongst two sect, one that follows Islam strictly while the others are Kebatinan, Kebatinan are practiced heavily by noble families of Java. Some goes as far as only respecting Allah in favor of the culture. You can tell this by strong believe in black magic amongst the population and also many festivals that can be traced to the Pre Islamic era that is still retained by the Muslims of Java. The other Muslims mostly didn't retain this distinctive practices with tiny exception, but i know the Lombok's Sasak people does it and some others in more isolated islands.

Because of all the vvarious religious practices in Indonesia, there is a decree during the independence in Pancasila that declares equality of all recognized religion.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
Quote:
Well okay. for sure it will boost your economy while you have still minerals to export. now question, what's the next stage after Indonesia reach the point to stop exporting those? just asking on that, don't get me wrong mate.

another question, was / is there a law or effort in Indonesia addressing the growing population? what's the stand of the state religion in that issue? this would affect your economy eventually. again, just asking.

Here in Phl. the congress ratified the Reproductive Health bill (family planning) even if the conservative catholic disagrees. Meaning, contraceptives and other measures except abortion is legal now.

Thanks mate
Not only legal, but free. But contraceptives weren't really illegal, they were just expensive and banned in many areas.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:56 AM

1,021 posts, read 898,076 times
The over-all indicator is HDI or Human Development Index. It covers economic growth, education, health and peace and order.

Sorry to put the data for the entire country not just the city.

For so many years, Philippines's HDI is superior to Indonesia. But Indonesia is catching up very fast with the rate double than the Philippines. In some aspect like INCOME, Indonesia is already ahead of the Philippines.

If only Indonesia would focus on EDUCATION, in the next couple of years, it will overtake the Philippines.

2013 HDI:
Philippines - 0.654
Indonesia - 0.629

Health:
Philippines - 0.773
Indonesia - 0.785

Education:
Philippines - 0.679
Indonesia - 0.577

Income:
Philippines - 0.535
Indonesia - 0.550

Life Expectancy:
Philippines - 69.0
Indonesia - 69.8

Mean Years of Schooling:
Philippines - 8.9
Indonesia - 5.8

Income per Capita:
Philippines - $3,752
Indonesia - $4,154

Poverty Index:
Philippines - 0.064
Indonesia - 0.095

Gender Inequality:
Philippines - 0.418
Indonesia - 0.494

Non-income HDI Value:
Philippines - 0.724
Indonesia - 0.672

Source

Old 06-26-2014, 08:05 PM

to kent moore

I guess that's the (good) result of Indonesian's industrialization. it creates jobs and opportunities amongst common people. and for sure it will go far as u have said.. I just wish they could attract more industrial related businesses from china to relocate in indonesia.

now, in the case of Phl. in the next couple of years, BPO industry would double or triple the size of existing offices in the Phl. As BPO started to go beyond M. Manila now rapidly. Expanded down south to cebu up to davao, same as subic to clark up to olongapo to baguio cities. (america's former facilities). This July, a big number of american delegations will come to manila to explore businesses (more on BPO related businesses). Another exciting thing to happen - the opening / amendment of our law about foreign businesses in the phl. wherein a foreigner is not allowed to own any piece of land or even a 100 % business ownership. That law will be revised soon and congress will make way to relax that portion, so that foreign capitals can get it and and participate in other possible areas or industry. I remember during the Ramos era, CNN wanted to invest in our media industry but because of that policy, it didn't push through. And lastly, i believe tourism would gain more in the next 2 yrs, as the gov't doing its best effort to tap the european market including Russia. That would bring a lot sooner as a major economic contributor (just like in thailand). Phl can never go wrong with this tourism effort for sure, we got those destinations, hospitality, affordable rates etc. Its just that infrastructure in terms of flights and routes access were the things to be addressed. That's why gov't is trying to modernize all possible major international gateways like clark, subic, boracay, ilocos, davao, iloilo etc.

here are some figures to ponder:
BPO industry
2012 - contributed to the Ph economy - USD 13 billion++
2013 - contributed to the Ph economy - USD 16 billion more or less
and Phl is serving almost 80% of mainland USA.

As the Phl BPOS projected to go beyond mainland America starting this yr. for sure that would speaks to volume again.. (I'm amazed with this sir, imagine billions income just because of that communication skill.. awesome)

while Tourism Sector is targeting that 10 million tourist arrivals before 2016.

Wat to go boss!

Old 06-26-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
The over-all indicator is HDI or Human Development Index. It covers economic growth, education, health and peace and order.

Sorry to put the data for the entire country not just the city.

For so many years, Philippines's HDI is superior to Indonesia. But Indonesia is catching up very fast with the rate double than the Philippines. In some aspect like INCOME, Indonesia is already ahead of the Philippines.

If only Indonesia would focus on EDUCATION, in the next couple of years, it will overtake the Philippines.

2013 HDI:
Philippines - 0.654
Indonesia - 0.629

Health:
Philippines - 0.773
Indonesia - 0.785

Education:
Philippines - 0.679
Indonesia - 0.577

Income:
Philippines - 0.535
Indonesia - 0.550

Life Expectancy:
Philippines - 69.0
Indonesia - 69.8

Mean Years of Schooling:
Philippines - 8.9
Indonesia - 5.8

Income per Capita:
Philippines - $3,752
Indonesia - $4,154

Poverty Index:
Philippines - 0.064
Indonesia - 0.095

Gender Inequality:
Philippines - 0.418
Indonesia - 0.494

Non-income HDI Value:
Philippines - 0.724
Indonesia - 0.672

Source
Precisely Education is the main issue in Indonesia, i mean the literacy rate is there but significant number of them didn't finish their school years

Old 06-26-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Precisely Education is the main issue in Indonesia, i mean the literacy rate is there but significant number of them didn't finish their school years
Sad to hear boss, a fundamental of life that everybody must have.

why is that so? any insight on the present condition of youth schooling in your country?

Old 06-26-2014, 11:45 PM

to kent moore

got an typo error..

"Way to go i mean" he he he

Old 06-27-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Sad to hear boss, a fundamental of life that everybody must have.

why is that so? any insight on the present condition of youth schooling in your country?
The education system is alright i suppose(with some minor issue which i would rather not discuss), there are pressure from the families to get a job as early as possible in order to support the family, this happens mainly in the rural area. In the capital education is free in public schools and some other cities, and those who are caught not sending their kids to school will be heavily fined. In the next coming year there is possibility of free education until junior high schools or further.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
The education system is alright i suppose(with some minor issue which i would rather not discuss), there are pressure from the families to get a job as early as possible in order to support the family, this happens mainly in the rural area. In the capital education is free in public schools and some other cities, and those who are caught not sending their kids to school will be heavily fined. In the next coming year there is possibility of free education until junior high schools or further.
copy on that boss

update us more about jakarta please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia