U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2014, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Pilipinas
282 posts, read 606,470 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

Hi there.

Let me answer/correct some..

Re: Minimum wage per Year basis - that's basically a comparison for both of our common / ordinary wage earner. as to gauge quality of living and survivability as well. Middle class in this particular analysis is definitely out of the test / analysis.

We might not have those huge percentage of middle class but we have OFW -HPP and Fil Ams, Fil Foreign that religiously providing great contribution to the society and economy in that context.

Re: Remittances, let me correct on that one, Overseas Filipino Contract Workers (OFW) is different from Filipino-Americans with DUAL CITIZENSHIP and Fil -Foreign (FF - Half Pinoys with Half Non-American foreign blood like Japs, Euros, Aussie, NZ, Canadians) (80-95% of them would belong to the Upper middle class by Philippine society standard per se based on my approximation).

OFWs are those Pinoys with contract abroad, that eventually after the tenure of their contract will go back home, while Fil-Ams and Fil Foreigns by culture and tradition have the strong affinity to their considered second home - Ph, they often vacationing here and having strong connections with their Full blooded pinoy cousins and relatives. to name some NBA coach Erik Spoelstra, Rob Schneider, Apl de Ap of Black Eyed Peas etc.. These days, Fil Ams realizes the need of having condos as their properties, that's why fast demand for condos arises in the metro now, plus the fact that often they send money to the ph to their loved ones..

While OFWs are separated in two clusters. High Profile Professionals(HPP) and Labor Force(LF). HPP are high earners people, mostly in the filed of Maritime, Medicines, Engineering and Architectural Firms, US military while LF are those in blue collar jobs in HK, SG, Saudi...

You could basically calculate those Income I guess of those people
Fil-Ams earning big definitely by peso convertion, HPP even bigger probably...

Re: dependency on Remittances, sounds not that nationalistic i know, why not working inside our country? but that's the reality, though on the good side, they can bring a lot and huge dollars in the Philippines. Its not forever for sure, but by the time whey'll go home they'll have enough earnings to begin with.. something very promising isn't? While Fil-Ams and Fil-Fors are forever. And by that time BPOs (call center outsourcing) will take place/surpass the dollar influx needed I guess. and still growing bigger..

And not all remittances are for consumption, big amount of those go to savings and investment.

That's the unique thing that I'm saying.

Re: unemployment, I guess ours are more on marginalize sector, while professionals have enough and sometimes became an call center agents still a professional job but not his ist choice of profession.

Re: Automotive Industry in your country - well that's given, if you have volume of middle class that it, that's the target consumers.


Thanks

Last edited by Coach Rajko; 07-04-2014 at 11:50 AM..

 
Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM
 
68 posts, read 186,007 times
Reputation: 14
Another supertall u/c in Jakarta that I haven't posted yet.

Thamrin 9

 
Old 07-04-2014, 11:10 AM
 
68 posts, read 186,007 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Rajko View Post
Hi there.

Let answer/correct some..

Re: Minimum wage per Year basis - that's basically a comparison for both of our common / ordinary wage earner. as to gauge quality of living and survivability as well. Middle class in this particular analysis is definitely out of the test / analysis.

We might not have those huge percentage of middle class but we have OFW -HPP and Fil Ams, Fil Foreign that religiously providing great contribution to the society and economy in that context.

Re: Remittances, let me correct on that one, Overseas Filipino Contract Workers (OFW) is different from Filipino-Americans with DUAL CITIZENSHIP and Fil -Foreign (FF - Half Pinoys with Half Non-American foreign blood like Japs, Euros, Aussie, NZ, Canadians) (80-95% of them would belong to the Upper middle class by Philippine society standard per se based on my approximation).

OFWs are those Pinoys with contract abroad, that eventually after the tenure of their contract will go back home, while Fil-Ams and Fil Foreigns by culture and tradition have the strong affinity to their considered second home - Ph, they often vacationing here and having strong connections with their Full blooded pinoy cousins and relatives. to name some NBA coach Erik Spoelstra, Rob Schneider, Apl de Ap of Black Eyed Peas etc.. These days, Fil Ams realizes the need of having condos as their properties, that's why fast demand for condos arises in the metro now, plus the fact that often they send money to the ph to their loved ones..

While OFWs are separated in two clusters. High Profile Professionals(HPP) and Labor Force(LF). HPP are high earners people, mostly in the filed of Maritime, Medicines, Engineering and Architectural Firms, US military while LF are those in blue collar jobs in HK, SG, Saudi...

You could basically calculate those Income I guess of those people
Fil-Ams earning big definitely by peso convertion, HPP even bigger probably...

Re: dependency on Remittances, sounds not that nationalistic i know, why not working inside our country? but that's the reality, though on the good side, they can bring a lot and huge dollars in the Philippines. Its not forever for sure, but by the time whey'll go home they'll have enough earnings to begin with.. something very promising isn't? While Fil-Ams and Fil-Fors are forever. And by that time BPOs (call center outsourcing) will take place/surpass the dollar influx needed I guess. and still growing bigger..

And not all remittances are for consumption, big amount of those go to savings and investment.

That's the unique thing that I'm saying.

Re: unemployment, I guess ours are more on marginalize sector, while professionals have enough and sometimes became an call center agents still a professional job but not his ist choice of profession.

Re: Automotive Industry in your country - well that's given, if you have volume of middle class that it, that's the target consumers.


Thanks
Hi thanks for the response.

I seriously think you should think over whether a remittance based economy will be a good thing in the long run. I don't think so. I think it means you don't have to work hard to transform your economy and instead you wait for the money from abroad to come in. In economics there is this term called the Dutch disease. Look it up! It might be useful for you to understand the Filipino case.
 
Old 07-04-2014, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Pilipinas
282 posts, read 606,470 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoberry View Post
Hi thanks for the response.

I seriously think you should think over whether a remittance based economy will be a good thing in the long run. I don't think so. I think it means you don't have to work hard to transform your economy and instead you wait for the money from abroad to come in. In economics there is this term called the Dutch disease. Look it up! It might be useful for you to understand the Filipino case.
Well if u read my post, I said NOT FOREVER for the OFWs. But Fil Ams and Fil Fors contribution are forever. They're part of us. Simblings, Sons, Daughters, Uncle, Aunt relatives.. you can't stop that affinity.

Also, eventually BPO Sector would take place. that would be huge if Ph would get the majority of Canada eventually,
given that 80% of US needs are coming from Ph. If you're new to this global new industry.. it is happening in our country, take as
backbone of our export eventually. just like your FDI as of now. But the thing is BPO industry projected to take even longer
in a way for Ph. No other developing country will challenge the Ph BPOs in our life time., unlike raw materials export who has an end
and limitations eventually.

Yes I know what u are saying on that economic principle. Its just like a food chain cycle or the sustainability thing naturally per se.

The answer to that is the BPO outsourcing sector. That would be even surpass the remitances eventually, and that is professional job not a STOP GAP solution. You may look on the net as well re BPO status in the Phils.

Now, question on your Manufacturing side:
What happen when natural resources of yours are gone?
2. Who are those capitalists, FDI?
3. When the time they leave your country who would continue those?
4. Do you have enough local investors to bank rolls the manufacturing side?
5. or what if africa develop in near future as another industrial hub, for sure they would give
a much lower labor costs that is attractive to those foreign capitalists?
6. And by that time your population is even bigger.. (don't get me wrong, just asking)

Last edited by Coach Rajko; 07-04-2014 at 11:58 AM..
 
Old 07-04-2014, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Pilipinas
282 posts, read 606,470 times
Reputation: 40
Kudos for the effort to post all of those. he he he we both came from SCC I guess.

Nice to see those Branded signatures, but those are on the retail sector.

What about big portfolio entity?

I need to review those condos and hotel btw. though impressive.
 
Old 07-04-2014, 11:47 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Reputation: 1798
Jakarta is in a worse location


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8aOFHcT238

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YhccbXRDok

But Manila definitely also floods, but mainly due to the clogged rivers, not because it's below sea level. And Manila is at a greater risk for a big earthquake because there's a fault line under the city.
 
Old 07-04-2014, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Pilipinas
282 posts, read 606,470 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Jakarta is in a worse location


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8aOFHcT238

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YhccbXRDok

But Manila definitely also floods, but mainly due to the clogged rivers, not because it's below sea level. And Manila is at a greater risk for a big earthquake because there's a fault line under the city.
I couldn't agree more sir!

Its happening now.. No countries are safe so to speak.that's why it is called as GLOBAL WARMING

As for that, I guess President Pnoy and MMDA (gov't sector incharge to that) are finalizing the master plan for that flooding. As JAPAN's JICA is helping in ironing out the best solution.

Re; Earthquake, well that's nature.. we can't do any 100 safety nets on that.
 
Old 07-04-2014, 05:03 PM
 
68 posts, read 186,007 times
Reputation: 14
Hi Rajko

Industrialization means that Indonesian companies also obtain the necessary know how through learning by doing, clustering and other stuff. In fact, many of the formerly foreign dominated sectors have been taken over by local companies. For instance, Bumi Resources which is majority owned by Indonesian is one of the largest coal exporter in the world. The important thing is that there is a constant increase in productivity. Many of the sectors in the Indonesian economy is sustainable. For instance, palm oil, which is one of our biggest industry, is increasing its productivity by producing higher end products, instead of exporting raw materials.
 
Old 07-04-2014, 05:32 PM
 
68 posts, read 186,007 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Jakarta is in a worse location


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8aOFHcT238

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YhccbXRDok

But Manila definitely also floods, but mainly due to the clogged rivers, not because it's below sea level. And Manila is at a greater risk for a big earthquake because there's a fault line under the city.
The flooding is a major issue in Jakarta due to land subsidence as a result of the extraction of ground water. Jakarta will need to build a flood barrier in the Java sea to stop sea level rise. This will be a very expensive project, but there is no alternative, unfortunately.

The project is called the National Capital Integrated Coastal Development (NCICD).
Here is what it will look like when it is finished:





Land reclamation has already begun in some of the projects that is slated to be built in the Java Sea. These are the initial plan that is already begun to be initiated. The two islands below are beginning to be made from the sea, plus the Priok Port development plan.















 
Old 07-04-2014, 05:40 PM
 
68 posts, read 186,007 times
Reputation: 14
Another part of the development of Jakarta bay is the expansion of Port Tanjung Priok, Indonesia's biggest port. The port is built in the ocean, because there is no more space to expand the port on the land. Its purported to be finished by 2018. Here is what its going to look like once finished:







latest:







Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top