U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 PM

15 posts, read 22,234 times

Advertisements

LOL, just for your information, your Skyway is actually being built by Indonesian company...

and btw you also imported our technology...

The Sosrobahu: A Thousand Shoulders

SosrobahuThe ambitious South Metro Manila Skyway Project (SMMSP) aims to create an infrastructure that makes vehicular travel between Metro Manila and the southern neighboring communities and provinces faster, safer, more comfortable.

In undertaking SMMSP, which primarily involves the construction of elevated expressway from Buendia in Makati City to Alabang in Muntinlupa City, Citra Metro Manila Tollways Corporation (CMMTC) uses the “sosrobahu,” the unique technology invented by an Indonesian engineer, Tjokorda Raka Sukawati, and perfected by Hutama-Karya, a respectable construction company in Indonesia, where Engr. Tjokorda was a former director.

The “sosrobahu” which means “a thousand shoulder,” is a frictionless rotating device that allows the construction of elevated roads without major disruption on the flow of traffic on the ground. It has been extensively tested and used in the construction of the Cawang-Tanjung Priok elevated expressway in Indonesia, where the first actual pierhead rotation was inaugurated by then President Suharto on July 7 , 1988. This device was since used in many other major viaduct projects in Indonesia.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:32 PM

68 posts, read 186,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Rajko View Post
I agree with neMarl

you need to have a similar scale size map of both cities to say that Jakarta has more highways, otherwise its pre mature.

What I can say is that Metro Manila has 3 Skyways (elevated highways) around 40 kms combined plus the 3rd level soon of Skyway-3 for Taft area.

Here are other major higways of M.Manila that connect cities.

based on my map used when driving

EDSA Ave - 54kms. long (exact lenght)
TAFT Ave. - 10 kms. estimate
Commonwealth Ave. - 40 kms. estimate
Aurora Blvd. - 25 kms. estimate
Shaw Ave. - 20 kms. estimate
Katipunan Ave. - 30kms. estimate
A. Bonifacio Ave. - 35 kms. estimate
Magsaysay Blvd. - 20 kms. estimate
Roxas Blvd. - 35Kms. estimate
South Express Way - 45 kms.
C-5 Road - 60 kms. estimate
Ortigas Ave. - 40 kms. estimate
Buendia Ave. - 15 kms. estimate
Marcos Highway - 30 kms estimate
Felix Avenue - 10 kms. estimate
P. Tuazon Ave. - 15 kms. estimate
Congressional Road - 40 kms. estimate
Muntinlupa road - 25 kms. estimate
Daang Hari road - 20 kms. estimate
Fairview to Grotto - 40 kms. estimate
West Ave. - 20 kms. estimate
Quezon Avenue - 25 kms. estimate
Roosevelt Ave. - 15 kms. estimate
Visayas Ave. - 10 kms. estimate
Mindanao Ave. - 10 kms. estimate
Sucat Road - 55 kms. estimate
Mindanao Ave extension to Nlex - 30 kms estimate
Macapagal Blvd - 10 kms estimate
611 NAIA Road - 5kms. estimate
Sumulong Highway 15 kms. estimate
Cal. to Malanday Mc Arthur - 15 kms. estimate
C. Raymundo Avenue - 20 kms. estimate

Not to include sub roads (streets and roads), FLY OVERS, INTERCHANGE, TUNNELS inside per cities.
These aren't highways. Highways means its grade separated. Avenues are just regular roads.

Jakarta has two ring road highways, while Manila highways isn't even connected! You have to go through regular streets in the middle of the city in order to get from the north luzon highway and south luzon highway.

Anyway, I've been away from a vacation. Plus with the election, its much more interesting than this forum at the moment. Haha.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:48 PM

226 posts, read 53,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Rajko View Post
How many tunnels do you have in Metro Jakarta? (Just asking) tnx
Jakarta has quite many, but it's such a waste to list them one by one. Jakarta current longest is Cibubur underpass. It reaches 1,130 meters long, consists of 93m underpass box and 1+ km access road. Not that long actually since Jakarta choses the flyover option which is free from flood than tunnel ... Wait until the proposed smart tunnel project like the one in KL is finished to ease traffic as well as to help maintain the flood

Old 07-28-2014, 05:25 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,083,536 times
no use fighting each other guys on who is better Manila or Jakarta. you can not really compare just like oranges or apples. Manilans would always say Manila is better and Jakartans would also say Jakarta is better. its just natural to go with the city you know or you've have grown to even if it sucks.

I was born 670km north of Manila and lived in Manila for 16 years and I know pretty well Metro Manila. regarding the airport, it maybe the worst airport in the world but where can you find an international airport that does not involved miles and miles of walking just to get out or get in? see what I mean? once you are out of the tube, you are immediately at the immigration and out you go.

the traffic is horrible though especially during Christmas. even now, I would not want driving in Metro Manila, so many vehicles and lack of parking. I prefer commuting, especially when Im alone

im sure both cities are hot and humid and have horrible traffic as well

Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,083,536 times
and what is the pre occupation about malls? there are more to life than hanging out at the malls.

what people should be concerned to is that why cant they swim at Manila Bay when they want to? if only you can visit Hawaii, right beside the port, you can take a dip and don't worry about being infected with microbes or oil spill or garbage.

if only Manila Bay is clean, im sure people would not be flocking to the malls just to refresh themselves because of the free AC. they would be frolicking at baywalk having suntan

Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoberry View Post
These aren't highways. Highways means its grade separated. Avenues are just regular roads.

Jakarta has two ring road highways, while Manila highways isn't even connected! You have to go through regular streets in the middle of the city in order to get from the north luzon highway and south luzon highway.

Anyway, I've been away from a vacation. Plus with the election, its much more interesting than this forum at the moment. Haha.
No, you can take EDSA. It's not a full controlled-access highway like NLEX/SLEX, but it's limited access and there are no stop lights (besides one at the very beginning). What makes it not controlled-access is that cars can enter and exit at many different points. Instead of on/off ramps like a controlled-access highway, there are mostly exit/enter lanes on the right. You can see it here
https://goo.gl/maps/OTcSd

They're not as efficient as enter/exit ramps, but they serve the same purpose and traffic doesn't stop (theoretically)

At the intersections, there are overpasses/underpasses and true entrance/exit ramps, like this intersection
https://goo.gl/maps/p0vbP

So it's not a regular road because traffic flows continuously (again, theoretically). It's a highway, but it's still a mess.

Last edited by Smtchll; 07-28-2014 at 06:56 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 05:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,148,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
and what is the pre occupation about malls? there are more to life than hanging out at the malls.

what people should be concerned to is that why cant they swim at Manila Bay when they want to? if only you can visit Hawaii, right beside the port, you can take a dip and don't worry about being infected with microbes or oil spill or garbage.

if only Manila Bay is clean, im sure people would not be flocking to the malls just to refresh themselves because of the free AC. they would be frolicking at baywalk having suntan
I don't know you tell me. They just wouldn't want to believe in the data i presented, i don't even know what's the deal if we have more malls anyway.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 AM

190 posts, read 187,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
I don't know you tell me. They just wouldn't want to believe in the data i presented, i don't even know what's the deal if we have more malls anyway.
Goshio I apologize for my countrymen's misplaced pride. But we have to accept the fact that as long as Filipinos birth 3.0 children per women (which we currently have) and Indonesians birth 2.0 children per woman (which you currently have). Naturally, Indonesians will be richer per GDP per capita because you would have lesser mouths to feed.

I just want to congrats Indonesians in this regard. But I also apreciate my fellow Filipino's fighting spirit though.

Perhaps in the future when all these money-eaters with no income of their own (children) [which we have more of] grow-up we may catch-up to and overtake Indonesia in HDI but we have to wait a while though.

Kids are current expense but a future asset.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 AM

190 posts, read 187,980 times
Lolz this friendly Indonesia-Philippine rivalry is like the rivalry between South Korea and Japan.

Except, the rivalry between 50 million strong South Korea and 120 million strong Japan would be puny compared to the rivalry between 100 million strong Philippines and 237 million strong Indonesia.

Instead of fighting with one another, it would have been better if we united against those two, because by sheer man-power alone we can easily replace the Korean-wave or Japanese Animue cultural phenomenon by the sheer might and number of our people. What do you say? Enough of Jakarta vs Manila bickering it's time we eclipse the East Asians and make this the Southeast Asian Era!

Let's unite and kick those snobbish East Asians from their pedestals.

Ok. Battle-plan.

You Indonesians can go invade South Korea while we will go invade Japan. Teheeheehee.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:55 AM

1,023 posts, read 899,220 times
I am not really impressed with the GDP figure. The greatest indicator of qualifty of life of every country is HDI in which Indonesia is now ahead of PH. Wonder if there is city HDI ranking. WOuld love to see these 2 cities compared with the likes of New York and London haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia