U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 11:36 AM

345 posts, read 154,595 times

Advertisements

Goa is definitely not an American spring break type of place. Season is Oct-March (starts getting hot in April). Most tourists are from Europe. Many retired Brits spend weeks/months there. Domestic tourists go year-round including during monsoon - the young guys can be annoying. You'll find the partiers in the clubs. Goa is the least "Indian" like place in India - not conservative because of the foreigners in their shorts and swim wear. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 11:47 AM

211 posts, read 121,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is this in reference to European college kids during their holidays???

I don't naturally associate anywhere in India for their youthful, hot, and interesting women. Not that Indian women aren't attractive, it's just the culture and society seems overly conservative.
Agreed. I can't picture Indian girls at a bar wearing skimpy clothes in the US, let alone in India. Auntie wouldn't be very happy about that

Old 06-09-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
Agreed. I can't picture Indian girls at a bar wearing skimpy clothes in the US, let alone in India. Auntie wouldn't be very happy about that
You'll find them. They're hanging in the clubs in the big cities in India.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:47 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
You'll find them. They're hanging in the clubs in the big cities in India.
Aren't most Indian cities dry with alcohol?

Old 06-10-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Aren't most Indian cities dry with alcohol?
Actually there are only about 3 or 4 places out of 30+ where alcohol is banned. There are certain days all across the country that are designated as dry (major holidays, election day, etc.). Even in those dry places or on dry days a foreigner can still purchase alcohol at 5 star hotels by showing their passport.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:55 AM

Actually I should have been more clear...although there are 3 or 4 full states/territories where alcohol is banned, there are other towns in other states (mostly religious) where alcohol is banned. Overall, it's very easy to get alcohol.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Actually there are only about 3 or 4 places out of 30+ where alcohol is banned. There are certain days all across the country that are designated as dry (major holidays, election day, etc.). Even in those dry places or on dry days a foreigner can still purchase alcohol at 5 star hotels by showing their passport.
That sounds boring to have to go to a 5-star hotel with your passport, to get a beer.

I mean, maybe to a chronic alcohol, that would sound great.

But, any kind of culture like that, implies that there will be no social interaction happening whatsoever around having a beer. But, I suppose your point is that India isn't all that dry, so thanks for that.

I've read that basically there is NO pub culture whatsoever, outside of just a few areas - Bangladore, Mumbai and Goa, and even those wouldn't be that great.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
That sounds boring to have to go to a 5-star hotel with your passport, to get a beer.

I mean, maybe to a chronic alcohol, that would sound great.

But, any kind of culture like that, implies that there will be no social interaction happening whatsoever around having a beer. But, I suppose your point is that India isn't all that dry, so thanks for that.

I've read that basically there is NO pub culture whatsoever, outside of just a few areas - Bangladore, Mumbai and Goa, and even those wouldn't be that great.
The only time to go to a 5 star is the few days a year when it's dry and that's only for foreigners who need a drink. :-) Rest of the time it's party time. If you're a local you can find booze 365 days a year ANYWHERE in India.

Don't know where you got your info about clubs/pub but totally not true - there are plenty of clubs. In Mumbai lots of clubs - same as Delhi - and anywhere else you'd find an expats population (suburbs of the cities). All types of places from little booze joints to upscale clubs where some of Bollywood parties - to dance bars (women dancers, not strippers though). Time Out magazine is in the big cities with all the party info and if you Google you'll find plenty of places to go. The ones in Goa are definitely more pickup places - Indian guys trying to pick up foreigners.

A lot of foreigners have misconceptions about India. It's not all cows, yoga, and conservatism. :-) Most people are very surprised by it.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
The only time to go to a 5 star is the few days a year when it's dry and that's only for foreigners who need a drink. :-) Rest of the time it's party time. If you're a local you can find booze 365 days a year ANYWHERE in India.

Don't know where you got your info about clubs/pub but totally not true - there are plenty of clubs. In Mumbai lots of clubs - same as Delhi - and anywhere else you'd find an expats population (suburbs of the cities). All types of places from little booze joints to upscale clubs where some of Bollywood parties - to dance bars (women dancers, not strippers though). Time Out magazine is in the big cities with all the party info and if you Google you'll find plenty of places to go. The ones in Goa are definitely more pickup places - Indian guys trying to pick up foreigners.

A lot of foreigners have misconceptions about India. It's not all cows, yoga, and conservatism. :-) Most people are very surprised by it.
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, you might be right...

I have only visited Mumbai...I did find some nightlife...but I was expecting it for Mumbai.

I'll have to explore more, for sure. Goa and Bangalore included in that...

Old 06-11-2017, 07:42 AM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safaridubai View Post
I've never been to Goa, so can't help you
So why comment at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia