U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:50 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Crime makes me run away as far as I can.

Don't know if it's paranoia or what but it legitimately scares me, although I've been to "hood" areas in Boston and Houston and absolutely laughed through it. They're soft cities but in Chicago, there are areas where I will never go due to the fear for my life. It's real scary there. I was scared of The Bronx too, just the look of the place turned me going to the other side of the boat (when I saw it from east river).

I can only imagine what those favelas in Rio de Janeiro are like and especially the horror situation in Juarez and Caracas. Jeeeeeez that's insane.
I walked around at night in Boston and never felt unsafe. I also walked around Memphis at night by myself - it was an eerie feeling. Heck in the day it was eerie, nobody around, vacant lots with grass as tall as me. The place almost looks like a deserted museum rather than a living city.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
"simple" rural background AKA "middle class rural" she's not dirt poor. She's not living on a sidewalk. That's why your comparisons are flawed.
Of course she isnt dirt poor....but she is still probinsyano...
Rural folks are seen as low class even if they graduate college..

so the only other reasonable option is comparing your typical manileno with a ati descent person....since the difference between a typical visayan and a typical manileno is too great

Old 01-27-2013, 06:32 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
Of course she isnt dirt poor....but she is still probinsyano...
Rural folks are seen as low class even if they graduate college..

so the only other reasonable option is comparing your typical manileno with a ati descent person....since the difference between a typical visayan and a typical manileno is too great
did you see my other post? Those people are not Ati. They're poor people in the Visayas. They dont look any different from poor people in the rest of the Philippines. Accuse me of cherry picking if you want, but notice that I didnt use any of the same pics as before, and i could have posted A LOT more than that.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
did you see my other post? Those people are not Ati. They're poor people in the Visayas. They dont look any different from poor people in the rest of the Philippines. Accuse me of cherry picking if you want, but notice that I didnt use any of the same pics as before, and i could have posted A LOT more than that.
Poorest people in visayas are of ati descent...ill give you that not all the people you posted looks ati descent but you tried your damn hardest looking for ati descent people

Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Poorest people in visayas are of ati descent...ill give you that not all the people you posted looks ati descent but you tried your damn hardest looking for ati descent people
Nope, wasn't hard. It's MUCH harder for you to find a group pics of Manilenos who look Timorese because you still havent found one...

Poorest people in ALL of the Philippines usually have more Australoid in them because the indigenous people of a country tend to get marginalized by the more recent groups. These are lowlanders who dont identify as Negritos and would probably slap you in your face if you called them that. The pics that I used for Visayas were not part of Ati tribes. And usually when people take pictures of actual Ati or tribal people, they label it as such. For example, a lot of the pics for Iloilo came from an album, and some of the pics were these...

centered | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

the real thing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and the tags for that pic are "indigenous" "ati" Yet NONE of the pics that I used had those tags because I dont lie like you. The person who took the pics, a Filipino from Iloilo knew the difference between regular lowland poor Visayans and Atis because they used those labels for those pics, but not the other pics of regular street people. You want to label all the people in those pics as tribal people, but even your fellow Visayans know that they're regular lowlanders. Your poor look like Manila's poor. You clearly dont like that a lot of Filipinos look like that so you try to push them off to Manila and say that all those people live there. Clearly they dont. They live in every part of the Philippines, embrace the diversity.

Last edited by Smtchll; 01-27-2013 at 07:16 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Nope, wasn't hard. It's MUCH harder for you to find a group pics of Manilenos who look Timorese because you still havent found one...

Poorest people in ALL of the Philippines usually have more Australoid in them because the indigenous people of a country tend to get marginalized by the more recent groups. These are lowlanders who dont identify as Negritos and would probably slap you in your face if you called them that. The pics that I used for Visayas were not part of Ati tribes. And usually when people take pictures of actual Ati or tribal people, they label it as such. For example, a lot of the pics for Iloilo came from an album, and some of the pics were these...

centered | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

the real thing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and the tags for that pic are "indigenous" "ati" Yet NONE of the pics that I used had those tags because I dont lie like you. The person who took the pics, a Filipino from Iloilo knew the difference between regular lowland poor Visayans and Atis because they used those labels for those pics, but not the other pics of regular street people. You want to label all the people in those pics as tribal people, but even your fellow Visayans know that they're regular lowlanders. Your poor look like Manila's poor. You clearly dont like that a lot of Filipinos look like that so you try to push them off to Manila and say that all those people live there. Clearly they dont. They live in every part of the Philippines, embrace the diversity.
they are not part of the tribe....but they are of ati descent

Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
they are not part of the tribe....but they are of ati descent
Maybe so but they were regular lowland Visayans who are poor

Just like the Manilenos you post pics of are regular lowland Tagalogs who are poor. And they look the exact same.

Like I said, the poor of the Philippines usually have the most Australoid blood because they were the first, and in most countries, the first settlers are the most marginalized by the more recent groups and they remain marginalized. Look at the Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, or the Maoris of New Zealand.

So next time when you compare, compare correctly. I wouldnt post a pic of a Tagalog college grad and then compare it to one of the pics I found of poor Visayans. That would be comparing apples to oranges, and you know that's what you're doing because you cant be that dumb.

Golden Tiger, Tiger Beer, and Great Jack all called you out on your pics, so it's not just me who thinks you're crazy

Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 AM

55 posts, read 97,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Anyone spent a lot of time in both cities? How would you compare them, which do you prefer?

These two Asian megapolises are often ignored in the region in favour of Singapore, KL, Bangkok.

Jakarta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jakarta's metro area is the 2nd largest in the world, with 28 million people! 10 million Indonesians live in the city limits.

Manila - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manila has a huge 21 million in it's metro, similar to NY's MSA! I had no idea it was so populous, it's really boomed.

Compare in aspects like geography, climate, built environment, architecture, aesthetics, poverty, dining/food, shopping, culture, entertainment, nightlife, safety, nearby natural attractions, history.etc.

Which is better for visiting?

Which is better for living?

Are the cities demographically much different?
Wow, this is a tough one. Both areas are extremely dangerous and dirty. I'm going to have to go with neither. These two cities are way too dangerous for civilized 1st world tourists to visit unless they want to come back in a body bag!

PS
Manila has no running sewage system. YUCK!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarah211 View Post
Wow, this is a tough one. Both areas are extremely dangerous and dirty. I'm going to have to go with neither. These two cities are way too dangerous for civilized 1st world tourists to visit unless they want to come back in a body bag!

PS
Manila has no running sewage system. YUCK!
Hmm...I've spent time in both cities....and I'm a 1st world person.

Manila has a running sewage system.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Maybe so but they were regular lowland Visayans who are poor

Just like the Manilenos you post pics of are regular lowland Tagalogs who are poor. And they look the exact same.

Like I said, the poor of the Philippines usually have the most Australoid blood because they were the first, and in most countries, the first settlers are the most marginalized by the more recent groups and they remain marginalized. Look at the Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, or the Maoris of New Zealand.

So next time when you compare, compare correctly. I wouldnt post a pic of a Tagalog college grad and then compare it to one of the pics I found of poor Visayans. That would be comparing apples to oranges, and you know that's what you're doing because you cant be that dumb.

Golden Tiger, Tiger Beer, and Great Jack all called you out on your pics, so it's not just me who thinks you're crazy
I dont think you get it....they are different because they are of a different race....not because of economic differences....lmao
the reason those ati descent people look similar to tagalogs is bevause they are ati descent...just brcause you found out how to cherrypick proves nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia