U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:35 PM

282 posts, read 606,470 times

Advertisements

Now getting back on track on Jakarta vs Manila....

Though both secular in gov't system, I guess Manila is still more liberated in a way.

Also, I believe Manila is way ahead in terms of skyline and skyscrapers (@ around 20 CBDs in the metro - thanks to call centers), metro system, fastfoods and restos, malls, while Jakarta has better airport as of the moment, traffic, asian culture, brt system, mass housing for the poor.

here are some facts to ponder on the skyline:

Lists of tallest buildings in metro manila
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_the_Philippines

Lists of tallest buildings in Jakarta metropolis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Indonesia

Thanks

On the other side. Your country is giant in the making, macro as they said, ASEAN's biggest.

Last edited by Coach Rajko; 07-02-2014 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 09:29 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,960 times
Ohhh no no the trafic is worse in Jakarta, in Manila there are atleast 2 million pedestrians, now you hace to change that figure to double with motorbikes in Indonesia. As for the malls? It depends the mall in Jakarta are more sophisticated and luxurious, more rich in international brand and restaurant selection as compared to Metro Manila. (If you want i can even provide a listing of it)

In terms of skyline Manila forms clusters, while Jakarta left its highrises scattered throughout the metropolis, with the right angle, Jakarta skyline could look very nice and weird sometimes. But in terms of skyscrapers and infrastructure quality, Jakarta easily wins Manila. The buildings in Makati and Quezon especially are old and dated boring concrete, while in jakarta they are fresh, innovative and glacially appealing but not properly placed imo. The reason are simply because Jakarta boomed later, so the new buildings are more modern, and quality of city infras are like highway etc superior.

Manila also lacks iconic tower to mark its skyline.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-02-2014 at 10:22 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Ohhh no no the trafic is worse in Jakarta, in Manila there are atleast 2 million pedestrians, now you hace to change that figure to double with motorbikes in Indonesia. As for the malls? It depends the mall in Jakarta are more sophisticated and luxurious, more rich in international brand and restaurant selection as compared to Metro Manila. (If you want i can even provide a listing of it)

In terms of skyline Manila forms clusters, while Jakarta left its highrises scattered throughout the metropolis, with the right angle, Jakarta skyline could look very nice and weird sometimes. But in terms of skyscrapers and infrastructure quality, Jakarta easily wins Manila. The buildings in Makati and Quezon especially are old and dated boring concrete, while in jakarta they are fresh, innovative and glacially appealing but not properly placed imo. The reason are simply because Jakarta boomed later, so the new buildings are more modern, but quality of city infras are like highway etc superior.
Take a look at those attached links. you could see and count those skyscrapers.

We have 20 plus CBDs, and we got a lot of 55 plus floors and up, and the latest addition of Donald Trumps luxury condos @ 73F, Stratford residences @ 76F, One galleon place @ 75F, The Entertainment city tower, Federal land tower @ 66F, Discoveria Primea @ 68F, One shangri la toer 1 and 2 both @ 64F among others.

Those luxury condos intended for Filipino Americans (around 2.5 millions of them in the US) who are interested to own properties in the metro, while fast growing CBDs (around 11 of 20s) including that huge development at the former Clark airbase of America 10x the size of Ayala Makati to be developed as CBDs for BPOs.

Also, Donald Trump is an American billionaire who had the trust and confidence in the Philippines, Paris Hilton as well just opened her luxury condos with white sand resort in the middle of the metro, macau's tycoon, hollywood actor robert de niro etc.. check my prevoius posts and tell me if you got something to match with those.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 PM

Yes but those underconstruction towers, we also have towers underconstruction with 60fl+ and you have 20+ cbd, some of which doesnt even have skyscraper.

For luxury condo jakarta experience the highest growth among all other cities so its really no competition, and actually i was refering to branded items in malls, not luxury condos.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 PM

Donald Trump's Luxury condos in Metro Manila

@ Century City The new twin towers of Makati @ 73F and 64F

Stratford Residences @ 76F

The young Trumps in Makati last 2012

And that's Donald Trump, Invaded the billboard scene in Makati

Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Yes but those underconstruction towers, we also have towers underconstruction with 60fl+ and you have 20+ cbd, some of which doesnt even have skyscraper.

For luxury condo jakarta experience the highest growth among all other cities so its really no competition, and actually i was refering to branded items in malls, not luxury condos.
Hahaha Are you sure?

BGC Taguig has, Ayala Makati has, Ortigas Center has, Eastwood City has, Entertainment City soon has tower higher than Petronas, other CBDs like Araneta, Eton, Vertis, FTI, Greenfield, have atleast 30Fs or lower.

I've been to Jakarta during the late 90s.. and even then, in terms of infrastructure metro manila was way ahead.

So now how many CBDs do have or atleast high rise district? how many 60F and above buildings do you have? convince me sir. thanks

Old 07-02-2014, 11:25 PM

Sometimes I've watched this noontime show over youtube, originally came from ours..
This one can show our similarities, common life among common people, sentiments, etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0AKsvDKVy4

Old 07-02-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Rajko View Post
Hahaha Are you sure?

BGC Taguig has, Ayala Makati has, Ortigas Center has, Eastwood City has, Entertainment City soon has tower higher than Petronas, other CBDs like Araneta, Eton, Vertis, FTI, Greenfield, have atleast 30Fs or lower.

I've been to Jakarta during the late 90s.. and even then, in terms of infrastructure metro manila is way ahead.

So now how many CBDs do have or atleast high rise district? how many 60F and above buildings do you have? convince me sir. thanks
Lol yes taller in terms of proposed tower? in KL they're building this ilham tower which would be 700m tall or something. But in fact CURRENTLY Manila lacks supertall of any sort like KL who has 400m tall Petronas tower, so you can dream on about Manila having better taller tower than KL.

In terms of tallest building proposed (of which i wouldn't rely on) Jakarta have 2 megatall, Signature tower (650m) and Pertamina Energy tower (550m) and tenth of 300m+ towers, 3 of which currently under construction.

Bangkok only have one CBD but its sprawl and cluster form a very nice skyline, Jakarta have several CBDs, the youngest one is Puri Indah CBD and one satelite CBD in Tanggerang suburban Jabodetabek. Current main CBD of Jakarta is the goldern triangle of Thamrin-Sudirman (with skyscrapers lined in major avenue surrounded by urbanized villages), Rasuna Said and Senayan, with several sophisticatedly privately owned CBD of Mega Kuningan and SCBD. In terms of luxury condos which you were so triumphly blabber about, there is many in Jakarta with height being above 200m (you can refer to the listing n wikipedia). So nothing really in Manila currently can impress me of being better than Jakarta, because to me both are just chaotic metropolis, Manila formed good cluster but most of its CBD are privately owned which really explain how good the cluster plans are compared to chaotic Bangkok and Jakarta.

And in terms of infrastructure i would refer to this actually, plus they have considerably good comparison: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_Glo...rt_2013-14.pdf

Indonesia:
GCI 2013–2014 .................................................. .... 38 ..... 4.5
GCI 2012–2013 (out of 144) ..................................... 50 ......4.4
GCI 2011–2012 (out of 142) ..................................... 46 ......4.4
Basic requirements (40.0%) .......................................45 ......4.9
Institutions .................................................. .............. 67 ......4.0
Infrastructure .................................................. .......... 61 ......4.2
Macroeconomic environment ................................... 26 ......5.8
Health and primary education ................................... 72 ......5.7
Efficiency enhancers (50.0%) .....................................52 ......4.3
Higher education and training ................................... 64 ......4.3
Goods market efficiency .......................................... 50 ......4.4
Labor market efficiency .......................................... 103 ......4.0
Financial market development .................................. 60 ......4.2
Technological readiness ............................................ 75 ......3.7
Market size .................................................. ............. 15 ......5.3
Innovation and sophistication factors (10.0%) ...........33 ......4.1
Business sophistication ........................................... 37 ......4.4
Innovation .................................................. ............... 33 ......3.8

Philippines:
Global Competitiveness Index
GCI 2013–2014 .................................................. .... 59 ..... 4.3
GCI 2012–2013 (out of 144) ..................................... 65 ......4.2
GCI 2011–2012 (out of 142) ..................................... 75 ......4.1
Basic requirements (47.7%) .......................................78 ......4.5
Institutions .................................................. .............. 79 ......3.8
Infrastructure .................................................. .......... 96 ......3.4
Macroeconomic environment ................................... 40 ......5.3
Health and primary education ................................... 96 ......5.3
Efficiency enhancers (44.2%) .....................................58 ......4.2
Higher education and training ................................... 67 ......4.3
Goods market efficiency .......................................... 82 ......4.2
Labor market efficiency .......................................... 100 ......4.1
Financial market development .................................. 48 ......4.4
Technological readiness ............................................ 77 ......3.6
Market size .................................................. ............. 33 ......4.7
Innovation and sophistication factors (8.1%) .............58 ......3.8
Business sophistication ........................................... 49 ......4.3
Innovation .................................................. ............... 69 ......3.2

Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
there aren't 20 CBDs in Manila. Not every cluster of tall buildings is a CBD. I think the CBDs are, in order of prominence: Makati, Bonifacio Global City, Ortigas, Manila, Eastwood, Alabang (but this is one looks more like an office park with a few skyscrapers)

Old 07-02-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
there aren't 20 CBDs in Manila. Not every cluster of tall buildings is a CBD. I think the CBDs are, in order of prominence: Makati, Bonifacio Global City, Ortigas, Manila, Eastwood, Alabang (but this is one looks more like an office park with a few skyscrapers)
Maybe he's refering to the number of cities in Metro Manila?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia