U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 AM

96 posts, read 179,953 times

Advertisements

If I were to exclude the supermarkets included in the list, still more numerous than the over 170 malls.

Note that Jakarta is bigger in population and in land area.

If I am to include malls within the greater Metro Manila area, atleast 30 malls will be added in the list.

Also malls in the Philippines are generally bigger.

*Glorieta 1 to 5 counted as one only.
*Greenbelt 1 to 5 also counted as one only.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 AM

282 posts, read 606,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62914 View Post
According to the article cited, Jakarta, Indonesia has the most number of malls in the world at over 170 malls.

Based on this list: List of shopping malls in Metro Manila - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Metro Manila has around 200 malls excluding those under construction. hmmmm

Note: Jakarta has a bigger population and land area than what Metro Manila has. What if I consider the Malls located within the so called Mega Manila? The number of malls will surely exceed the 250 plus mark. Plus the fact that malls in the Philippines are usually bigger.

kudos to that boss you made me laugh on that...

anyway, I've double checked those entry in google, we forgot to include those under construction.. it seems very nice very concept mall.. And a man made canal.

take a look at this one, Italy is almost here in M.Manila, what can you say to that?...

Venice Grand Canal Mall @ BGC AGAIN!

AWESOME! Take a look at the windows boss, they've recreated...Venetian architecture though..

I can't wait for this, imagine malling/shoping riding on a gondola while having a cone of gelato...

Though boss Goshio I'm pretty sure won't appreciate this, for what ever the idea is all about it boils down to BULGARI, ZARA, CHANNEL, GUCCI, ARMANI etc

Last edited by Coach Rajko; 07-08-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 11:51 AM

McKinley Hill from different angle @ BGC

VERY NICE HORIZON, on the foreground is McKinley Hill, then on the background is BGC. I remember before, it was just a marine barracks with vast grassland, now it's booming.. opppsss.. STILL NO GUCCI, ARMANI, BULGARI, ZARA, MANGO..

Last edited by Coach Rajko; 07-08-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
If I were to exclude the supermarkets included in the list, still more numerous than the over 170 malls.

If I am to include malls within the greater Metro Manila area, atleast 30 malls will be added in the list.

Indeed!

Greenbelts 1 to 5 will give them a run for their money that's for sure.. at the top of Greenbelt 3 there's a VIP Bar, very exclusive.. that sometimes high profile celebrities from around the globe are there.

Though... no BULGARI, ARMANI, GUCCI, CHANNEL inside the bar.. so still no bearing I guess....

Last edited by Coach Rajko; 07-08-2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 12:21 PM

EAST OF ORTIGAS CENTER PASIG CITY

Very Nice, how I wish I had brought my telescope... I can't find any GUCCI, ARMANI, CHANNEL, BULGARI in the dark..

Beside that vacant lot, another mall is about to finish...

ESTANCIA MALL OF THE ORTIGAS GROUP

wait wait wait... I SEE SOME BLACK SIGNAGES... Would it be the BULGARI, GUCCI, CHANNEL, ZARA...

Hmmnn.. that's for us to ponder soon.. ciao!

Last edited by Coach Rajko; 07-08-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 02:01 PM

68 posts, read 185,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Rajko View Post
I'm just curious on video actually. no offense

You have the data, the luxuries, etc.. how come you still have this scenario of life for a common hard working Indonesian family man? I thought it was a story of my fellowman... Or it was just a propaganda of world bank?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AijpJboSI5w

You have a 1000USD higher on PPP per year as compared to our working class masses.
We're a developing country, so there is still a lot of poverty.

But I think the socio-economic of the Philippines is definitely worse than in Indonesia.

For instance, the Philippines has the HIGHEST UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IN ASEAN
PH has highest Asean unemployment rate

The percentage of poverty in the Philippines (below the poverty line) is a whoping 25.2%PSA-Makati - Poverty Statistics

And the Phils economic growth has done little to alleviate poverty, with levels staying the same since 2006!!
Poverty level in Phl unchanged since
Philippine Poverty Rate Improves Little Despite Economic Growth - Southeast Asia Real Time - WSJ

whereas in Indonesia, the percentage of poverty is only 11.4%, signalling a more inclusive growth as it continually drops.
Indonesia | Data

Another thing is the lack of social security net in the Philippines.
For instance, the Phil has one of the highest electricity rates in ASIA!! Not only high, but apparently quite unreliable. Whereas Indonesia's electricity rate is subsidized by the government.
High electricity costs root of our backwardness | The Manila Times Online
Power Struggles in the Philippines - Southeast Asia Real Time - WSJ

Indonesian consumer gets a lot of subsidy from the government as part of the social safety net. For instance, the price of oil in the Philippines is determined by world market, but in Indonesia, its heavily subsidized. So the poor people living in Indonesia is better off than poor people living in the Philippines.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Jakarta still have more mall space apparently if you look at the figure Goschio has shown. That means we have more malls, more mall space and more luxury stores

Here are a sample of malls in Jakarta. On average, they're quite big enough. There are lots and lots of malls all over the city.

Taman Anggrek (has one of the largest electronic display facade in the world)

Scandinavian home appliance store JYSK

Green Bay Pluit

The Breeze Lifestyle Mall

Ciputra World Jakarta

Plaza Senayan

Living World

Summarecon Mall

Central Park

Bintaro Exchange

Grand Metropolitan Mall

Kuningan City

Gandaria City

Kota Kasablanka

Mall Kelapa Gading

Pondok Indah Mall

FX Sudirman

Teraskota

Pluit Village

Emporium Pluit

Old 07-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Indonesia has the biggest domestic airline market in Southeast Asia. As a result, the local airline industry has been cashing in on this wave of growth.

Indonesia's Lion Air is the world's fastest growing airlines. They ordered 234 airbus planes worth 24 billion dollars and 230 boeing planes worth 22.4 billion dollars!

Boeing Signs Record $22.4 Billion Lion Air Order for 737s - Bloomberg
Indonesia's Lion Air Orders 234 Airbus Planes - WSJ

Meanwhile, Garuda Indonesia has been upgraded to a four star airlines and has joined the Skyteam alliance. It has received numerous awards from Skytrax, including the world's best economy class.

Garuda Indonesia Cabin

Old 07-08-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:

kudos to that boss you made me laugh on that...

anyway, I've double checked those entry in google, we forgot to include those under construction.. it seems very nice very concept mall.. And a man made canal.

take a look at this one, Italy is almost here in M.Manila, what can you say to that?...

AWESOME! Take a look at the windows boss, they've recreated...Venetian architecture though..

I can't wait for this, imagine malling/shoping riding on a gondola while having a cone of gelato...

Though boss Goshio I'm pretty sure won't appreciate this, for what ever the idea is all about it boils down to BULGARI, ZARA, CHANNEL, GUCCI, ARMANI etc
Why are a lot of Manila's mall look kinda cheap?

Old 07-08-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Just a little info..

Many of rich people here in the Philippines don't declare their assets and liabilities. That's why black market here are big, that Port **** I've posted in the tip town of Northern Phils almost near to Taiwan is just one example, who disposed around 200 plus (on average per month) Luxury cars quietly. That's why Costoms Dept. here are always on hot seat of those unstoppable practice.

Like corrupt politicians who have billions in pocket (as eventually exposed to media), and yet not on the Top 50 lists of riches people of the country. or Chinese Filipinos who use dummy to hide their assets and to avoid taxes which is huge here, that;s sometimes reaches to 32% of your declared profit.

just saying.
That's the same in Indonesia. But retailers can gauge the markets by other means. They don't have to ask the government's tax records. lol. Through these other means, they can then decide whether investing in a certain market is more profitable than not. That's why there is such a huge luxury market in Jakarta. Its because retailers know the massive amounts of rich people the city has.

Do you know that 30% of all luxurious condominium in Singapore is owned by Indonesian. In Singapore, Indonesian are considered to be either very rich or just a maid. Whereas Filipino is generally considered basically just maids/low class worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia