U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Reputation: 1798

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
yes...just like finding a haitian american in maine....its not so hard to find out if they stick out like a sore thumb

either way your still dodging the question

why do you think you race correlates to your economic status???

when the pictures posted clearly show otherwise
Race correlates with economic status in the Philippines often, but not all of the time. It's pretty well-known that people of Chinese-descent are usually well-off, and Negritos are pretty much at the bottom, but that doesn't mean that every single person in those categories is that way. Not everything is so cut and dry, like not all these kinds of people live here and all these kinds of people live there. I know you love to categorize everything but life isn't that simple.

The middle-classes have the most diversity in the Philippines, so you'll find all kinds of looks.

 
Old 02-18-2013, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,730 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Race correlates with economic status in the Philippines often, but not all of the time. It's pretty well-known that people of Chinese-descent are usually well-off, and Negritos are pretty much at the bottom, but that doesn't mean that every single person in those categories is that way. Not everything is so cut and dry, like not all these kinds of people live here and all these kinds of people live there. I know you love to categorize everything but life isn't that simple.

The middle-classes have the most diversity in the Philippines, so you'll find all kinds of looks.

again your the one classifying here....according to you only rich people could be college graduates

All australoid looking people are taong grasa ...when that negrita looking woman is riding a 4 runner SUV and sporting gucci bags

And that all college graduates are rich...when my cousin comes from a much more simple life...and couldnt afford the luxuries of life like that negrita women has

so really who is categorizing???

btw I never said all the people of one area is only a certain kind

I said majority of people in Manila are remontados...go look that up to find out what it means
Is it a coincidence that the heartland of tagalog land also has the largest remontado population in the Philippines??
 
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,730 times
Reputation: 129
okay I give up....we are all the same.....happy??....lol

Philippines is just one big mega race that goes from completely black looking to completely EA looking
 
Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
okay I give up....we are all the same.....happy??....lol

Philippines is just one big mega race that goes from completely black looking to completely EA looking
yep
 
Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,730 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yep
I also give in to your argument that michael Jackson became european because he became rich
 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I also give in to your argument that michael Jackson became european because he became rich
If you can't see how it's a bad comparison to compare a person on a sidewalk to a person in a graduation pic then I don't know what else to tell you.
 
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,730 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
If you can't see how it's a bad comparison to compare a person on a sidewalk to a person in a graduation pic then I don't know what else to tell you.
oh because only rich people can graduate school right???

you never heard of scholarships and grants before??
 
Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
oh because only rich people can graduate school right???

you never heard of scholarships and grants before??
Rather than having to explain, "yes, she's a college graduate, but she's as poor as a person living on the sidewalk, she just workerd harder" You could have simply just provided a picture of Visayans living on a sidewalk if you wanted something to compare to Manilenos on a sidewalk. There are plenty of pics of Visayans living on the street, but you somehow thought it was a better comparison to use your cousin's pic. I really cant follow your reasoning there. I wouldn't compare a college grad in Manila to a person living on a sidewalk in Iloilo, but maybe I'm the crazy one?. Really, none of this matters in the first place. Get a life

Last edited by Smtchll; 02-19-2013 at 12:50 PM..
 
Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,730 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Rather than having to explain, "yes, she's a college graduate, but she's as poor as a person living on the sidewalk, she just workerd harder" You could have simply just provided a picture of Visayans living on a sidewalk if you wanted something to compare to Manilenos on a sidewalk. There are plenty of pics of Visayans living on the street, but you somehow thought it was a better comparison to use your cousin's pic. I really cant follow your reasoning there. I wouldn't compare a college grad in Manila to a person living on a sidewalk in Iloilo, but maybe I'm the crazy one?. Really, none of this matters in the first place. Get a life
first of all if they are of the same social class...there would be no problem comparing....you do know that Manilenos think anyone from the provinces is low class....even a poor manileno living on a sidewalk would look down on a provincial man who made something of himself


there are actually less beggars in Iloilo......taken from a foreigner's account
probably due to the fact that their are less ati hybrids....Manila being hybrid city you would have masses of beggars
Quote:
The upside of this is that the foreigner is more a curiosity than an opportunity and is generally left in peace and treated with respect. Itís unusual for me to be overcharged or otherwise taken solicited or taken advantage of because Iím a foreigner. There are not so many beggars. Sometimes when I do see children begging money, they will approach other Filipinos or my wife but not me. I have never been approached by prostitutes or other hustlers as I have been in Cebu City and Manila. I wonder if the relative lack of begging and prostitution relates to Ilonggo pride.
 
Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
first of all if they are of the same social class...there would be no problem comparing....you do know that Manilenos think anyone from the provinces is low class....even a poor manileno living on a sidewalk would look down on a provincial man who made something of himself


there are actually less beggars in Iloilo......taken from a foreigner's account
probably due to the fact that their are less ati hybrids....Manila being hybrid city you would have masses of beggars
yeah there are less beggars in Iloilo than Manila because there are 12 million people in Manila compared to 500,000 in Iloilo.

And they were not clearly from the same social class because I don't equate someone living on the sidewalk with someone who is clearly not living on a sidewalk. If you had a picture of her eating dinner on a sidewalk, then I'd say they were from the same social class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top