U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2014, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Reputation: 796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62914 View Post
The question is, do we really need those when there are lot more stores already selling the same? Just a plain question sir.
Because Ikea is the biggest in the world, furnitures become way cheaper because they produce more compare to smaller stores.

Dining in is also better compare to S&R because cafeteria is bigger and has more different foods to offer and gives the people a chance to taste Swedish food.

 
Old 07-06-2014, 03:33 AM
 
68 posts, read 186,033 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62914 View Post
Am I right that Jakarta (Meto) has 28 million plus people?
The conurbation has 18 million people. This includes Jakarta and the cities of Bogor, Tangerang, Bekasi and Depok.
 
Old 07-06-2014, 03:33 AM
 
96 posts, read 179,988 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Because Ikea is the biggest in the world, furnitures become way cheaper because they produce more compare to smaller stores.

Dining in is also better compare to S&R because cafeteria is bigger and has more different foods to offer and gives the people a chance to taste Swedish food.

That's nice info.
 
Old 07-06-2014, 03:35 AM
 
96 posts, read 179,988 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoberry View Post
The conurbation has 18 million people. This includes Jakarta and the cities of Bogor, Tangerang, Bekasi and Depok.
Ahh. So Jakarta should really house more shops and boutiques.

Metro Manila has only 11 million population. But still has a lot of malls, shops and boutiques.
 
Old 07-06-2014, 03:39 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,145,319 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62914 View Post
Indonesia should really be the leading producer given its population and land area.
Yes it should thats why its also the largest textile producer in SEA, car market and sparepart currently is Thai's largest but they dont really dominate anything else as far as i know, philippines was 2nd richest state but its now the poorest, the country is bpo center but the other industry is lagging. Indonesia is also producing its own military equipments.
 
Old 07-06-2014, 03:41 AM
 
68 posts, read 186,033 times
Reputation: 14
IKEA will be opened in Alam Sutera in Tangerang. So its not actually located in Jakarta, but in one of its urban suburbs. (all pics from skyscrapercity.com)



Latest pics:







Its next to the Alam Sutera Mall



 
Old 07-06-2014, 03:44 AM
 
68 posts, read 186,033 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62914 View Post
Ahh. So Jakarta should really house more shops and boutiques.

Metro Manila has only 11 million population. But still has a lot of malls, shops and boutiques.
Its an odd way of looking at it. If that's the case, then Singapore would have a tiny amount of stores, especially Kuala Lumpur which has only 500.000 people. What's more important is the AMOUNT OF HIGH NET WORTH INDIVIDUAL, i.e. the amount of rich people living there. There is absolutely no doubt that there is a much greater amount of rich people living in Jakarta versus in Manila.

Plus, as we've discussed earlier, Jakarta only amounts to 15% of Indonesian GDP while Manila up to 36% of Philippine GDP.
 
Old 07-06-2014, 04:15 AM
 
Location: Pilipinas
282 posts, read 606,519 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoberry View Post
That's the revenue of the BPO sector. Do you know how much the revenue of major sectors like coal and palm oil is?

You post news about the possibility of increasing FDI. If Malaysia and Vietnam, prospectie economies in themselves, are getting fewer FDI despite being more open, how could you claim that the Phils will suddenly shoot if it opens up? These are worthless speculations..

sorry for my tone, by the way. I get carried away sometimes.
no worries on the tone.

Yes i know your palm industry, (in fact we used to have a chance to bid for a project for Indo me foods in the Phils. their Bimoli oil..) and coal as major trade in asia, though you import alot on finished products such GASOLINE same as we do. Also, Palm industry will take place eventually in Ph, by First Pacific of MVP (who controlled PT Indofood).. though SMC would be their rival in Ph.

source:
First Pacific eyeing oil palm plantation - Manila Standard Today



But those items you mentioned are already part of your total export right? same as we do with the BPO as export service rendered. We might not be exporter of coal, etc. but we have a growing semi-conductor industry in those former US bases in the phils. And they are targeting to bolster more these industry to USD 37B by 2016. So totally you can't underestimate our potential in export though.

source:
Electronics sector eyes $37-B exports by 2016 | Business, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com


Re FDI policy reform in Ph, here is the much accurate news from reuters.
Philippines vice president backs easing foreign-investment rule | Reuters

sooner congress would do the reform to maximize potential FDI for Ph.

Re: My and Vn competitiveness, well the aswer all defends on the reforms of our FDI.. when that reform comes no doubt Ph export in manufacturing would boost eventually. As we got good remarks with those former investors in Subic who transferred to China before, that Filipino workers are easily to work with, no communication barriers, and that alone is a big factor to weigh when you are the capitalist aside from cheap labor off course.

Also, can I include this topic, yes you're way ahead in tourism output, but we are far better in REMITTANCES sector, both industries are not that stable shall we say. As you described remittance as temporary, same as describe tourism sector as vulnerable to political landscape, stability etc... factors that hampers Thailand's favorite source of export today.
Again, as i've said.. no question on where your country's economic position. let go back on track on the Jakarta v Manila.

Last edited by Coach Rajko; 07-06-2014 at 04:23 AM..
 
Old 07-06-2014, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Pilipinas
282 posts, read 606,519 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Yes it should thats why its also the largest textile producer in SEA, car market and sparepart currently is Thai's largest but they dont really dominate anything else as far as i know, philippines was 2nd richest state but its now the poorest, the country is bpo center but the other industry is lagging. Indonesia is also producing its own military equipments.
Source?

CRAP statement! We are the poorest???? We are better than Vietnam among other SEA nations though..

We at least experienced to become second to JAPAN way back then, and now we're doing good in Asean region once more.. while yours never experienced to reach what we had before.. Its just now that your economy is gaining fast now a days. Don't hallucinate on some things..don't be CHINA! To dream big is good, but to bent the history was crappy.

We are best in BPO so far i could proudly say.

Your PT Pal military industry is just shaping up, if they compete with other MILITARY builders in Asia like Hanjin who happened to be in Subic in Ph, Daewoo in Korea, Astral of Australia who happened to be located in Talamban Cebu in Phils.. they're having a hard time with those big players.

Luckily your PT Pal Military won the bidding in our NAVYs requirements. you should be thankful to that, it will generate incomes to those labor force of your country.

Sorry Indoberry for this, but this sounds... i don't know
 
Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 AM
 
Location: Pilipinas
282 posts, read 606,519 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoberry View Post
Its an odd way of looking at it. If that's the case, then Singapore would have a tiny amount of stores, especially Kuala Lumpur which has only 500.000 people. What's more important is the AMOUNT OF HIGH NET WORTH INDIVIDUAL, i.e. the amount of rich people living there. There is absolutely no doubt that there is a much greater amount of rich people living in Jakarta versus in Manila.

Plus, as we've discussed earlier, Jakarta only amounts to 15% of Indonesian GDP while Manila up to 36% of Philippine GDP.

I agree on that perspective re size of areas comparison, and to that dedicated consumer of your city, and that's synonymous to those luxury malls among others, and even the gap of rich people in two metropolitans of ours.

Also, no doubt on your 15% share of Jakarta, as it spreads almost balance among those in other areas. I beieve this is happening because large amount of that GDP are from exports of minerals, food, etc which are produced in other provinces. I'm I right on that?

While ours @ 36% because offices and BPOs are more in Manila, while other parts are mix of those other contributors in the GDP.

Now in Ph setting, despite the gap in rich people as you have said, luxury stuff are increasing in demand on all areas (those retail brands and even high value items like cars, condos, etc.. ) It is because of that remittances, and expenditures with those Fil ams, fil fors who visits the homeland. While yours is more of consumption from that rich sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top